Sponsored by:

Seat mods for tall driver HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat mods for tall driver HELP

Im 6'4'' and I would love to modify my seats so they are lower and longer.

Can the stock seats of my 993 C2 be modified, or do I just have to flat out get some racing seats? Any recomendaitons on brands?

Help!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it head room, leg room or both?

There are a few threads here that describe moving the seats in to a set of holes that are about 1" further back. This adds legroom at the expense of head room, as you move the seat further back into the sloping roof. I'm 6'3" and have the driver's seat in the stock location, but I did move the passenger seat back.

Regardless, it's good practice to move your seats one tick off the stops at the end of any range. I believe that it reduces the chance of jamming, which results in the need to replace the drive cable(s). Sorry, can't comment on aftermarket seats.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Leon993
Racer

Chuck,

Thanks for the advice. Im look for a little of both, mostly height is my issue. I have a 31'' leg inseam (short legs) but my torso is long so my head is about 1'' from hitting the ceiling.

Im familiar with a guy I just met, he has a 964, he's 6'5'' and did MAJOR work. He permanently bolted seats all the way back, literally hitting up against the small backseats and added an extension to the steering wheel, making his ride perfectly ergonomic.

The drawbacks, are that its difficult to sell later on and it involves welding. So I dont know. Im supposed to see his car today, so I'll have more details on this..... He did put racing seats on it, and I believe since they dont have electric motors underneath (like the 993) they sit closer to the chasis.

So we'll see......
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

I’m in the same boat (6'4 32" inseam)... I tried like hell but I don’t think there is a good solution with the stock seats. Mounting them all the way back helps some, but does not solve the problem. As someone else noted, as you move back the roof slopes, you really do need to move down, not back. In my street car, I ran Euro GT3 seats with BK brackets mounting directly to the floor. With that setup my head just brushed the roof with helmet on. No bad from a comfort perspective, but not much room for safety.

Now to get serious, for the race car, we:
Removed sunroof
Cutout and refabricated the seat mounting "posts"
Race shells bolted directly to the floor...
Now I truly have the proper headroom 1-2" with helmet on.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not cheapest way but in my old RSA I had the race seat removed, the stock seat mount bracket welded to the floor removed completly. We re located all the electronics under the seat and built new custom seat brackets on the floor. I then had a sliding rail custom made that was at a much steeper angle so for a very tall driver all the way back they would be all the way to the floor and back very far. Roll cage was built to accomidate this. As the seat was moved forward the seat went up so if a short driver was to get in they could see over the steering wheel. Worked great. I have had a 5'6 driver in the car and a 6'5 driver in the car and both said it was great. Im 6'2" with a 32" inseam and I like to sit low in the car...

Not much help other than it can be done with money...

Jeff
Old 02-02-2010, 05:47 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i`m also 6`4 with the same problem. what i did was move the seat back so that only the last two bolt holes were used which left the front holes with no holes to bolt into. i then made a bracket which slides into the seat runner and bolted it up from underneath with a flat headed countersunk screw and drilled and bolted it into where the front rail bolts would normally go. it only gives you about an extra 40 mm leg room but in my case that is enough to get my legs under the wheel.
lucky we like porsches as i have friends with TVRs. 308 ferrari and ford GT40 rep which i cannot under any circumstances even get into the bloody things DAMM
Old 02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Leon993
Racer

Gasser, Scott,

Thanks for the advice! Im lucky enough to live in a city where one of the PCA members specializes on air cooled 911s and has a complete machine shop.

As soon as I get some extra cheddar, were going to start this project. Retractable seats are key, so other drivers can enjoy it. Dont want to bolt myself down into a situation that, GOD FORBID, I had to sell the car and couldnt.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:34 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

6'2" 30" inseam here............my helmet rubs the headliner but I am using a local upholstery shop to pull my seat bottom, remove the factory 2" foam and replace it with a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" piece of high density aircraft seat foam from Oregon Aero and based on my math I should clear the headliner by more than 1".

Depending on which thickness I use, the cost will be between $80-$120. I did the same thing on my last 911 and it gave me adequate head clearance without doing any other seat mods so I'm doing it again.

ZP44
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to Johzev, I got hooked up with Ron Mack of R.P. Mack Motorsports (rpmack_427@hotmail.com). He made a set of custom made seat extenders that bolt between the seats and the stock mounting holes on the floor of the car. These seat rail extensions provide for about another 1.5 " of legroom from the rear most mounting point that you can get with the stock seats.

Sounds like Steve Porter also has a good solution.

The seat rail extensions I have do not provide for any extra headroom-just legroom. I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam so I needed the legroom. Either way (with or without the mod), I'd never be able to get into my car with a helmet on.

chuck
Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 306 Posts

At 6'4", the Recaro SRD's really helped me out.
My wife who is 6' tall fits perfectly (see avatar).

Kevin
Old 02-03-2010, 11:16 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i used the Sparco EVO2 plus. i get enough leg room, but then the steering wheel is too far away
I tried the seat as if is was bolted to the floor, and I had blenty of head room. However, I had to install a slider so my wife can drive it. I could use more head room.
If i could set it up just for me, I would bolt the bracket to the floor and get a spacer for the steering wheel. (i know the spacer is "off road" only

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
rsa964
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default seat mods

6'6" here - 33 inseam - I removed the seat - upside down removed the rearward side to side connectors holding the furniture seat springs to each other - then I pulled the middle 3 furniture springs downward (away from the foam) so that there was about 1/2" clearance in between - remounted the seat to the farther back holes as others have said. Now plenty of headroom for helmet and it is about the same as in my RSA was without a sunroof.

Quick Reply: Seat mods for tall driver HELP