ignition cables

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:05 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
...resistors fail, etc. Yawn.
What year or mileage do they fail at? And what percentage of all of them out there fail at that point?

I'll replace the cap when it fails. And how will I know...about as easily when a resistor fails on a new cable set.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
What year or mileage do they fail at? And what percentage of all of them out there fail at that point?

I'll replace the cap when it fails. And how will I know...about as easily when a resistor fails on a new cable set.
OK... we can re-hash this again if you like.

I know you are familiar with preventative maintenence. And you often talk about "doing things right"... so this seems at odds with your philosophy and confuses me a bit, but as I said, sometimes I am not so bright.

The resistors are available individually from Porsche but are very pricey. When you add it all up, the pre-assembled sets are my preferred route.
More time and more money when it's done piece by piece, upon failure.

I experienced this first hand with my first 993 and paid the price.

All of that said, I fully realize you can save some money and deal with the rest later. I'd rather do it once and know it is done right.

I think we will end up agreeing to disagree
Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Alex,

FWIW,....my experience with these Beru connectors goes back 35+ years and these have not been as trouble-free as I would have wished. I've had them last anywhere from a few months to several years and given the consequences, I've learned to replace them at every wire change since I cannot tolerate "come-backs" in this business.

I do test them at regular intervals to assure that I never chase a mysterious mis-fire that burns a LOT of time.

Our older cars all get Magnecor wire sets whose connectors are resistor-free.

Naturally, JMHO,
Old 08-10-2011, 02:56 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I think we will end up agreeing to disagree
Absolutely!

I hope you're not going to tell me to get a new Motronic unit because it might fail.

You sell these wire sets, so I can see where you are coming from.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Alex,....if I may,.....

Although you might disagree, what we (those of us in this industry) sell is "Service".

We are entrusted to look after our clients cars as our own and keep them running properly so the owners do not experience problems and maintain smog compliance as needed.

To this end, one prefers to be proactive, rather than reactive, and this prevents customers from returning to the shop to fix the same problem all over again.

It sounds like you may have had some unfortunate service experiences in your life,.....however,...........everyone in this business is decidedly not all cut from the same cloth and one should not "tar everyone with the same brush". There are still many shops that maintain their integrity & honesty and put a customer's financial well-being above their own.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Absolutely!

I hope you're not going to tell me to get a new Motronic unit because it might fail.

Suggesting replacement of the Motronic unit would be plain silly and is simply not a valid analogy.

I know it is probably hard for you to believe this but we don't push sales of unnecessary items or services. We don't sell people stuff they don't need. You seem to think we do and frankly, it is insulting. Hopefully I am wrong but that is the honest impression I get.

The fact that we (FDM) sell parts is not a factor in this conversation.
It as simple as this: Our business is based on our enthusiasm for these cars and we are honest and straightforward in running it.

Apparently you are selling a product also, so I guess I see where you are coming from.

EDIT: Well said Steve, seems that I was not alone in my impression.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:15 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Apparently you are selling a product also, so I guess I see where you are coming from.
Not really; I'm not making anything selling them. It a service to members.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:22 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Not really; I'm not making anything selling them. It a service to members.
So this is a free service. Cool.

Edit: Oh wait, maybe not?
Personally, I think this is great for the DIY community here. It gives people a choice and that's never bad when it comes to pcars. You are offering what seems to be a good service at a more than fair price.

However, let's be clear... or define "free"
https://rennlist.com/forums/8727510-post46.html

Just to wrap things up, you never refuted any of my perceptions regarding your assertions and insinuations around our busness practices. I can only surmise that you, as Steve said, have had some really poor experiences with "vendors" and are therefore scarred for life.
I'm sorry you had those experiences but please cut us some slack.

Last edited by MarkD; 08-10-2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

A DIY person is a little more tolerant of a misfire on a set of plug wires he just installed a few weeks ago, and now the connector is bad! A take off and redo does not wear on your nerves as much.

