Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DDM HID Foglight upgrade - UPDATE, Fog Test..

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009 | 07:08 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Great info JPP - thanks; me thinks I'll upgrade my Hella's!
Graham
Old 12-24-2009 | 08:27 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Look for Ace-Parts on Ebay UK. The proprietor is a 993 owner & extremely knowledgable and helpful!
Old 12-24-2009 | 12:21 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
The base should be the same. The offset pins are for dual filament bulbs, single filament are opposite pins not offset. The LED picture you posted looks like it has both types of bulbs (note the bottom contacts) but you can only see the pins on the double filament - or in that case technically double circuit LED. The one with the single bottom contact should fit.
Cool, got it. Thanks for the clarification!

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I agree with the others, excellent info and write-up. Thanks JP.
Thanks, Jason ... I appreciate the kind words and all the great info you've provided to all of us this past year as well ....

Originally Posted by Noah
Great stuff. What color range did you use? Looks like 4300K?
The closest to 4300K that the DDM kit's offer is 4500K in an H3 bulb. I have a Retro-Solutions 55W H1 HID kit for low beam headlights and in the pictures you can see that the foglights illumination on the grass appears slightly bluer than the headlights alone, but when you look at the car straight on with both headlights and foglights on, they all look white for as long as you can stand to stare at them ...

Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Great info JPP - thanks; me thinks I'll upgrade my Hella's!
Graham
Good show, Graham, these will be great for the backcountry. I will probably re-do the stickypad attachment scheme in the future with some sort of velcro arrangement so they are easy to get in and out for maintenance because, right now, if I had to remove the ballast/ignitors for some reason, it wouldn't be pretty. With your Speedster frame completely accessible, you are in a perfect situation to mount everything properly! Keep us posted, please ....

Originally Posted by Peter B
Look for Ace-Parts on Ebay UK. The proprietor is a 993 owner & extremely knowledgable and helpful!
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out.
Old 12-28-2009 | 02:03 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

JP,
Excellent write-up. I have the same kit sitting on my work bench.

Andreas
Old 12-28-2009 | 02:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AOW162435
JP,

Andreas
Somehow, I knew that ....

I will certainly be re-doing the kit's 'sticky pad' attachment scheme because removal of the housings at this point would be difficult without dislodging the ballast/ignitors from their perch. It would be great if you document your process/improvements for posterity ...
Old 12-28-2009 | 03:24 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
JP,
Make sure, uh, you clean the mounting surfaces for the ballasts before applying the double-sided tape.
Old 12-28-2009 | 03:32 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Noah
Make sure, uh, you clean the mounting surfaces for the ballasts before applying the double-sided tape.
Somehow, I got my hand and a small rag with some cleaner on it back in there and got it scrubbed down. You only get one shot at nailing the position of the ballast, as the stuff sticks like gorilla cement ... good for one application, but not RnR.
Old 12-28-2009 | 07:24 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Thanks JP...I keep looking at mine and thinking, whimpy lights!
I am thinking of getting the 35w from better bodies.com with the integrated air inlet. Anyone had any experience or feedback to offer on those?
Old 12-29-2009 | 01:50 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Smile

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Nice install write-up, thanks. Please report in when you get a chance to really use them in fog (real fog, not the heavy haze some call fog - you know what I mean I'm sure). My fear is they'll actually be too bright to be useful as fogs and around here fogs are a lot more useful than driving lights.
Well, I headed out down to San Jose this morning in fairly dense, low-lying fog and the HID foglights worked great! Something I didn't mention previously is that the projectors inside the stock housings are half-lidded, like a half closed eye. Even with the added brightness, they work as designed, forcing the light down in front of the car and under the fog, efectively lighting the road in front and to the sides. Probably the best foglights I've ever had, really, so I'm pleasantly surprised. The fog also ephasized my misaligned drivers side headlight, so a little more tweeking needed there. The new fogs do not shine up into the rear windows of traffic in front nor are they high enough to bother oncoming traffic, so all good.

Quick Reply: DDM HID Foglight upgrade - UPDATE, Fog Test..