993 Forum 1995-1998

Electric Seat adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Unhappy Electric Seat adjuster

Does anyone have experience in replacing the electric seat back-forth drive cables? My driver seat got jammed in the full back position and both cables are stripped at the ends. I have new ones, but at $$$ I don't want just install them in the hopes that it will start working. I guess I am afraid of stripping the new ones since I believe the seat is still jammed.
Since the seat is all the way back, it is covering the bolts to remove the seat and I can't figure out how to adjust it up without the cables installed.
Any ideas?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a nut where the worm gear attaches to the drive on each side. It is 17mm and if you can get a wrench under there, you can manually get each slider to move forward a bit. You probably can pop the worm gear out and use a socket on them. Send me your email and I can send you a pic of the underside of the seat.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DougM
There is a nut where the worm gear attaches to the drive on each side. It is 17mm and if you can get a wrench under there, you can manually get each slider to move forward a bit. You probably can pop the worm gear out and use a socket on them. Send me your email and I can send you a pic of the underside of the seat.
PM sent. thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
Any ideas?
One of my height adjustments, either front or rear (I can't remember which) was jammed at its limit. I was thinking the cable as well but then decided to do some testing first.

I thought it might be the switch, wiring or power going to the motor. A DMM check proved all was fine and after a lot of jiggling with the mechanism, the seat height now moves freely from stop to stop.

You might try taking some voltage readings as well as continuity readings to make sure all is in working order.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:46 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

this is not a tough job - the cables come loose pretty easily and the seat can be moved manually with a long flat bladed screw driver or the proper wrench in the drive attachment point. you shouldn't need to remove the seat itself. and all of us have learned the hard way not to run our seats back to the full end of their travel limits. good luck
Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stace
this is not a tough job - the cables come loose pretty easily and the seat can be moved manually with a long flat bladed screw driver or the proper wrench in the drive attachment point. you shouldn't need to remove the seat itself. and all of us have learned the hard way not to run our seats back to the full end of their travel limits. good luck
The drive motor works fine and it got jammed because I think only one drive cable was spinning since the other was stripped. So what you are saying is that I don't need to unbolt the seat at it's 4 attachment points, just use a nut driver and rotate the big seat screw?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

In that case....

993 - Power Seat Drive Repair on P-Car Workshop
Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
The drive motor works fine and it got jammed because I think only one drive cable was spinning since the other was stripped. So what you are saying is that I don't need to unbolt the seat at it's 4 attachment points, just use a nut driver and rotate the big seat screw?

yes - that should do it and yes - refer to the p-car worshop site for details. great reference site. 30 min and a new cable and you should be back in business.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be real careful with the new cables. Make sure they are inserted all the way in or else they will strip and yo .u will be bummed. Ask me how I know.Just a side note, the frayed ends of the cables can be repaired.

Quick Reply: Electric Seat adjuster