Sponsored by:

How do I remove the front hifi speaker grills

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM
rc1320
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the front hifi speaker grills

I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove the front speaker grills so that I can replace the cracked grill.

Are these screwed in from the back? I spent sometime yanking on it and I cant get it to budge and after 20 searches with no answers I'm posting up for help.

-Ryan

UPDATE: Please see the forth post for my review of the fix.

Last edited by rc1320; 01-11-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The grill is held on with those press on washers. I believe you need to remove the door panel to remove the washers to install the new cover. I did this a few years back, so the details are fuzzy...

(Update. Yes, I think you guys are right that you can just remove the outer part of the door panel with the screws to get to the back of the speaker cover.)

Last edited by ppressle; 01-12-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: correct mistakes...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The easiest way is to remove the carpeted cover (lower inner door panel). Check around the edge of the carpeted area and you'll see the screws, the grilles themselves are attached to the carpeted inner door panel. The vinyl main door panel stays on the door. I am a mechanical rube and even I did it. The speakers if I remember correctly are held on with torx screws.

Someone please tell me how I remove the rear hifi option speaker grilles ? do I remove the entire rear deck panel ?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
rc1320
Instructor

Turns out the speakers are held on with a small circular press on washers. Remove the 6 screws that hold on the pocket to gain access to the washers from the back side of the panel.

When I was working on it I didn't find any easy way to get them off besides snipping the pins which the washers slide on to until they just pop off. All in all it was less than a 30 minute job.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Someone please tell me how I remove the rear hifi option speaker grilles ? do I remove the entire rear deck panel ?
Yes. four screws.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 AM
silverporsche993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where did u get the speaker grills, mine are cracked too? thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 07:19 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Like this

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, "GT" sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
valve caps Porsche crested brushed alloy, front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)

Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by rc1320
I'm having trouble figuring out how to remove the front speaker grills so that I can replace the cracked grill.
I recently replaced a speaker grill and used the following instructions for removing the door panel.

Door Panel Removal
Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
PSD21
Cruisin'

When I was doing a speaker replacement, I desired to mount one of the component speakers similar to the picture that The Eagle posted, which required removing the grill from the lower door enclosure. I was able to remove the grills by prying very slightly on the gaps in the press washer -- just enough to allow them to slide off. This required a little patience and a very small flat head screw driver. If you are over zealous you may break them. When I was done mounting the speaker I was able to reform the press washer using needle nose pliers so they would apply tension to the mounting posts of the grill. Now finished, I haven't had any problems with my grills remaining tightly fastened and didn't have to get creative about remounting my grills. I think the right hot glue or hardening adhesive on the back of the mounting posts would probably have worked had I not been able to reuse the crush washers. Then again, if you are just replacing and not attempting to reuse the grills, snipping off the posts at the base maybe the easiest route. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the front hifi speaker grills