Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010 | 09:27 PM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

Steve, what are "tenders"?... PM sent.
Old 02-23-2010 | 09:47 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Main & tender. Tenders are a lower spring rate and help to respond to small initial bumps/loads. Also help to keep the mains seated when the suspension is unloaded.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:02 PM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Main & tender. Tenders are a lower spring rate and help to respond to small initial bumps/loads. Also help to keep the mains seated when the suspension is unloaded.
OK, always referred to those as "helper springs" and didn't think they added much in terms of ride comfort...

Thanks Matt.
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:19 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen Watkins
OK, always referred to those as "helper springs" and didn't think they added much in terms of ride comfort...

Thanks Matt.
Typical spring rates on the tenders are 175/200/225/250 so although significantly less (and less potential travel) than the mains, they do provide some ride comfort . They essentially create a progressive spring rate.

Helpers strictly speaking have a very low spring rate and act only to keep the main spring seated with the suspension is unloaded.
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Well said, Doc,...

There are big differences between tender springs and helper springs.

The former comprise an active component of the total spring system and its overall rate (the relationship is somewhat complex). Helper springs OTOH, are there simply to ensure the main springs cannot fall out of their perches at full droop and play no part of the overall spring rates.

Tenders offer a "dual rate" spring system where by adjusting the lengths of the mains and tenders, one can design the place where the main spring begins working. This offers a degree of compliance using high rate springs to conform to road/track irregularites and small bumps and keep the tires on the ground.

Naturally, this is a gross simplification of this subject but hopefully, you get the idea,...
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:30 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Better pic of a main & tender setup (both roundwound vs. flatround = lower spring rate).
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2010 | 10:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

FWIW, here's a good website that I read (and re-read... and re-read) when I was trying to get my head around suspension component design, setup, and tuning. Of course, it's still mostly over my head, but I keep reading, adjusting, drinking .

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lovers/Part_1/
Old 02-24-2010 | 01:09 AM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
FWIW, here's a good website that I read (and re-read... and re-read) when I was trying to get my head around suspension component design, setup, and tuning. Of course, it's still mostly over my head, but I keep reading, adjusting, drinking .

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...lovers/Part_1/
Thanks for the help guys
Old 02-24-2010 | 01:32 AM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

-also, there is a very good chance I am running "cup" not RS struts....
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:12 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

After reading some more posts, it seems that I should be okay with my factory uprights assuming I don't lower the car below RS specs, which I don't want to do. Any comments on this would be appreciated.
I think I might pursue this further...
That being said, who is actually running the Bilstein RS shocks here? There is a used set on Ebay for $300 but the mileage is so high that the cost isn't a good comparison. How much should I look at paying for a used set (less than 1K miles)? They have been sitting on a shelf several years.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 02-24-2010 | 07:27 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's beyond me why anyone that doesn't want to lower their car and install the necessary additional parts to complete the suspension setup would want to put what are essentially racing parts on their car.

For stock height, street use why wouldn't you just get a regular set of Bilsteins?
Old 02-24-2010 | 08:49 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

I thought that RS ride height WAS fairly agressive/low.
The whole thing stemmed from me wanting to gain some high speed handling capabilities. I was thinking about getting some Bilstein HD's or some Koni's when a friend said "Hey I got some Bilstein RS shocks I could sell you."
Eventually I wanted to lower the car a little anyways, so this just seems like a good opportunity.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Bilstein RSR's?