Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'96 TPC Supercharged Coupe - more info...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default '96 TPC Supercharged Coupe - more info...

Saw this on the PCA Website Classifieds today and contacted the seller to ask about the 'performance upgrades' which turn out to be a TPC Supercharger. This is Turquoise Metallic, one of my favorite colors. As usual, no affiliation, etc. Here's the ad:

Price: 32000
Year: 1996
Model: 911 (993)
Miles: 52,400
Body Type: Coupe
Exterior Color: Turguoise
Interior Color: Gray/Black
Wheel Size: 17
Excellent example of a one owner, low miles coupe with no accidents or paintwork ever! Mostly stock with a few performance upgrades, this air cooled classic is ready to be driven. Freshly serviced including 4 new Bridgestone Potenza REO50's. Nicely optioned as well. Colorado car for 13 years. Please contact me for additional pictures and information.
Seller Information
Type of Seller: Private Seller
Company:
Name: Jay Podolsky
Street Address:
City: Tenafly
State/Province: NJ
Zip/Postal Code: 07670
Telephone Number: 201-294-7171

Here's some pics he sent me:

He said he was showing the car tomorrow, but hasn't taken a deposit yet. Seems like a decent deal for the mileage and the extra goodies ...

Last edited by JPP; 02-20-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Added a picture
Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice color combo and a good price for a low mile car with a TPC. The key has a tag on it which makes it look like a dealer pic. I'm guessing they removed the mats and upgraded wheels and put the stock ones back on. Nothing wrong with that I guess.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by matt777
I'm guessing they removed the mats and upgraded wheels and put the stock ones back on. Nothing wrong with that I guess.
So you've seen this car before with different wheels and mats? I keep thinking the guy's name looks really familiar to me. Maybe from Autotrader or Cars.com .....

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. In his e-mail to me he mentions some other 'modifications' done when the supercharger was put on:

"In addition to the 993 having a TPC supercharger, at the same time a solid rocker conversion set, cup clutch conversion and camshafts were installed. All proper and necessary upgrades to handle the additional power brake HP the engine's putting out now. I bet it's quick .....
Old 02-19-2010, 11:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I haven't seen it before. Call me a skeptic but I have a hard time believing somebody would put a supercharger on it before they had upgraded the wheels, interior and lowered it. Perhaps they were just putting it back to stock to recap some of their upgrade $$$$.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Seller just answered my question about the type of TPC install ...

"This is the non intercooled unit and the hp is in the 350 range. Remember too the way the car accelerates is different (and in my opinion better) than with the twin turbo; spools up very quickly and no lag. I've owned a TT before and I much prefer the characteristics of the supercharger."

Here's the TPC Brake Horsepower Dyno results between Intercooled (Blue) v.s. non-Intercooled (Red) installs. Seems the seller is using gross HP figures or he's just typically optimistic about his own car .....

Old 02-20-2010, 03:25 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

As an ex-owner of TPC-ed car, I can tell you that 350HP is an exaggeration.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ilko
As an ex-owner of TPC-ed car, I can tell you that 350HP is an exaggeration.
Yeah, see above edit. I'd really like to drive either one, though and just compare it to stock. I'd bet even the non-intercooled improvement is impressive.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much boost do they run? Keeping the compression stock, I wouldn't think much.
Do they have some type of waist gate that could be adjusted?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:17 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

It is a lot of fun, I had it on my RSA and it's definitely a huge improvement. Very linear acceleration but boost fizzles out around 5500RPM so the driving style is different.

Then again my car weighed 2740 lbs. It runs 5PSI of boost in the non-intercooled version.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:49 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys...thanks for all the buzz about my 993 with the TPC Supercharger. I've clarified that the non intercooled version puts out about an additional 30 hp. The real difference in performance, as Ilko described perfectly, is how quick the car is compared to a regular 993, from standstill to about 80 mph. The acceleration is very linear, in that there is no lag and sudden boost that is characteristic with the turbo version. Since the car has never been tracked, other than the TPC Supercharger and the mechanical upgrades that accompanied it, the wheels and suspension have always been stock. The car was serviced in December, 2009 and has not been driven since...hence the "tag" on the key ring. As for the mats, they are in the process of being professionally cleansed and when I first took some photos, they looked terrible as is. I have now posted the ad on Rennlist with some nicer pics. For low to mid $30's money, a buyer is basically getting $15,000 worth of performance upgrades for "free." One would be hard pressed to find a stock 993 coupe, 6 speed with 50,000 miles, one owner, no paint/accidents for this price, in the condition. I hope this answers all your questions. Please spread the word...it's a great Porsche. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

It's definitely more than 30HP. I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 60-70HP for the non-intercooled version. It's a nice set up, good luck with the sale.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Timspu
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Supercharger set up is quite an old one. Looks like a Gen 3 supercharger. Would be interesting to see what engine management system it is using.
As a package what a great car. The drive is wonderful smooth and powerful.

I am running a Gen four and Intercooler and can manage 352 bhp (Fly wheel)
I am running up to 7psi and constant 5 psi over 4k revs.

That would be a great buy if priced right.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:23 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke with a "Josh" at TPC Racing, the manufacturer of the supercharger unit. He informs me that my unit produces 300 whp and 350 bhp. If your figures are accurate, then perhaps their ratings are a bit optimistic...however they should know. Since I don't track the car I can't really say how that translates into 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. But having owned several 993's, I can tell you this Porsche is much faster than any of them. And I agree with you; it's a great package and a great buy!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Timspu
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I find it hard to believe 300 WHP, as that is what i am getting with the intercooler and higher boost pressure. Mind you that is taking into account the normal 20% transmission losses on the Dyno. So if the fly wheel is lightened then perhaps there could be 15% losses. I tried to get my head around TPC's figures and couldn't. I get no where near their figures.
Its a shame you are selling the car as it is a great machine. The new buyer will be getting a bargain car.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Timspu
I find it hard to believe 300 WHP, as that is what i am getting with the intercooler and higher boost pressure. Mind you that is taking into account the normal 20% transmission losses on the Dyno. So if the fly wheel is lightened then perhaps there could be 15% losses. I tried to get my head around TPC's figures and couldn't. I get no where near their figures.
Its a shame you are selling the car as it is a great machine. The new buyer will be getting a bargain car.
I talked to TPC a while back and they said that while the intercooled version does make a bit more hp, the main difference between the intercooled and non-intercooled is that the intercooled version would continue to make the stated HP while the non-intercooled can heat up and not be as efficient or you having to back off.

Timpspu, you are only getting 300 whp while a stock 993 puts out 240 whp? What were your pre-supercharged numbers? A 60 whp increase translate to 70.5 hp increase.

Quick Reply: '96 TPC Supercharged Coupe - more info...