Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wish my 993 was as easy as my BMW was today at the emissions station. The story...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts
Default Wish my 993 was as easy as my BMW was today at the emissions station. The story...

So I went to my VEIP (Maryland emissions station) today as I just got the notice. I finally got my BMW into the bay and awaited what was next. He said to simply step out of the car and I waited in the booth. He looked disgruntled and said something under his breath. I walked over and asked if everything was ok in paradise... he looked up at me and said I was lucky. He added that because I have a wood cover over my OBD he wasn't allowed to remove it. Apparently they have cracked many of these over the years and they're $500 to replace, so instead of accessing the car's computer he merely checked that the CEL wasn't on and gave me an "automatic pass" as he put it. You can just see the OBD signage directly in front of my watch below the heated seat symbol. That's the piece of wood they didn't make me remove. In other states, the owner HAS to remove it so the testing station can access the OBD.

On my 993, I have had the CEL on for many years. I've been waiting for a notice from VEIP but haven't received one. After my 2001 BMW 740i has passed, I mentioned to this guy that I have this "friend" who has a 1996 car but he hasn't received a notice in many years. I thought maybe I got a pass somehow. He said that this friend might have fallen through the cracks, that everyone is supposed to get their car inspected every 2 years. I think he said it was 1996 cars and higher but I could be wrong about that.

Wish my 993 was as easy to pass as my BMW was. If and when I get the notice, I'm going to finally have to deal with my SAI port cleaning issue if that's what it is. That's what my code reader says it is (the SAI codes). The real lucky deal would be to live in the states where they don't have testing (to name 2, OH and IL)

Just passing along that car tidbit. Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, my CEL is on right now after being off for the better part of this year...my inspection is due in just over two months...with luck, tomorrow's spirited drive with the rest of the N. Ga contingent should blow out a little carbon!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
So I went to my VEIP (Maryland emissions station) today as I just got the notice. I finally got my BMW into the bay and awaited what was next. He said to simply step out of the car and I waited in the booth. He looked disgruntled and said something under his breath. I walked over and asked if everything was ok in paradise... he looked up at me and said I was lucky. He added that because I have a wood cover over my OBD he wasn't allowed to remove it. Apparently they have cracked many of these over the years and they're $500 to replace, so instead of accessing the car's computer he merely checked that the CEL wasn't on and gave me an "automatic pass" as he put it. You can just see the OBD signage directly in front of my watch below the heated seat symbol. That's the piece of wood they didn't make me remove. In other states, the owner HAS to remove it so the testing station can access the OBD.

On my 993, I have had the CEL on for many years. I've been waiting for a notice from VEIP but haven't received one. After my 2001 BMW 740i has passed, I mentioned to this guy that I have this "friend" who has a 1996 car but he hasn't received a notice in many years. I thought maybe I got a pass somehow. He said that this friend might have fallen through the cracks, that everyone is supposed to get their car inspected every 2 years. I think he said it was 1996 cars and higher but I could be wrong about that.

Wish my 993 was as easy to pass as my BMW was. If and when I get the notice, I'm going to finally have to deal with my SAI port cleaning issue if that's what it is. That's what my code reader says it is (the SAI codes). The real lucky deal would be to live in the states where they don't have testing (to name 2, OH and IL)

Just passing along that car tidbit. Happy New Year!
Illinois has emissions testing. It has changed allot over the past few years. The state used to be like ****'s in the emissions regard. Not as bad as Cali but a PITA no less. Much better now. Still waiting to see if my 95' is going to need testing.

I believe it currently works like this in IL. If your car is 1995 or older and was "in compliance with IL emissions laws" in 2007 then no more testing. If your car is 1996 (because in the US 1996 is the year all cars had to have OBDII) or newer you go for the computer test. They hook up to your ODBII port and if the car has no CEL light shining and a "working OBDII system" and your gas cap seals properly it's an automatic pass. If the OBDII system is not working properly (bad CEL bulb etc.) or the CEL light is on you will fail.

