Sponsored by:

ignition cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I doubt that would happen. They would be too afraid of being alienated.

For example, the recommendation to install aftermarket valve covers because the OEM units are leaking, when all that is required are new seals.

I wonder if the old dried up seals would prevent a billet valve cover from leaking.
so now I am a liar? Nice....
Doubt all you like but there have been many examples of this here.

Sir, your example only exists in your head. No one ever said billet covers were needed to stop a VC leak.
My professional advice, less typing, more reading.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Sir, your example only exists in your head. No one ever said billet covers were needed to stop a VC leak.
God Mark, you are defensive.

Go and read (yes less typing, more reading) some of the threads where someone asks about leaking valve covers and you will almost always find someone (that is someone, not you) who will chime in and state that their billet valve covers were the solution. The solution almost always is, new seals...that is why they call them seals. If owners want to bling up their car with those covers, fine, but don't call them to what amounts to the one and only solution to valve cover leaks.

There is so much crap on forums (and don't get defensive again...I said forums) of things being sold based on misleading information provided, sometimes by a user and sometimes by a vendor. That Safe-A-Battery charger comes to mind amongst so many other things.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:50 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Go and read (yes less typing, more reading) some of the threads where someone asks about leaking valve covers and you will almost always find someone (that is someone, not you) who will chime in and state that their billet valve covers were the solution. The solution almost always is, new seals...that is why they call them seals. If owners want to bling up their car with those covers, fine, but don't call them to what amounts to the one and only solution to valve cover leaks.

There is so much crap on forums (and don't get defensive again...I said forums) of things being sold based on misleading information provided, sometimes by a user and sometimes by a vendor. That Safe-A-Battery charger comes to mind amongst so many other things.
morning Alex

one tends to be defensive when one is attacked
people are funny that way

Are we done with this passive-aggressive dance yet?

if it helps you sleep, we can say you won.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

I hate blingy useless crap as much as the next guy, but you are out of line here.

FDM have provided products that were missing in the market, and I've never seen them pitch anything unnecessarily. Sure, if someone has leaking valve covers, they may suggest new seals and a set of billet covers, not because they are necessary, but because they look nice (to some). Point is that they are running a business, and as a supporting vendor, have the ability to recommend products. Its not like Mark has a gun to anyone's head, and I've never seen him say that billet valve covers are necessary for leak free operation.

Why you would want to insult a guy who has done nothing but good for the 993 community, I really have no idea.

Things like the golden rod, AWD short shifter, and turbo sport cats are all great mods, pioneered/made more affordable by fdm.

seriously, out of line.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I will absolutely agree that there is a lot of bogus information flying around on the forums and Rennlist is not immune to it, although it is definitely one of the better ones.
The fact that we have a different opinion on changing 15 year old spark plug wires, is just that... a difference of opinion. If wires are failing on my personal car, at 15 years old, I am going to replace the complete set of wires, including the ends. That is the way I do it. You want to change the wires only. That's fine. We look at things differently.
We put our heart and soul, as well as just about every waking minute, into FD Motorsports. For you to suggest we are giving people bogus advice to propagate our bottom line couldn't be any further from the truth.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Alex, you and I have had a disagreement in the past so I was hesitant to post anything here, but after reading your tone, I just feel like I have to. Darin and Mark have been my '993 friends' since well before FDM was born and I have watched from the sideline as they built their humble business. I have seem them agonize over ways to provide high quality products/services to their customers and make just enough money to keep the lights on. If you did the math and divided their total profit by the number of hours they put in, it might come up to minimum wage! It's all about the passion for the cars and doing something special for their customers. I'm not trying to disparage you in any way, but you just could not be more off-target here, sorry......Paul
Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

There are good people and bad people everywhere.

I try to spend as much of my time and effort with the good people.

"people" can be replaced with any of the following:
businesses
cars
politicians
women
food

and so on....

BTW Darin and Mark are good people.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
There are good people and bad people everywhere.

I try to spend as much of my time and effort with the good people.

BTW Darin and Mark are good people.
Straight up .. the most honest and straightforward shop I've dealt with in many, many years. They did a full oil change for me today which they charge $195 total for ... but before that, they checked all my fault codes for me because I had a CEL on .. turned out to be nothing of concern so they reset the codes for me .. then they mounted my 5mm wheel spacers on all four wheels ... When Darin ran out for sandwiches, they brought me one, free ice cold coke and water in the 'customer beverage' fridge ... oh and because I was a little short on cash for bridge toll, Darin insisted on giving me two dollars out of his wallet to get me home .. Total bill: $195.00 I think their Aliens ...
Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

thanks for the nice comments...

