Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had to pick just 1 car to keep, which one would you keep? (993 vs 740i)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Steve- you mentioned something about your wife hitting the slopes mid-week when they are cheap. Does she work? If not, is her going back to work a possibility? Your step-daughter is close to graduating from high school and probably self-sufficient, so I would think she might have the time. Seems to me a couple of grand a month might help you close the gap regardless of whether you sell the 993.
She works for her parents. She takes care of her ailing mom during the week an in turn, they buy all our groceries when they go out together to shop, plus much of her clothes, some of my clothes, some ski stuff now and then, and her shoes too! They've been great. So that is her job. She has medical issues so she can't handle a "real" job anymore but taking care of her mom who is somewhat out of it is a huge job.

Mo-Town - my 993 has about 86k miles on it now. Your idea of selling both cars and leasing a new Honda Accord with no repair expense is an idea to consider. I'm not really into leasing, as I think I might do better buying a 3 year old one for $10k or so, but having a new one would be A LOT nicer and much less outlay of money.

Buying a Crown Vic and a Miata? Now that would be a trip. Definitely a style adjustment there.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:52 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Suggesting a lease of a new car to a person who has no money is so bizarre that it doesn't merit a comment.

Steve, I think what needed to be said has been said - sell the 993 and decide if you need the house. If you do, refinance and see how it goes. If you don't, consider selling and downsizing (my friends moved to a 2200 house in Potomac for about $550 and a lot of sweat equity. but Potomac is not really a need either, I'd think).
Old 03-07-2010, 07:59 PM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1600 square foot houses in Bethesda which cost 600 grand now will cost 350 in 3 years.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:12 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
The 1600 square foot houses in Bethesda which cost 600 grand now will cost 350 in 3 years.
If you are saying housing prices are going to keep dropping then his house is the biggest depreciating asset of them all. I would then keep the Porsche and sell the house.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
samsnead
Pro

Steve,

I am sorry to hear of your predicament, makes me realize how fortunate I am.

There have been a lot of great suggestions here, allow me to throw my 2 cents in.

-As others have mentioned, having that much house in your current situation is too much. If you absolutely have to stay there refininace, going to a 30 year fixed will cut your payment in half. If you make one extra payment a year it will cut 5 years off your mortgage. As your situation improves you can pay the principal down as you see fit.

-If you do move I wouldnt worry about the fact that your house's value has gone down, so have all the other properties that you will be looking at.

-Little things may help you save money on the property, negotiate a lower commission with the realtor, I just bought a property last fall and the rate was 5%(coldwell Banker). Once your house is sold and have cash in hand, you may be able to negotaite a cash deal for the new house, some buyers may be willing to take less for a quick guaranteed deal, rather than wait 45 days and potentially lose the deal to mortgage issues.

-Sell the 7 series and get a more practical DD, those cars are a nightmare to maintain. You will still have the 993 to drive when you want some fun

-Not to add more pressure, but unless you have a great pension at work you really need to start focusing more on your retirement. Although $400k sounds like a great deal of money, it will not last once you retire. Most say that you can withdraw 4% of the principal annually without impacting the principle long term.

-If you downsize and reduce your monthly expenses, you will be able to immediately add considerably to your savings. If you retire in 15 years the money will have likely increased 4 x (assuming the market improves).

I hope you find a solution that works for, I am sure you will be relieved once you get it done. If your work situation improves in the future you can return to the lifestyle that you have previously enjoyed.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,027 Likes on 1,786 Posts

Steve,

I won't go into great personal detail here as this is about you, not me, but suffice to say I'm a 37 y/o entrepreneur who has lived through three personal peaks and valleys so far. In my personal experience and from observation, the best way to turn around a difficult financial situation is to take swift and drastic measures. You seem to be trying very hard to hang on to your lifestyle. IMO, that seems like a good way for your to slowly choke yourself and your family to death financially. If I were you, I would:

a) sell your three cars and buy two used $5-10k reliable cars.
b) sell your home and rent a 1,500 sqft condo.
c) fire your financial advisor, find a successful one and put all of your money to work now.
d) start looking for a job that will pay you the kind of money you think your experience should command today.