Take it to a pro, and you had a connector fail after two weeks? Who is going to eat the labor because the customer insisted on using the old connectors?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by techman1
A DIY person is a little more tolerant of a misfire on a set of plug wires he just installed a few weeks ago, and now the connector is bad! A take off and redo does not wear on your nerves as much.

Take it to a pro, and you had a connector fail after two weeks? Who is going to eat the labor because the customer insisted on using the old connectors?
You summed it up well.

If you've got the time and are a DIYer, then it might makes sense. Then it only depends on how much time and patience you have.

The shop scenario gets sticky. On top of the issue you rasied, the shop ends up with a customer wondering why you didn't talk them out of it. Even if it is in writing, you have an ugly situation...
Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

I can only surmise that you, as Steve said, have had some really poor experiences with "vendors" and are therefore scarred for life.
Not really as I have been wrenching on VWs since I was 13, I think even earlier. I've never taken any of my vehicles to a shop and the one time I did, it was because it was on warranty. They didn't know what they were talking about...fixed it myself.

I've never been too impressed with the craftsmanship (or lack of) found in shops. Chances are nil they'll get to work on my DD; forget about the Porsche.

Investigative reporting on TV hasn't painted a very good picture of the business in general.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Not really as I have been wrenching on VWs since I was 13, I think even earlier. I've never taken any of my vehicles to a shop and the one time I did, it was because it was on warranty. They didn't know what they were talking about...fixed it myself.

I've never been too impressed with the craftsmanship (or lack of) found in shops. Chances are nil they'll get to work on my DD; forget about the Porsche.

Investigative reporting on TV hasn't painted a very good picture of the business in general.
Don't believe everything you see on TV, Alex. Some of it is put there to get ratings.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

I've never been too impressed with the craftsmanship (or lack of) found in shops. Chances are nil they'll get to work on my DD; forget about the Porsche..
Same goes for Doctors. That's why I perform my own surgeries.

Seriously though, if all shops sucked and had nothing to offer anyone, including many shadetree mechanics on this very site, the would cease to exist, no? The craftsmanship that I've experienced with two shops within 5 miles from my house (Callas Rennsport and Arredondo Motorsports) is second to none. The tools, techniques and experience that these guys have gathered doing this day-in day-out for years on end are mind-boggling. All of this collective knowledge has a synergistic aspect to it as well.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't know what I know, nor be able to own my car without two things: the Rennlist community and my awesome mechanic. Oh yeah, and FD motorsports for getting me parts on the cheap!

So here's to guys like Steve, Darrin and Mark!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Same goes for Doctors. That's why I perform my own surgeries.

Seriously though, if all shops sucked and had nothing to offer anyone, including many shadetree mechanics on this very site, the would cease to exist, no? The craftsmanship that I've experienced with two shops within 5 miles from my house (Callas Rennsport and Arredondo Motorsports) is second to none. The tools, techniques and experience that these guys have gathered doing this day-in day-out for years on end are mind-boggling. All of this collective knowledge has a synergistic aspect to it as well.

I can honestly say that I wouldn't know what I know, nor be able to own my car without two things: the Rennlist community and my awesome mechanic. Oh yeah, and FD motorsports for getting me parts on the cheap!

So here's to guys like Steve, Darrin and Mark!
thanks Mike

there are good shops out there

and of all places, this forum least least tolerance for BS I have seen.
If someone here were "ripping people off" or trying to peddle some useless garbage, people here would rip them up. I've seen it numerous times, even participated.

I like that about this place.
it keeps people honest
Old 08-10-2011, 11:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

If someone here were "ripping people off" or trying to peddle some useless garbage, people here would rip them up.
I doubt that would happen. They would be too afraid of being alienated.

For example, the recommendation to install aftermarket valve covers because the OEM units are leaking, when all that is required are new seals.

I wonder if the old dried up seals would prevent a billet valve cover from leaking.

Quick Reply: ignition cables