Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you believe this?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009 | 08:04 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Default Can you believe this?!

Found this on the 993 Turbo forum. Unreal!! Read it until the end.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...isclosure.html
Old 12-19-2009 | 08:44 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by larpy
Found this on the 993 Turbo forum. Unreal!! Read it until the end.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...isclosure.html
Holy cr_p! It's like finding out Santa Clause isn't real .... Does Jerry know about this??
Old 12-19-2009 | 08:54 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

It's a long thread, so for those that were not following when it surfaced and/or need the Coles Notes version:

Bruce Canepa, one of the top West coast dealers with a reputedly top reputation (959 importation being among his most publicized exploits) was caught selling a known salvage 993TT to a Rennlister. Douche. And based on innuendo from trusted folks in the know, this should not be a surprise.

End of abridged account.

Old 12-19-2009 | 08:57 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
It's a long thread, so for those that were not following when it surfaced and/or need the Coles Notes version:

Bruce Canepa, one of the top West coast dealers with a reputedly top reputation (959 importation being among his most publicized exploits) was caught selling a known salvage 993TT to a Rennlister. Douche. And based on innuendo from trusted folks in the know, this should not be a surprise.

End of abridged account.

And is now trying to sell it again without disclosing the salvage. They never note that is has been branded as salvage. This amazes me!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ctd/1513410358.html
Old 12-20-2009 | 10:25 AM
911C2
Racer

OK I just read the new Craigslist add, and I must say I dissagree with you.

They tell you the owner could not aggree with the insurance company how to fix it and he received a cash settlement. What does that mean. To me it means the ins company totaled the car.

Then the add goes on to say " The shop owner has confirmed that the car suffered minor to moderate damage".

If nothing else this would make me ask some questions. If one chooses to ignore all that info and still purchase the car based on this add, well not sure it truly is the fault of the dealer.

We buy blemished good which are disclosed as blemished goods all the time. We don't get to take those back, becuase they did nto disclosed HOW blemished it was.

OK that my $0.02.
Old 12-20-2009 | 10:59 AM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911C2
OK I just read the new Craigslist add, and I must say I dissagree with you.

They tell you the owner could not aggree with the insurance company how to fix it and he received a cash settlement. What does that mean. To me it means the ins company totaled the car.

Then the add goes on to say " The shop owner has confirmed that the car suffered minor to moderate damage".

If nothing else this would make me ask some questions. If one chooses to ignore all that info and still purchase the car based on this add, well not sure it truly is the fault of the dealer.

We buy blemished good which are disclosed as blemished goods all the time. We don't get to take those back, becuase they did nto disclosed HOW blemished it was.

OK that my $0.02.
They are doing better with disclosure but why have they not given "Full" disclosure. They know what they have and have already attempted deception with the first buyer. Why not lay it all out?
Old 12-20-2009 | 12:03 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Assuming that there was any recent learning on Canepa's part, I'm surprised that they're still dancing around the word "salvage." They're on crack wanting $85K for a salvage car, low miles notwithstanding. Then again, there are plenty more tools with more money than due diligence who've never heard of RL.

I'm sorry, but with no PPI or Carfax, the OP (NYC) has no one but himself to blame. I reserve trust for known friends, not for people with a conflict of interest to mine, no matter how sterling their "reputation" might appear. I expect that he also had no prior familiarity with Canepa, so he must have been really blown away by the website and their vast experience with restorations and racing yadda yadda.

Lesson here: experience is unrelated to honesty.
Old 12-20-2009 | 01:09 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dcdude
Lesson here: experience is unrelated to honesty.
Amen. It still blows me away that this is Canepa, the shop that restores the rarest of the rare and converts same. Didn't they do Seinfeld's RS?

Quick Reply: Can you believe this?!