Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**GREAT UPDATE **FS Caps and Rotors - $25.00 Rennwish Donation

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 07:19 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are very correct in your statement. However there are exceptions.
I saved this cat from a bad situation and I have training and experience with much larger cats from the refuge.
I didn't declaw Isis, she came that way. If I thought she didn't make a great pet I would never have bought her in the first place.
She's has dog like qualities but very intelligent.
My previous cats were a Lynx, and a Serval and they had full lives.
BTW these cats aren't cheap, they cost about the same as a 993
It's a commitment like marriage, except you get to keep all your stuff cause there's no divorce. The vow, "Till death do us part" has a whole new meaning!

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Not to be a downer, but...

Undomesticated animals are great novelties, but knowing a friend who had some big cats, they usually make bad pets. Some believe de-clawing cats is an ethical no-no, and although I don't really care too much either way, they often don't lead as good a life once they are full grown and beyond the ability of the owner to handle. Then their future is less fortunate, usually abandoned or end up in some wildlife refuge, if they're lucky, which isn't so lucky.

So you don't think I'm some liberal PETA softie, bobcat steaks are great on the grill

Cool cat nonetheless, and Happy New Year, all!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by c993k
You are very correct in your statement. However there are exceptions.
I saved this cat from a bad situation and I have training and experience with much larger cats from the refuge.
I didn't declaw Isis, she came that way. If I thought she didn't make a great pet I would never have bought her in the first place.
She's has dog like qualities but very intelligent.
My previous cats were a Lynx, and a Serval and they had full lives.
BTW these cats aren't cheap, they cost about the same as a 993
It's a commitment like marriage, except you get to keep all your stuff cause there's no divorce. The vow, "Till death do us part" has a whole new meaning!
Sounds like Big Kitty has a good home.

I didn't wanna rain on any one's parade, but as you well know, this responsibility is not for everyone. Enjoy your relationship; it sounds like a nice one.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

c993k

Just wondering are you a Zoologist? How does one get such experience with big cats. I saw a Serval on Animal Planet not too long ago. Those are very stunning cats. Very interseting that you work or have worked in a refuge.

Mike
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool about the $50 donation!

And the cat! My brother has one also. Except that his was free except what he paid the taxidermist. :ducking: He was bowhunting for deer and up in a treestand and a pretty big bobcat (i forget what it weighed, maybe 40 lbs?) was trailing where he came in a few hours earlier. He let it get all the way to the bottom of the tree he was in and decided he had to do something. He shot it with his bow and said he had never seen an animal move as fast as it did. The arrow did it's damage, but the bobcat ran into a tree and finished itself off. I'm sure the pet above will be okay, but I won't be getting one! Especially if it costs as much as a 993!! I looked into falconry at one point, but that is also like a marriage. You have to take them out 2 hours a day for exercise and they are extremely fragile animals.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

No I'm not zooloo, I do have a Florida class 2 wildlife permit and heavy insurance.
In South Florida there are many people who keep large cats with a class 1 permit, which is for large cats that can eat you.
Lynx, Servals and Bobcats fall in a medium size cat catagory not really a threat to people.
In the 70's and 80's it was quite common for people in Florida to have large Cougars and Tigers as pets till many of them got larger and they weren't able to handle them.
These cats ended up being moved from owner to owner untill they ended up getting killed.
The Florida Wildlife Commision allows people to get Class 1 permits for large animals
but you need to have proper size lots and cages with a safety entrance.
You need 1000 hours or one year training with all aspects of the animals you are keeping.
In the class 2 permit you only need 100 hours or write an exam and have your place checked out for the proper care and housing of the animal you plan to keep.
I have several friends who live outside city limits and have a lot of huge animals to play with and learn.
I put in my time taking care of large cats just to be able to get my permit but then I found them more fascinating than anything else so I still visit them every chance I get.
Pit Bulls should need a class 1 permit to keep but they still run free in many states and it wasn't till recently that we all thought monkeys were cute!
We have parks in the Everglades here with huge alligators running free that you can walk right up to them with no one around to stop you.
Nobody has ever been eaten! Respect, Knowledge and a Glock will keep you out of trouble walking through a bad area in Detroit at night or stepping on alligators sleeping in the Everglades.
Originally Posted by Arena993
c993k

Just wondering are you a Zoologist? How does one get such experience with big cats. I saw a Serval on Animal Planet not too long ago. Those are very stunning cats. Very interseting that you work or have worked in a refuge.

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks. Very intersting.

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member