Buying a car off EBAY

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 10:28 AM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car off EBAY

Simple question:

How does one arrange for a PPI on a car being bought off EBAY.
If you have the winning bid, can you make it contingent on a favorable PPI?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pm sent
Old 02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case I called the (not local) dealer that listed the car. They stated in the ad that the auction could be terminated at any time as the car was being locally advertised as well. I negotiated a price over the phone dependend on a PPI. A rennlister in the area steered me to a good mechanic where I had the inspection done and wound up buying the car. I would at least try contacting the seller directly before the auction is over.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 559 Posts

Yep, I always talk to the seller and negotiate over the phone. Most are happy to have a buyer in hand and will stop the auction. If they won't stop it, then I take a chance and wait untill the auction ends. Most times, they never meet reserve anyway, and then I negotiate at that point. Don't rush into anything and remember...there's always another car
Old 02-06-2010, 01:42 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Remember, there is a reason why that car is on eBay!
PP had good advices...
Old 02-06-2010, 02:11 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I did what Zedder (Mark) suggested - my car was listed on Ebay but didn't sell. I then talked to the private seller at length, had a local PPI done and then flew to LA and bought the car. I would now add a step prior to PPI and post a request here for a RennFax. ask if a local Rennlister would give the car a quick drive and inspection. happy hunting!!
Old 02-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default aaah... it has a name

Originally Posted by stace
I did what Zedder (Mark) suggested - my car was listed on Ebay but didn't sell. I then talked to the private seller at length, had a local PPI done and then flew to LA and bought the car. I would now add a step prior to PPI and post a request here for a RennFax. ask if a local Rennlister would give the car a quick drive and inspection. happy hunting!!
Rennfax, I like it! I'll be hoping to take advantage of that in the near(or very near) future.

coool
Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=f8vr993;7289405]Remember, there is a reason why that car is on eBay!

I disagree with that. EBAY is simply the best advertising out there today. I have always listed my sports cars on EBAY as well as the manufacturer specific internet forums. All have sold via EBAY. Over the past 6 years this includes 4 Porsches, 2 NSX's, and a Ferrari. None of them sold from the actual auction, but the buyers made contact with me through the auction. Most were sold before the auction ended and the auction was cancelled after I received a deposit. To me, EBAY is a classified ad for 1 week.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=DougM;7289795]
Originally Posted by f8vr993
Remember, there is a reason why that car is on eBay!

I disagree with that. EBAY is simply the best advertising out there today. I have always listed my sports cars on EBAY as well as the manufacturer specific internet forums. All have sold via EBAY. Over the past 6 years this includes 4 Porsches, 2 NSX's, and a Ferrari. None of them sold from the actual auction, but the buyers made contact with me through the auction. Most were sold before the auction ended and the auction was cancelled after I received a deposit. To me, EBAY is a classified ad for 1 week.
I agree. I have sold some real nice collector cars for my elderly neighbor and others on ebay. Sure there is some real crap on ebay but there are some superb cars as well. Doing your homework is the key no matter where a car is listed for sale. Ebay has the ability to reach millions of people. You just can't beat that exposure.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

I second the statement to get a Rennfax. When my wife bought our Porsche on Ebay we made sure that the sale would be pending a clean PPI.
I had a PPI done, I spent $200 and they didn't find ANYTHING. I don't even think they looked at the car...

Anyways, I posted the auction details here on Rennlist and a very nice RLister near the car checked it out for me. Based on his test drive testimony we ended up buying the car sight unseen and couldn't be happier.

In conclusion, make 100% sure the seller will allow you to do an after the fact PPI before buying. Get the PPI done, but take it with a grain of salt unless you know the shop and leave a buffer in your budget in case the PPI misses something.
Oh, and since you are in New York... Don't go to Storms in Southampton.
Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Warpig
Pro

I don't care if the car is for sale at Toys R Us, off e-bay or anywhere else. The car IS what the car IS regardless of who has it. If you do your proper homework and due diligence it makes no difference who has the car, of course some people are more desirable to work with than others Your job is to find out what the car IS and decide if it's acceptable and within the scope of what you want to deal with. The Rennfax is great too. There are lots of us out here all over the place that would love to test drive your new car for you! Hell, most will even snap a bunch of the important pictures to see of the car and e-mail em off to you as well. There is a wealth of info out here to be utilized.

Nick
Old 02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

I have acquired 3 cars off of ebay. PPI is always advised and I purchase / pick up in person. If it turns out bad from PPI, walk away, the worst e-bay can do to you is kick you off (your login and email). And you can dispute the "truthiness" of the ad on e-bay if PPI uncovers issues.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I purchased my Porsche and Bronco off Ebay---and a few hundred other things---never an issue in almost 8 years or buying and selling.

Those who are against Ebay, Im sorry you feel that way but I would rather reach the masses than a small target audience (such as Rennlist). Its not like everyone who buys from an Ebay is an idiot and every one who sells cars (Porsche) are cooks. When and if I sell my C4, it will go on Ebay. Then I dont have to deal with low ballers on this forum who think their Porsche is worth thousands more than what the market is commanding but the person who is selling has a perceived value of thousands less than the market.

A person is only as stupid as you let youself be in any purchase, regardless of where you buy.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:22 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Do you have something against cooks?
Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DougM
Do you have something against cooks?
Im a great cook!!