Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another SAI DIY story with a couple of improvements. If I can do it, you can!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
...Oh, I am interested in your crows foot fabricated tool...I cant see it for the focus problem. Is there a better pict? ( not to pick or cause work, I just am wondering about the subtleties of your tool mod!)

Andy
Try the macro setting (probably a flower symbol) if the camera has one...
Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Just to understand this right, you took the headers off and drilled from the outlet part of the head, upwards right? From the top, where the SAI sits, you flushed from the top down.
Ed
There are other write ups on his topic that I looked at very closely before taking action. The other threads have nice pictures of the SAI ports. They sit just above the exhaust valve in each exhaust port. Once you remove the heat exchangers you can look up into the exhaust ports and see the SAI holes. That is where you need to drill up through the carbon build up. From the Check Valve opening on top in the engine compartment I poured the chemicals and used an air compressor to blow them through the air passages. When you blow the chemicals "from the top" they spray out of the Secondary Air Passages and out the exhaust ports below (hopefully). Other people have better explanations with pictures on this SAI issue. I just wanted to show everybody what I found to be a really really good solution for every 993 owner. Simple inexpensive and a very doable DIY.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Ok here are some better close ups from my lousy camera.

I used my grinder to widen the 1" crows foot to 1 1/16".

I also used the grinder to narrow the width of this crowsfoot to allow it to fit underneath and between the SAI valve and where it screws into the engine.
There is another great write up on this with great pictures.

Shows the 1 1/2 drain testers I purchased at Home Depot. Simply shove them in the hole and turn the nut un..this sounds a little dirty.

Shows where the cable attached to the brake on the bike. I put this end into the drill

This shows where I cut the cable and how I cut the outer cover a bit shorter.

I hope these pictures are a bit clearer.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a SAI modified crows foot if someone in the SF bay area wants to borrow it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good timing on this, I have a friend who just threw some codes and will likely need to do this. Has anyone tried using a speedometer cable, or maybe the drive cable from an electric seat, I thought I read that somewhere? It's thicker than a bicycle brake cable and has a square end that might cut through the carbon better.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:39 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Very well done!
Old 02-01-2010, 07:28 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
Actually I did see your write up,and I am sure it worked well with the cable you were using. Unfortunately, I did try this with the first piece of the bike brake cable when after about 5 minutes I was getting nowhere. It completely unwound and gave me a bit of a scare about having pieces of wire breaking off in the port. So with a second cable piece I put the drill back into Forward and found that It worked well (just needed a little patience and a couple more minutes) and did not unwind and could be used again and again (which It did on the other ports). You can see from the picture that the cable after drilling through three air passages remained in great shape.
Could be the difference between m/c cable and bike cable. I was able to use it for all six cylinders ... only frayed at the tip (about an inch down) and then threw it in a shop drawer just in case I need it again some day.
Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the write up Don! You most likely saved me a bunch of time. My car has been throwing the wonderful SAI code on occasion. I should probably add this to my quickly growing list of things to do.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 AM
cdmdriver
Pro

Originally Posted by swmic
Thanks for the write up Don! You most likely saved me a bunch of time. My car has been throwing the wonderful SAI code on occasion. I should probably add this to my quickly growing list of things to do.
Everyone on Rennlist has been terrific . You have all been so helpful to me that I wanted to hopefully give back just a little bit. My purpose for posting this SAI fix was to calm everyone down about the dreaded SAI problem. Over the years I have seen countless threads about people so worried about this issue that they avoid the later 993 years, or worse, they avoid buying the 993's altogether. I just wanted to let everyone know that this fix is not that big a deal. Anyone can do it! Really.

Thank you all, for the help and advice you have given to me over the years. You have truly made ownership of my P car a truly wonderful experience.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job and ingenuity!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I too have the modified crows foot if anyone needs to borrow it. It really isn't a big deal to make, just get the stock foot and <5 min. on a bench grinder and you're set. PM me if you want to borrow mine.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazing job!

Andy
Old 05-13-2021, 04:31 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just read through this and some other threads - but had a question . What do the plugs do? Specifically, the 5 -1 1/2 drain plugs?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:09 PM
paranoidandroid
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

The other 5 ports need to be plugged so you can flush 1 port at a time.

Quick Reply: Another SAI DIY story with a couple of improvements. If I can do it, you can!