Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing ABS sensor

hi guys

abs sensor on the front is stuck

cant even get the screw out as the socket is lunched

once i drill the screw out, whats the best way to remove the sensor ? Can i drive it out somehow with a hammer ?

cheers

Rich
Old 01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo can drive the sensor out, but you either have to remove the axle or stub, depending on 2wd or 4wd. When I converted the 964 to 993 knuckles, one broke. I ended up drilling larger and larger holes down the centerof the sensor until I got it to collapse on itself. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by jackal2513
hi guys

abs sensor on the front is stuck

cant even get the screw out as the socket is lunched

once i drill the screw out, whats the best way to remove the sensor ? Can i drive it out somehow with a hammer ?

cheers

Rich
Seems, like there's a 50% casualty rate on these. I broke one but got the other out. Ended up buying 2 new ones.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:38 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same sad story on both front wheel carriers.

On one I was able to drill out the screw and not bugger the threads. The other I tapped out at +1mm and had to drill the new sensor mounting plate hole out to fit the bigger screw.

I pulled off the wheel carrier (porsche calls it a steering knuckle), put it in my vice, and got a wooden dowel that was slightly smaller diameter than the sensor and hammered it out with the dowel pushing out lots of old copper windings in mess of dead sensor.

Then I took some emery paper to the inside of the carrier and cleaned up what looked like some aluminum oxidization on the inside (hoping this would not cause the new sensor to suffer the same fate).

Finally, use a really good high temp copper antisieze on the screw that holds the sensor when you put it all back together.

p.s. I have an almost new abs sensor that is yours for $15 + shipping, pm me if you want it.

-reiner
Old 01-13-2010, 04:45 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys

Quick Reply: removing ABS sensor