Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who reverses car without looking into rearview mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Betsy W
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband backed into my car. In the driveway. Twice, a few months apart. But he managed to hit the same spot, so at least he's consistent.

Edited to add: Yes, I have since moved my car.

Last edited by Betsy W; 01-22-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Heh.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who reverses car without looking into rearview mirror?

I do.

(Look over my shoulder, instead.)
Old 01-22-2010, 10:02 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 357 Likes on 158 Posts

LOL I'm spitin' fire now.....

I ALWAYS use my mirrors when I drive. In MINI, because there is a blind spot, I have to turn my head just to make sure there isn't a motorcycle or soemthing even smaller than the MINI hidden from my view. In the other cars I don't have to do that.

BTW: Tony, your wife is beautiful.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wife barely looks in the side view mirrors and does NOT use turn signals, she just goes. Her excuse for everything is "I'm too short, I can't see" (BS).

It must be genetic with my wife's family, her brother and sisters are the same way. When my B in L and S in L went to Europe a few years back they rented one of those small vans. As I understand it, when he returned it there wasn't a panel on it that wasn't damaged. They did take out the insurance though.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Sounds like you all should have spent a little more time training up your wives.

When we got married, my wife went from a beat up Cavalier to a Twin Turbo RX7 and learned really quickly about watching out for curbs, door dings, dips, and oh yeah, OTHER CARS!

In fact, when we started getting hail today, she called to make sure her Tahoe (that I drove to work today) wasn't getting pelted with hail.

Now the talking...that's another thing entirely.
I've tried - in the early years teaching her to drive, she broadside a poor souls parked car back in NYC. Once she started driving, I attempted to teach her to drive stick. Big mistake, almost burnt my clutch out and suffered mental trauma. Next there was a leak in a tire; she puts chewing gum on the hole - classic.
Originally Posted by jaholmes
I have learned the hard way not to leave anything in the path of my wife when she driving. She will drive into / over anything and not even realize it. Our living room is next to the garage. When I hear her gunning the Cayenne V8 I get up and move out of the way. Even the dog knows when to get way the F... out of dodge.
wait - so I'm not alone..lol. And she's the one with the speeding tickets and is always having a friendly chat every so often with the 5 O. If I'm driving, she be like switch lanes, don't let him ge infront of you, move over, you drive to slow...etc.. You doing under speed limit, speed up. At least I don't hit no fixed objects.

Originally Posted by Betsy W
My husband backed into my car. In the driveway. Twice, a few months apart. But he managed to hit the same spot, so at least he's consistent.

Edited to add: Yes, I have since moved my car.
Pictures or it didn't happen! Men do no such things...
Originally Posted by RJT
LOL I'm spitin' fire now.....

I ALWAYS use my mirrors when I drive. In MINI, because there is a blind spot, I have to turn my head just to make sure there isn't a motorcycle or soemthing even smaller than the MINI hidden from my view. In the other cars I don't have to do that.

BTW: Tony, your wife is beautiful.

hmmm...not tonight. She's just aski me, are you hungry, do you want something to eat. I've been giving her the look. I can't stay mad for long, but I'm putting up a good show...this is a way for me to get some "me" time.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:37 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Wife barely looks in the side view mirrors and does NOT use turn signals, she just goes. Her excuse for everything is "I'm too short, I can't see" (BS).

It must be genetic with my wife's family, her brother and sisters are the same way. When my B in L and S in L went to Europe a few years back they rented one of those small vans. As I understand it, when he returned it there wasn't a panel on it that wasn't damaged. They did take out the insurance though.
oh yeah, she's a short one too. Always driving with a cushion when you can raise the seat up. Drives me nuts...

You know I almost bought a Suburban, but a friend advise not too as his wife was constantly hitting peeps when changing lanes.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:43 PM
icelatte
Racer

Call it a luxury hazard of owning multiple cars.

In our driveway:
My father-in-law backed into my car.
My sister-in-law (driving wife's car) backed into his car.
My wife merely backed into the garage door.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 441 Posts

Well, to answer your original question... she's just human.

Putting it into perspective though, this situation you're in is still a lot better than being under a building in Haiti right now with your legs crushed and time running out on ever getting saved...

Sorry to hear this Tony. At least you can afford to get it fixed.

Hang in there, man and whatever you do, don't make her feel any worse than she does already. Just tell her you love her and move on. 5 years from now will it have really mattered, what she did? Not worth the stress.

Ok, I don't actually live the above suggestions real well. Maybe they were more for myself to hear and remember than for you.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Well, to answer your original question... she's just human.

Putting it into perspective though, this situation you're in is still a lot better than being under a building in Haiti right now with your legs crushed and time running out on ever getting saved...

Sorry to hear this Tony. At least you can afford to get it fixed.

Hang in there, man and whatever you do, don't make her feel any worse than she does already. Just tell her you love her and move on. 5 years from now will it have really mattered, what she did? Not worth the stress.

Ok, I don't actually live the above suggestions real well. Maybe they were more for myself to hear and remember than for you.

Yeah mon, u got that right, but I'll still pretend for a bit more. I've an 8 am appointment at the shop, and not Euro Slow, I want it fixed asap.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Yeah mon, u got that right, but I'll still pretend for a bit more. I've an 8 am appointment at the shop, and not Euro Slow, I want it fixed asap.
Oh my... not Euro? Can you say where you're taking it? It's always good to have a new body shop to fix stuff at when you don't feel like waiting... forever. I brought my wife's car to D&D Auto Body on the advice of a friend that's used them for years, at Gude Dr and Rt 355 behind Il Pizzico, but I'm not sure I'd take my 993 or 740i there.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:26 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Oh my... not Euro? Can you say where you're taking it? It's always good to have a new body shop to fix stuff at when you don't feel like waiting... forever. I brought my wife's car to D&D Auto Body on the advice of a friend that's used them for years, at Gude Dr and Rt 355 behind Il Pizzico, but I'm not sure I'd take my 993 or 740i there.
I'll be taking it to Hans Auto. They did the repairs when I had the golf ball incident awhile back. Got it back in 24 hours, and a lil over $500 bucks which the country club picked up. I won't mention on here how much/and what the estimate was from the other folks. My boss has been using Hans for many years and highly recommended them. I would take the 993 there, but only for minor stuff.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Cool. I hope to remember this so I can take my car/s there next time they get in trouble.

Is this the right location for them?
http://www.hansautocenter.com/
Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Cool. I hope to remember this so I can take my car/s there next time they get in trouble.

Is this the right location for them?
http://www.hansautocenter.com/
Yup, that's the shop.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll check them out.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

If my wife looked like that, the last thing i'd be worried about is what piece of METAL she backed into Just sayin....

Quick Reply: Who reverses car without looking into rearview mirror?