If you take this no-BS approach as opposed to trying to band-aid your way out of it, you will be surprised how quickly and strongly you bounce back. More importantly, you will be amazed at the invaluable insights you gain and important lessons you learn through the process. It will take ***** but the payoff will come in more ways than just economic benefit. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Suggesting a lease of a new car to a person who has no money is so bizarre that it doesn't merit a comment.

Steve, I think what needed to be said has been said - sell the 993 and decide if you need the house. If you do, refinance and see how it goes. If you don't, consider selling and downsizing (my friends moved to a 2200 house in Potomac for about $550 and a lot of sweat equity. but Potomac is not really a need either, I'd think).
We will definitely look into refinancing next week!

Here's what $597k in Potomac offers these days. We'd have to battle it out over the 1 car garage

This is what $550k offers there...1344 sq ft.

THIS IS A GREAT LOCATION..VALUE IS THE LAND..ORIGINAL RAMBLER.HALF ACRE CORNER LOT AWAITS YOU. CLOSE TO POTOMAC VILLAGE AND EASY ACCESS TO THE CITY . VACANT & no entry .PROPERTY IS BEING SOLD IN STRICKLY AS IS CONDITION...CONTACT LISTER FOR DEAILS AND INFO.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Steve,

I won't go into great personal detail here as this is about you, not me, but suffice to say I'm a 37 y/o entrepreneur who has lived through three personal peaks and valleys so far. In my personal experience and from observation, the best way to turn around a difficult financial situation is to take swift and drastic measures. You seem to be trying very hard to hang on to your lifestyle. IMO, that seems like a good way for your to slowly choke yourself and your family to death financially. If I were you, I would:

a) sell your three cars and buy two used $5-10k reliable cars.
b) sell your home and rent a 1,500 sqft condo.
c) fire your financial advisor, find a successful one and put all of your money to work now.
d) start looking for a job that will pay you the kind of money you think your experience should command today.

If you take this no-BS approach as opposed to trying to band-aid your way out of it, you will be surprised how quickly and strongly you bounce back. More importantly, you will be amazed at the invaluable insights you gain and important lessons you learn through the process. It will take ***** but the payoff will come in more ways than just economic benefit. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Man, you're not messing around! I'm doing d) already. 1 out of 4 is better than none out of four. Renting a 1500 sq ft condo or apt? Wow... we'd have to sell most of our stuff to fit it in there.

I'll think very hard about everything you said. It's a big bullet to swallow right now.

I can't see that ever happening.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 03-07-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Steve:

Sorry to be blunt. You are overextended both with your home and your cars. These things are nice if you can afford them. As my father used to say: "Whether you're rich or poor, it's nice to have money". In your case, you appear to be living beyond your current means.

I had a former employee call me up one day. She had been promoted over the years to her (Peter Principle) "level of incompetence". She became a sales support person (supporting a rep based in Europe). Unfotunately, her employer paid her a commission even though it was the rep who was actually doing the selling. She made at least twice what she was worth. When times slowed down, they cut her commission and she was back on salary (still at least 50% more than her experience was worth). She called me to complain and to see if I had a suggestion that would put her back in her way over-compensated position. As a former friend, I tried to let her know, gently, that I just didn't see it in the cards for that to happen. That she, also, should feel gratified that in a down economy, she had a rather well paying job. I told her to hunker down, work the job as if it meant something to her (her attitude about her current position was horrible - frankly, I would have fired her had I still been her boss).

My suggestion to you, you're not going to have much luck getting good money for your large home, nor your 993. The 30 year mortgage (currently around here at about 5% - and about to go up in the next year by at least 1.5%) makes the most sense. You could even consider renting out the home - holding onto it for the 3-5 years it's going to take for the market to come at least part way back.

Best of luck. And remember to always "be humble" If you project, even a little, to your current employer that you think you've been screwed, you could find yourself out on the street.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks everyone for your salient points. I should have clarified, our house is "only" 3800 sq feet on the first and 2nd floor, but with the basement and accessory apt above the garage added in, that makes it 6000 sq feet (5900 ft plus 278 ft for the apt above the detached garage). It's not really THAT big .

We have our 15 y.o. stepdaughter only on the weekends and have no other kids but have seriously gotten attached to this house. Yes, I realize no one needs this much space. We decorated it just how we like it and it took 2 years to get this way. It's on only 7 years old so maintenance is slight and negligible so far.