Easy to get around if you have an intermittent CEL issue in IL. just disconnect the battery or clear the CEL by other means reconnect battery verify CEL is cleared. Drive car normally (like a daily driver) for three days and if your CEL light has not re-appeared go in for testing. No appointment needed just drive in let them hook it up and verify the CEL is off and you will pass. If the light is back on within the three days before you test you can clear CEL & try again or get the issue repaired. Sometimes 3 days will get you a "not enough data, come back in a couple days" result. it's just a matter of beating the CEL light to the test after enough data has accumulated. Once you pass your good for 2 years.

I'm still waiting to see about my 95' as I just purchased it in July 09 and it was technically NOT "in compliance with IL emissions laws in 2007" because in 2007 the car was not an Illinois car. I bought it out of state and brought it in to IL. So technically I should need to have it tested. Of course I'll wait for the notice stating I need to. Since IL has lightened up a bit in the past few years. I'm guessing that they don't want to bother with 95' and older cars anymore. They have closed all the testing stations that were equipped with the tail pipe sniffer and dyno to test them I believe, so I'm not sure I will ever get my "notice". All the better. It's all just a bunch of BS anyway

Nick
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 AM
bobesser
Pro

Default NEW MARKET!

He added that because I have a wood cover over my OBD he wasn't allowed to remove it. Apparently they have cracked many of these over the years and they're $500 to replace, so instead of accessing the car's computer he merely checked that the CEL wasn't on and gave me an "automatic pass" as he put it.
Okay, someone has to make wood OBD covers for us!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

A story I've heard is that some makers of diagnostic equipment pushed for the legislation to sell more instruments. My position is that as long as my car passes emissions inspection, it should be legal. After all, that's the point of the test, not whether the SES light and computer work or not. Besides, BMW (and probably other car makers as well) give more than sufficient indications of problems.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:24 PM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You are very lucky they just let you go with the Bimmer. I'm surprised they didn't at least do an idle test.

I also found out that they are wary of causing potential damage to certain cars. I took my 85.5 944 to VEIP for inspection last summer. The first guy was in the process of setting up the car for a dyno run. The I saw the manager come out and speak to him. Next thing I see they only do an idle sniff test, and by-pass running it on the dyno. I got my PASS certificate, but asked what happened earlier. He said that they've had to replace some clutches on Porsche's due to some dyno runs, and want to avoid now.

Interesting, I just noticed on VEIP's website that they only mention OBD ('96 or newer) and idle-sniff testing ('77 to '95); nothing of dyno testing. I wonder if they're doing away with it.

I also believe that CEL lit doesn't automatically mean it will fail. However, they suggest postponing the test because if it does fail, you only get 1 free re-test. Why risk a fail with the CEL light on.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Warpig
Pro

A story I've heard is that some makers of diagnostic equipment pushed for the legislation to sell more instruments. My position is that as long as my car passes emissions inspection, it should be legal. After all, that's the point of the test, not whether the SES light and computer work or not. Besides, BMW (and probably other car makers as well) give more than sufficient indications of problems.
I agree with you. What Illinois is trying to accomplish is to rely on the OBD system built into the car to determine if the car is within spec and do the work for them. It's my opinion that their thoughts are if the computer in the car designed to indicate an issue with the engine or emissions (among other things) is functional and not showing a CEL/SES light at the time of testing you pass. I dont know if the CEL/SES is a catch all. Most cars I believe have a CEL/SES light specifically to tell of "engine trouble" some cars have other warning lights for other issues. Hell the 993 gauges have more indicators in them than I have ever seen in another car, probably second to a jumbo jet or the space shuttle

Nick
Old 12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife's 530i threw a CEL for torque coverter slippage (fortunately remedied via CPO warranty). This is what is so frustrating about OBD-II, the trnasmission has nothing to do with emissions.

Cheers,
Joe

Quick Reply: Wish my 993 was as easy as my BMW was today at the emissions station. The story...