Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Blue Blues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure you guys that call perception into question are correct. Again, I was looking for a little less banging around with this change. BTW: my wife doesn't drive the car. She puts on makeup while I drive UserA, as another Philly driver, I am sure you know the conditions under which we drive. I am hopeful that what you say will come true!

Are some of you saying the harshness comes mainly from the springs?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 AM
vaujot
Instructor

pcarhombre,
if the ride really bothers you too much, I think the softer M033 springs are definitely worth a try. I have contemporary tests of the 993 where they say that the ride with the M030 suspension is much worse than the standard. they discourage taking the M030 option for this reason.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:23 AM
User 121721
Racer

Most people myself included have thought the ride became more supple with the M030/HD setup (I also installed upgraded sway bars and a strut brace).

Perceptions vary -- you're not the first person who found the setup to be too stiff. For Jerry et al there's no substitute for riding in a car with the setup and experiencing the ride before you do the install. Zombie did that for me and I was sold in the first 60 seconds.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:35 PM
cy7878
Instructor

As someone who recently had Bilstein HD and US Spec M030 installed, I can honestly say I do enjoy the improved handling particularly on freeway on.off ramps. The car turns more confidently and so far I have not noticed any harshness so many Rennlisters complained about. The So Cal roads I drive on are not perfect by any means, which is why I didn't want to lower the car.

Now, having lived in Philly for 4 years in the mid 90's for school, I can certainly appreciate why you are disappointed with firmer ride. I recall Philly having potholes that can probably swollow up a whole car. My then 1 year-old Mazda would get beat up driving down Broad Street. Many of the freeway ramps seemed to having potholes built-in, as they are almost always unavoidable. My friend mistakenly brought over a Chevy Camero from Cali to Philly and that car just got worked.

Sorry to hear that you are not happy. But like others have said, suspension setup really depends on not just the components, but the driver, car and the road travelled.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:14 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
pcarhombre,
if the ride really bothers you too much, I think the softer M033 springs are definitely worth a try. I have contemporary tests of the 993 where they say that the ride with the M030 suspension is much worse than the standard. they discourage taking the M030 option for this reason.
+1

The M033 springs are not progressive like the M030.
For those wanting a relatively softer ride, this is a good solution.

pcarhombre, this change would cost you a lot less. You could sell the M030 springs...
most costly part of the change would be the swap, if you don't do it yourself, and the alignment/CB.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:18 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Thanks to all for the support. I do wish I had an opportunity to have ridden in a car with this setup prior. It was my hope (failed) that while there would be a certain "stiffness'" I wouldn't have to slow down for every bump in the road. The most alarming is that sometimes the resulting jolt will actually throw the car off track. At this point, because of the untimely steering rack failure, I've got a few days to mull over any potential solutions - short of scrapping the whole setup. I have to give a shout out (corny) to my friend and fellow RLer who sold me this setup. He wonderfully agreed to buy back the parts. The problem is after $1.5k to install, plus the price of the parts, I'd be looking at the cost of a different system and the same cost to reinstall. For me at this juncture, not a very practical solution. Since the rack will require yet another alignment, I'm going to investigate the 033s as a possible solution and hope for the best. At this point, having had the car for less than a year, and having tried to do my due diligence, I feel somewhat deflated. Oh well. Caca pasa.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, was that $1500 to install, or was that price including the HD's?
I had mine installed in my old C2S for $350NZ. Thats about $200US.
Anyway, I loved the ride. It made a HUGE difference to how the car felt and handeled.
That's sold now but just last week I recieved my new HD set up for my TT. And to be honest I can't wait for them to be installed (by me this time)
Sorry you don't like it, and your roads must be rough. Here the roads are like goat tracks a lot of the time and the new set up is easy on the body IMO.
As for getting softer over time.....well, maybe
Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

993man, everything else seems to get softer with time, so why not the suspension Yes...for install only.
Mark, I'm going to look into this angle. Do you guys handle just the springs? PM me with info please. Anyone looking for a set of slightly used m030 springs? (I am correct that you mean keep the HDs and change springs, right?)
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 AM
michel j
Instructor

You could always go back to the stock springs. They are probably still in good condition and work well with the Bilstein HDs. I decided to go this route after driving my friend's 993 with the M030 and Bilstein HD setup.
I could not be happier. The ride is compliant and such a big improvement over the dead Monroes. Ride height is a little high but I never bottom out, and that's a good thing.

Last edited by michel j; 01-19-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
993man, everything else seems to get softer with time, so why not the suspension Yes...for install only.
Mark, I'm going to look into this angle. Do you guys handle just the springs? PM me with info please. Anyone looking for a set of slightly used m030 springs? (I am correct that you mean keep the HDs and change springs, right?)
I may be interested in the springs (and HDs for that matter); email sent.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Blue Blues