I don't know what else to say. Just, thank you
Old 08-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

free golden rods for everyone!!!

(I already have one though, so I'll take a set of k16/24 hybrids, thanks)
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Seriously, out of line.
Excuse me! I was doing a search for some info and came across this older thread and found a post that I decided to reply to. Can't I, or is this a police state!

As usual, because this happened in another thread on the subject of ignition cables, Mark "jumped"on me with some response.

What is upsetting him sooooo much?

Is it the fact that I decided to make my own cables and that some other RLers have decided to do likewise?

OR

Is it the fact that I am selling a few sets at cost plus the cost-sharing of the crimper?

As for the resistors failing, I and those that have decided to go this route are willing to accept the fact that a resistor may fail...one day. I can buy a new ready made cable set and a resistor may fail the next month. I'll deal with it when it happens; one thing is for sure, it won't leave me stranded.

As for anyone providing useful info on this forum, useful info (in the case of say leaking valve covers) would be to suggest replacing the seals first before spending big coin on something that in most likely hood, that person does not need, the unnecessary replacement of valve covers.

I also remember that battery charger thread that the vendor wasn't thrilled with me questioning many aspects of it (I work with and evaluate batteries and chargers...so I know something about them). I guess I should have said nothing, but then how many RLers would we have that are misinformed.

Anyway, gotta go and mail some cable sets.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Excuse me! I was doing a search for some info and came across this older thread and found a post that I decided to reply to. Can't I, or is this a police state!
Wow. Now THAT'S what I call "defensive"!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Andreas
Old 08-12-2011, 11:21 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

As usual, because this happened in another thread on the subject of ignition cables, Mark "jumped"on me with some response.

What is upsetting him sooooo much?

Is it the fact that I decided to make my own cables and that some other RLers have decided to do likewise?

OR

Is it the fact that I am selling a few sets at cost plus the cost-sharing of the crimper?

As for the resistors failing, I and those that have decided to go this route are willing to accept the fact that a resistor may fail...one day. I can buy a new ready made cable set and a resistor may fail the next month. I'll deal with it when it happens; one thing is for sure, it won't leave me stranded.

Anyway, gotta go and mail some cable sets.
First, let's not pretend this is the first time we have discussed this.
It is not only about this thread and you know it. You have taken it upon yourself to take a poke at a couple of businesses here and seem to have some sort of grudge against them.

If I could be said to be "upset", as you have stated, it is only regarding the pattern you have of attacking "vendors" here as if they are the enemy.

Information sharing? Of course! But you seem to have the impression that you are always correct, all others cannot possibly know what they are talking about.

For example:
You dismiss Steve W's statements regarding the life of these resistors, again and again. He offers real life experience and a lot of it. I value that input.

I have said it is prudent to change the entire wire assembly at once (at 90K mile service at the latest).
Why? Because by the time the are wires due for replacement, so are the resistors.
Why? Because the resistors start failing around the same time. They live in a harsh environment, particularly on the exhaust side.
It is not required, simply good preventative maintenance. Some choose to do just the wires. Heck, I have done the same thing on my own 993 years ago and learned from it.

AGAIN, I will state: From my view, this discussion has zero to do with whether or not FD Motorsports sells a set of Beru wires. You don't seem to believe that and continually assert that we have some sort of evil agenda.

I fully realize that the above points will be met with "OK, so tell me when, exactly, do the resistors fail? At what miles? etc.."

There is no answer that will satisfy you, that is clear. I am OK with that.
However, you do seem to have another agenda... and I don't think for a minute that it is all about you making and selling plug wire sets. It is a much more important thing than that.

It seems to me that this has more to do with your ego.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
You have taken it upon yourself to take a poke at a couple of businesses here and seem to have some sort of grudge against them.
As you have taken a "poke" at me or anyone considering to make a choice...our choice.

Remember, I've discussed this DIY on this and other threads. Some have "pounced" on those posts.

Forums are for information exchange (amongst other things) and how to do things one way or another. Thats what forums are all about to ME.

Quick Reply: ignition cables