We will consider moving to a smaller house in the area after hearing what you guys wrote about downsizing. It would hurt, but I guess we could do it. We'd be "stuck" in a townhouse for the prices we're talking about $500-550K. Single family houses for that price in this area would need a lot of work and would be very old. I know, it could be done if we had to. Our cats have really become attached to the new house, too. )

Other monies I didn't bring it up yet ... we have $85k in a money market (that was $123k a year ago in 5 American Fund mutual funds till the financial melt down that affected most of us). We stupidly, insanely converted it to a money market when the stock market hit 6500 (and they're value went down to $85k - we panicked like fools, and took our money onto the sidelines on the advice of our money manager lady at Wachovia in case it still kept going down - it was in a free fall so it seemed) so we never got the advantage of the bounce back in the market on it's way back up to 10500 point on the Dow. Arghhh! I can be so stupid sometimes. It's just sitting in this money market at $85k, not growing at all, our only emergency fund other than $35k in our checking account that keep going down each month by $2k or so due to my hopefully temporarily reduced income.

That's why I thought dipping into our 401K would be a "great idea" to pay off the house early but you folks have strong opinions against that and I see why. My great ideas aren't always so great as you can see.

I thought about refinancing about a million times the $116k we owe, but we've only got 11 years to go now on our mortgage. Refinancing and going to ... gulp, 30 years? Eegads. That would mentally suck, regardless of how quickly we could one day pay it off if we get some lump sum or better job. If we don't get a lump sum some how over the years, we're stuck paying a mortgage, albeit small, till I'm 79. I can't see doing that.

Here's where I'm at... if we can swing paying off the house with the 993 sale money and another $86k from somewhere (a smaller amount of $40k from the 401k maybe and $46k from the money market?), we could keep our house and only pay $523 a month for it. That's taxes of $9800 a year equals $817 mo, + $115 mo for property insurance = $932 mo. + $391 for utilities mo. = $1323 mo, minus the rental income of the carriage house above the garage of $800 month = $523 mo payout to live here. $523 a month would be cheap to live in this house. Is that logical?

It is such a royal pain and expensive proposition to move. We love the ability to walk into town in 5 minutes to hit many, many stores. Our friends our out here in this area. Your thoughts on living in a condo are dead on. Very close to the neighbors, they might smoke and make our living area smelly, or they might be noisy and we'll be hating life. Apt living is a thought, investing out money from the house, but with my current income we wouldn't even qualify to get a nice 2 BR, 1 Den place in this area ($2900 mo), even if we are sitting on $700k in cash from the sale of the house.

But man-o-man, I'd miss my car. Maybe, eventually, I could hit the job lottery and buy another one but truly, I doubt it. I know, no one NEEDS a 993. To save up $35k again, I don't see it happening. I bought my last car with inheritance money from my grandfather and the rest went into buying this house. There won't be any more inheritance money.

I really appreciate your astute suggestions. I can't tell you how much this is helping me come to a decision. About buying a beater as a daily driver that's more reliable than a 9 yr old BMW, or a new or almost new Volkswagen TDI that gets crazy great mileage, I will consider that too. I can't imagine life without my 740i. It's hard to explain unless you drive one everyday and you're a BMW E38 7 series lover. I'd only get $8500-$10k for it with 100k miles on it so it seems like a waste to sell it at the bottom of it's depreciation curve but I know the maintenance will be high in time again. Lately it's been reasonable. That won't last.

I'm one stubborn SOB, I know.
Its funny how everyone sees things differently. I`m not a big fan of selling anything that I love. Is the 85k sitting doing nothing able to be used to put on the mortgage ? If so using it now would seem like the right time . It would reduce your mortgage to virtually nothing.I know you said that it was an emergency fund but the way I see it the thoughts of selling houses, cars watches etc just to make ends meet sounds like an emergency to me.and its not as if its going into the ether somewhere, its going into the biggest investment of your life. Long term thats money in the bank.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

no, more like 900K
Old 03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You make the assumption that you are going to find either another high-paying job or a supplemental one selling real estate in the near future. Unfortunately the reality is neither of those may well not happen. You've hinted that your wife cannot or will not work, so there'll be no income from there. Additionally, your daughter will be off to college in a couple of years. Who will pay for that - is it reasonable to expect her to work her way through college, with no assistance from you?

