Sponsored by:

My New Front License Plate Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Plus speed/red light cameras, and the speed trap guys love to use the front license plate as a target for their laser guns. I'm afraid for a lot of reasons this will only get worse.
+2. There's really no other reason for the front plate.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:03 PM
got*ki
Racer

Originally Posted by Nuff

Thought I'd give the Altec Show 'N Go a try.

Manual version costs around $50 and fully automated version goes for about $150.

It is pretty cool to "hide" your front plate once you park. Then "unhide" it when you drive to avoid tickets.

We'll see how long it lasts ....
Nice mod. Waaay better than driving around town and always on the look-out for HPD to ding you.

I'm finding that Honolulu is a small town! I see the same police officers every day. I see the same Pcars around town. It's much harder to hide over here!
That is the truth but since you picked up that daily driver, I don't get to see your Pcar on the road any more.

Here's the next scheduled get together...from the local chapter president.
Hopefully you can join us and display the new mod!!! I think everyone will be very interested!!

"Aloha everyone!
Sunday's detailing session was cancelled at the last minute due to an illness. Shea has re-scheduled the detailing session for Sunday, March 14th! This will give us another chance to see the detailing master at work, and you can speak to him about tips, hints and even schedule a detail for your beautiful car.

Detailing SessionSunday, March 14
10 am

Shea's Luxury Detail
98-021 Kamehameha Hwy.
space #311
Aiea, HI 96701
United States
ph: 808-722-7129
Sheasluxurydetail@yahoo.com

Russ
Old 03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

There's really no other reason for the front plate.
Actually there is one - to provide more revenue for 3M (sells the reflective stuff). Guess whose lobbyists you'll see if you try to get the front plate requirement repealed.

Now I didn't say that was a legit reason
Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by got*ki
"Aloha everyone!
Sunday's detailing session was cancelled at the last minute due to an illness. Shea has re-scheduled the detailing session for Sunday, March 14th! This will give us another chance to see the detailing master at work, and you can speak to him about tips, hints and even schedule a detail for your beautiful car.

Detailing SessionSunday, March 14
10 am

Russ
Unfortunately, I can't make it on the 14th! Sounds like a good time, though. I'm heading to the Mainland (Sun Valley) to do some skiing.

Let me know when the next get together is!

Aloha!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

That's pretty cool! Hey can anyone direct me to the license plate holder that fastens to your tow hook? Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey can anyone direct me to the license plate holder that fastens to your tow hook?
Here you go:

http://www.moweraxle.com/

Just bought one and it is a quality build.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
A little Aston DB5 James Bond action. I prefer mine in the winshield on the dash.
The heat thinks its ok plus no ugly stuff on the TT bumper
I still got a ticket like that in NYC. On the ticket it said "License Plate improperly displayed".
Old 03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

BTW, in CA, it is also illegal to block any part of the front windshield except for a FASTRAK transponder, temporary registration or small parking permit. This makes windshield mounts for GPS or radar detectors illegal.
Actually, GPS and other items CAN be attached with a small radius of either the lower right or lower left corners of the windshield, see item 12 below.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver or in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated ( )2.

As far as radar detectors go, they are not illegal, but have to be placed accordingly, and cannot be attached to the windshield in violation of the above VC. Mine is attached to the roof of the car above the mirror. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-install.html
Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TBH, I think I prefer the look of original bumper-mount to all these after-market solutions. My problem is that after 13 years I can't find the license plate.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by Kika
Actually, GPS and other items CAN be attached with a small radius of either the lower right or lower left corners of the windshield, see item 12 below.
Cool! Thanks for the update. Looks like the law was changed after I left for Hawaii!

Quick Reply: My New Front License Plate Solution