Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Why don't more cab owners install ROLLBARS? ...not eye-pleasing? ...not OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
FWIW, probably $.02 or so,,, I like the looks of the Speedster roll-bar in these recent posts. I think the issue is providing enough height for structural protection in the the case of a roll-over, yet to keep the hoops far enough away from the head/body as to never be an issue in any accident, particularly with standard lap belts.

I know the latter part of the equation is an issue with the roll-bar solutions for the S2000, as an example.
Makes sense! From what I've seen - & my first-hand photos on page 1 hopefully show - the customized Boxster rollbar was behind the hard-back, fixed Speedster bucket sport seat headrests.
Originally Posted by JPP
What about the Boxster system? Factory parts, built-in removable glass wind screen, probably lots available at local dismantlers.
Here's a Boxster rollbar installtion in a 911 with different seats. Thoughts on potential impingement with soft human bodies?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For your car, I personally like the speedster hoops fabbed by SCarGo in the Barry Bond's car; only thing I would add would be an additional cross bar on the sides (low enough not to affect entry/exit) but still high enough for added door impact protection.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

David-- Ever seen an appealing rollbar for your cab?
Originally Posted by David in LA
For your car, I personally like the speedster hoops fabbed by SCarGo in the Barry Bond's car.
Thanks for the details you've posted elsewhere on that Speedster's custom rollbar. Very tempting; even more-so, IMHO, if it can incorporate windstops

Glad to hear from you: I was thinking you might be one who's seen or heard of the TechArt rollbar that RLer D.G. mentioned?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, the height of the occupants comes into play, but to me these look safer...

>>> than these...

Whether or not harnesses are employed is another big variable. You might try posing the question in the Racing forum too...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Other than a TechArt rollbar mentioned but not yet seen, anyone have additional options that they'd like the looks of enough to put in their daily driver cab?
Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Also, the height of the occupants comes into play.

Whether or not harnesses are employed is another big variable. You might try posing the question in the Racing forum too...
Thanks Jason-- All good points. Speaking of: 5-point racing harnesses are obviously a wonderful safety improvement. I'm hoping to focus this more on OEM solutions, as in anything similar to what newer street / daily-use 911 cabs/ Boxsters & similar convertibles come commonly equipped with.

I'm hoping to find products that will be incorporated in RLers' cabs, since so many are without rollbars during public use.

Any cab owners want to weigh in on what you'd buy & use that's available?

If nothing's already available that you dig, do you see a solution?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 AM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been debating the rollbar for a long time. Here is the Das installed on a 964 http://forums.rennlist.com/ It looks pretty sporty, but man, those are some hard bars close to your head and arms. I would hate to hit these bars in a violent accident or if a seat breaks during a collision. Autopower http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/aut...ation_list.asp also has a roll bar. My big concern is hitting the dang rollbar with my body when not wearing a helmit. Windshields seriously hurt many motorists before 3 point restraints and airbags. I can see the same with the old fashion roll bars.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a Heigo bar that I bought from FVD in my cab. I thought it looked fine. Can't recall if I ever posted pics of that or not. And I can't recall if you can still use the wind stop, but I'm sure I posted about that.

The DAS bar, however, isn't so pretty but it's more stout, partly due to the huge bar that runs across the tranny tunnel.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Default Heigo rollbar on 964

Heigo rollbar on 964. I found this on the web.
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know safety is paramount and I will never dispute that fact. I was in a rollover with the top down, but can someone please make something that doesn't look like ***! Again, I am all for safety, but I bought my car for looks as well. IMHO that Heigo bar looks horrible. If I had to have a 911 with a roll bar I would jump to a 997 at least they are integrated.

Mike
Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

I wish I could find more pics of installed roll bars. The few pics I kind of like as they seem retro and era appropriate. That is just me though, and based only on a few pictures..
Old 01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fishing
My big concern is hitting the dang rollbar with my body when not wearing a helmit. Windshields seriously hurt many motorists before 3 point restraints and airbags. I can see the same with the old fashion roll bars.
From my Miata days, I was told that helmets are mandatory with roll bars ^^for this reason^^. Chances are, on the street, you aren't wearing a helmet in your 993 cab. That may be the reason why you don't see too many roll bars installed?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Jager, I like the look of the modified boxster unit in the Vegas 964. That install would be a no brainer for me if I had your car.

I haven't done a roll bar for a couple of reasons: 1. my kids ride in back quite often and 2. I'm not sure I like the look (It may be dumb, looks over safety, but the fact I bought a convert in the first place means I chose open air motoring over safety, really.)

I plan on keeping my car for the long haul and the plan has always been to do a custom rear-seat-delete kit as soon as my younger son no longer fits in back. It will be at this point in time (making RSD kit) that I will make a final decision on going with or without a rollbar. I will want to keep the windscreen.

Below are a couple pics I have saved of 911's with roll bars:

Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

I want a roll bar for added safety, but I agree the only ones available look like CRAP!
Why didn't Porsche do something about this?
IMO the modified Boxster and the Techart units look the best.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Andre'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My take on this - don't by a cab if you intend to track the car/participate in DE's. Get you a coupe if you are truly safety oriented! Even by adding a roll bar the structural integity of the safety cell won't match up to a coupe, and won't provide the same level of protection!

And as far as safety is a concern using a cab as daily driver - the 993 cab was tested extensively according to German safety standards (TUEV) prior to it's release. Do I feel safe driving my cab? Absolutely!!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like everyone is forgetting about structure purpose of a roll bar. Cabs and speedsters have body flex. Sure going forward really helps. First mount the roll bar to the heavy unibody frame rails and not the flat floor pan. I mounted my boxster roll bar to the strong frame areas. This tighten up the car. Feels like I'm driving a coupe. Really needed with 400+ hp. After watching all the Porsches go through IAA and Copart over the last ten years. I've seen plenty of roll over cabs. Light grass roll over will save the drive and passenger. Any heavy roll over... for get it.

Quick Reply: Why don't more cab owners install ROLLBARS? ...not eye-pleasing? ...not OEM?