You've got to get rid of that house. Why do you need two king-size beds? Why do you have to have new cabinets, state of the art appliances and a two car garage? Move into something much smaller, in a more affordable neighborhood (what do you care? she's nearly out of school). Initially build up your cash reserves but develop strategies to mitigate the inevitable (hyper)inflation. If you get rid of that albatross you may find you'll be able to afford your toys - you may also come to realize that your toys are not that important anyway. I suspect you're going to learn that anyway if you don't take drastic action right away. Assume that you're NOT going to land that job - and start planning for the time they lay you off from your current job. For that will be the reality for many of us over the next few years. If you plan and prepare for the worst, you'll be in a much stronger position mentally and fiscally if the worst does, or does not, happen. Ultimately, your world is now a very different place from what it was just a short time ago. You've got to make changes.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve porter
Its funny how everyone sees things differently. I`m not a big fan of selling anything that I love. Is the 85k sitting doing nothing able to be used to put on the mortgage ? If so using it now would seem like the right time . It would reduce your mortgage to virtually nothing.I know you said that it was an emergency fund but the way I see it the thoughts of selling houses, cars watches etc just to make ends meet sounds like an emergency to me.and its not as if its going into the ether somewhere, its going into the biggest investment of your life. Long term thats money in the bank.
This is the idea I like best. Use the $85k to pay off the $116k mortgage. We still have $35k in our checking account. I could (ARGHHH) sell my 993 to finish that payoff of the mortgage so we'd only owe $132 a month with our tenant's rent added in:

No Mortgage = $0 per month
Taxes and insurance = $932 month
Rent income from apt = $800 month

= $132 out of pocket

No more 993, but c'est la vie I guess to that. My wife definitely doesn't want us to spend this $85k savings reserve. If something gets messed up somehow, it's our catastrophe eliminator. I'll think long and hard about this idea. It would be a hard sell to her as well.

Originally Posted by Leander
You make the assumption that you are not going to find another high-paying job or find a supplemental one selling real estate in the near future. Unfortunately the reality is neither of those may well not happen. You've hinted that your wife cannot or will not work, so there'll be no income from there. Additionally, your daughter will be off to college in a couple of years. Who will pay for that - is it reasonable to expect her to work her way through college, with no assistance from you?

You've got to get rid of that house. Why do you need two king-size beds? Why do you have to have new cabinets and state of the art appliances? Move into something much smaller, in a more affordable neighborhood (what do you care? she's nearly out of school). Initially build up your cash reserves but develop strategies to mitigate the inevitable (hyper)inflation. If you get rid of that albatross you may find you'll be able to afford your toys - you may also come to realize that your toys are not that important anyway. I think you're going to learn that the hard way if you don't take drastic action right away. Assume that you're NOT going to land that job - start planning for the time they lay you off from your current job. For that is going to be the reality for many of us over the next few years. If you plan and prepare for the worst, you'll be a much stronger position mentally and fiscally if the worst does, or does not, happen. Ultimately, your world is now a very different place from what it was just a short time ago. You've got to make changes.
Holy ****e. I do see your point about the house being an albatross but letting go is hard. It's not out of the question, though.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Steve - It sounds like you know what you need to do to get back in shape, or at least you are receiving some good advice. Here is a link to one person's (my cousin) blog where she tells her story of trying to cut her families debt. Her example may not make sense or apply to your situation but some of it is a good read, and will give you another perspective of someone out side of the P-car community.

http://mollyonmoney.wordpress.com/author/mollyonmoney/

Good luck.

Aron
Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
Steve - It sounds like you know what you need to do to get back in shape, or at least you are receiving some good advice. Here is a link to one person's (my cousin) blog where she tells her story of trying to cut her families debt. Her example may not make sense or apply to your situation but some of it is a good read, and will give you another perspective of someone out side of the P-car community.

http://mollyonmoney.wordpress.com/author/mollyonmoney/

Good luck.

Aron
She should monetize her blog. I suspect she could do quite well.

Quick Reply: If you had to pick just 1 car to keep, which one would you keep? (993 vs 740i)