Sponsored by:

Silver Crest Steering Wheel Complete

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silver Crest Steering Wheel Complete

Completed all new upgrades Bilstein Pss10, RS strut bar, New headlight lens glass, clear corners, re worked fog lights, new bulbs all, 340mm FVD steering wheel with crest . Lots of work / lots of fun / lots of CASH!!! Thanks for all your help especially the great DIY's.

Thanks

Mark
Attached Images     

Last edited by MARK993C2S; 03-07-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

All excellent upgrades and that wheel looks so good. I just got a 340mm FVD Silberpfeil and am looking for a silver crest. I might just to what you did with the ebay one. Now go enjoy it!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

This shows the ride height better.

Mark
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2010, 02:41 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Franz993
All excellent upgrades and that wheel looks so good. I just got a 340mm FVD Silberpfeil and am looking for a silver crest. I might just to what you did with the ebay one. Now go enjoy it!
Franz, thanks, the steering wheels are just awesome. It really feels like a new car with the upgrades. The steering seems much quicker with this wheel.

Mark
Old 03-07-2010, 03:07 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Really nice job, that wheel looks great, have to give that some thought. How does the crest fit, is it sitting over a pre-exisiting embossing?
Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Roger, all I did was use a towel over the crest sitting on flat metal surface of a vice. Made a direct hit with rubber mallet just enough to flatten it out slightly. Put 3M double sided tape used some painters tape to nail down the exact location press hard done. I purchased the Crest off ebay apparently it's off a 356 hood, it was just what I was looking for it matches silver gauge rings and other interior features just right. These FVD airbags have no embossing from the factory, the steering wheels are first class in quality. I'm just glad to be rid of the factory tractor wheel.

Mark
Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Great detail on the wheel. I have the same one but never considered the emblem. I wonder if you get that imprinted on your forehead when the airbag activates?
I have the same classic grey interior and the same strutbar, except mine's out of carbon. I still wonder if it does anything as I couldn't feel a before and after on the butt o meter.
Where do I find an emblem like that? It looks smaller then the ones you can buy for the center cap on the rim. Those come in silver or colored. I'd prefer the colored one.
Thanks for sharing.
Ed
Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Ed, I can definetly tell a big difference but it's the new suspension coupled with the wheel I'm sure. This wheel is quite a bit smaller in diameter from the original so that must make it feel more responsive to steering input. Plus the thing feels so good in your hand it's like driving a different car for me. As far as the forehead tattoo I think air bags open on a pivot action, lets face it several high end cars have emblems in center of the wheel. The Crest is Silver and Black it comes off a 356 Hood, you have to cut the post off with a dremel tool prior to mounting. $25.00 incl shipping From VWISPWEST.COM measures approx.
1 1/2" long 1 1/4" wide smaller than center cap for sure. If you want a colored one Performance sells
those for $80.00.

Thanks Mark
Old 03-08-2010, 10:26 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

you should also hardwire the V1 and get it tucked up above the mirror and out of the way....it's begging to be stolen being out in the open.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:28 AM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
you should also hardwire the V1 and get it tucked up above the mirror and out of the way....it's begging to be stolen being out in the open.
Nice job on the upgrades!
IHard wiring the V1 is a easy hour project. I ran the remote cord under the dash and under the windshield seal to the right side of the mirror. Place the V1 with the suction cup mount directly above the mirror. It's nearly invisible from viewed from the exterior.
Here is a picture of where I mounted the V1 remote. Some put it on the carpet right above the console too. I found it more visible where I mounted it.
Also, I would remove the oil bottle from the safety triangle holder or at least put it in a ziplock bag to protect that carpet from drips or a loose cap.
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by air eater
...I ran the remote cord under the dash and under the windshield seal to the right side of the mirror. Place the V1 with the suction cup mount directly above the mirror. It's nearly invisible from viewed from the exterior.
Here is a picture of where I mounted the V1 remote. Some put it on the carpet right above the console too. I found it more visible where I mounted it.....
FYI, if you don't use the ashtray, the V1 remote display is a friction fit into the plastic sleeve. You need to widen the small white plastic plug slightly so you can run the wire through. Once you close the ashtray, the display is completely hidden. Also in some states (ie California) it is now illegal to have a radar detector mounted to the windshield....if you search I posted a thread of my DIY to fashion a bracket to mount the radar detector using the visor mounts. It tucks the detector very high, is inconspicuous and lessen the chance of it flying around the cabin in an accident.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Safemoney
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a "normal" crest - anyone have any tips?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys on the V1, I will check the DIY and make the installation. Thanks for the nice comments on the upgrades.

Mark
Old 03-15-2010, 10:25 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mark-- Great thread, & eBay sleuthing. Silver's tempting!
Originally Posted by EckFe1
Where do I find an emblem like that? I'd prefer the colored one.
Originally Posted by MARK993C2S
The Crest is Silver and Black it comes off a 356 Hood. If you want a colored one Performance sells those for $80.00.
Originally Posted by Safemoney
Looking for a "normal" crest - anyone have any tips?
Ed-- Hopefully helpful: eagleDay.com's Porsche Mini Hood Crest Kit ... "Originally used as hood handle emblem on 356s and later to adorn various factory accessories."

No affiliation.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:10 PM
MARK993C2S
Intermediate

Thanks Curve

Mark

Quick Reply: Silver Crest Steering Wheel Complete