Sponsored by:

Victory Motorcars Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I would generally try to avoid buying from them for the known reasons but if they have a car that you are desperately looking for I would do my homework very diligently to understand history and real condition of the car. This would include a PPI at Mike Callas in Sealy.

Here are some specific items to look for based on experience:
- Do not believe anything that sales people tell you. They are THE "typical" used car dealer and with their reputation have nothing to loose.
- He has very good detailers to make the car look as good as possible (maybe better than it really is compared to similar cars). Check if the seats are re-dyed (they look so great on the photos ...).
- I would only buy after applying the paint meter
- Check if the service books belong to the specific car

Again, risk management is very important to make sure that you get what you pay for.
Very recently I was looking at one of his cars (Aventurine Green one, he still has it). I called to talk to him about it, all I could get out of Robert about the condition was "it's excellent" which is BS, esp. when you can see in the photos the spoiler wall is torn and the carpet has spots. However every car he has listed is stated as excellent condition, I wonder if they had original tires he would claim them to be excellent too. Makes his condition statements worthless.
I asked about a PPI at Callas, after trying to steer me to his guy for a PPI he agreed I could take the car to Callas but since Callas was over 70 mi. away (it's not, they're 49 mi. away) I would have to have the car flat bedded to and from Callas' and would have to pay for the towing.
Next he wanted to fax me a contract (this after talking w/ him for less than 5 min) and when I said I wasn't ready for the contract he lost all interest in continuing our (short) conversation.
Also for someone who claims to be a 30+ yr. "Porsche air-cooled Expert" you would think he would know how to spell Aventurine (he spells it with a "d" in ALL his ads).

I bought my car elsewhere. The only way I would deal with him is if I was local and able to monitor the entire process.

I would like to take a look at the Blue/Gray one he has now though but I don't know if it would be worth the headache of dealing with him.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, Robert is an interesting character. He always wants to steer you to one of the shops close to his business for PPI. I like a little more 'independence' and I know that I get this opinion from Mike Callas. If they car is really excellent as stated there is nothing to fear when a 'real 30+ yr expert like Mike looks at it. Again, even with me being local, I walked away after my first test drive which ended with an unprofessional ugly discussion about heavy metal deposits I found in the oil. He claimed that is is normal (maybe for his cars ...)
Old 12-25-2009, 05:05 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Victory

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appricate it. From what I continue to learn about this delicate process, I will take my time with choosing my bride and who I do business with.

Before I pull the trigger, I will post details of my find and go from there.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-25-2009, 06:05 PM
mlk118s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again. Used cars Pontiac or Porsche or Plymouth are still used cars. Some will be good some awful. Use your head and not just heart. I have read some disturbing things on here about them, but I personally owned an '82 Targa that they had sold to its previous owner and it was a fantastic car with full and legitimate documentation from new...I may have just been lucky, but you never know until you check for yourself.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:18 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Buy another bike... Wanna buy an MV Agusta instead of a Porsche? I want a new Ducati 1198S...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on Truspeed
Old 12-25-2009, 09:52 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
The foregoing negative comments regarding Victory not withstanding, I think you will find no dealer who makes better vacuuming marks on automotive carpeting anywhere.
+993
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I would generally try to avoid buying from them for the known reasons but if they have a car that you are desperately looking for I would do my homework very diligently to understand history and real condition of the car. This would include a PPI at Mike Callas in Sealy.

Here are some specific items to look for based on experience:
- Do not believe anything that sales people tell you. They are THE "typical" used car dealer and with their reputation have nothing to loose.
- He has very good detailers to make the car look as good as possible (maybe better than it really is compared to similar cars). Check if the seats are re-dyed (they look so great on the photos ...).
- I would only buy after applying the paint meter
- Check if the service books belong to the specific car

Again, risk management is very important to make sure that you get what you pay for.
I like this post. Some excellent cars will find their way to Victory. You might buy one. Then again, some real crap has found its way to Victory. You might buy one. The only way to tell is to do your due diligence. The only thing you know for certain. is that you will not find out which from anyone there...
Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Sorry JDHertz, my heart is set on a 993. The 2010 MTS 1200 Sport is sick tho....

BEHOLD!
Attached Images  

Last edited by oMenRC51; 12-26-2009 at 05:53 AM. Reason: revised pic
Old 12-26-2009, 06:00 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMnRC51, in case its not blindinly obvious, irrespective of where you get a car from (and victory shouldn't be on your shortlist) make sure you get a PPI from a shop the board reccomends.
Will possibly save you hassle further down the line, and often the expense of the PPI is covered by maintentance items you can negociate upfront.

GL
Old 12-26-2009, 06:17 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

PPashley, a PPI will be a mandatory condition with my purchase. I have a lead on a canidate and one I find a reputable Porsche wrench in the sellers area, I will make arrangements.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
MTBextrem
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NEVER BUY FROM VICTORYMOTORCARS UNLESS YOU ARE TECHNICAL EXPERT AND HAVE CHECKED THE CAR THOROUGHLY FOR MANY, MANY HOURS ...

I bought a 993 from Mr. Neal, Victorymotorcars, last year and he did not tell me on purpose that the gearbox was already fixed in the past and that an additive gearbox oil was filled in order to reduce the noice (furthermore, one could see with the naked eye that the screws of the gearbox were already opend in the past - which must have been known by Victorymotorcars as the car had even been serviced by the company for many years).

In the end the gearbox had to undergo a thorough overhaul which caused an invoice of almost USD 7k.

Victorymotorcars must have been aware of the damage of the gearbox, however, sold the car without mentioning this problem - a lawyer uses the term "willful deception" for this.

Mr. Neal refused to reimbursement of any costs ("no warranty").

Buy anywhere - but not at Victorymotorcars! It cannot get worse!

Regards from Austria,
Bernhard
Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Every car I have called on has always just been sold the day before. I always continue to see the same car I was interested in listed for another 8 weeks on eBay and still showing on his website. I doubt his inventory is a great as listed on his website.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by csmab
Every car I have called on has always just been sold the day before. I always continue to see the same car I was interested in listed for another 8 weeks on eBay and still showing on his website. I doubt his inventory is a great as listed on his website.
This is a known fact that his offerings do not match the inventory. But he has always a car "that is even better".
Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah, what a way to start the new year.....a VMC thread (rehash).

Mr. Bernhard from Austria, I am truly sorry you found out the hard way about them, not all us Yanks work the way they do though. Best of luck getting a resolution from them.

Quick Reply: Victory Motorcars Texas