Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Just Wondering: Can Ruf Survive This Economy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Just Wondering: Can Ruf Survive This Economy?

Hi,

I wish nothing but the best for Ruf (Alois, Estonia, and everyone at Ruf). I think they are truly exceptional folks and a Godsend to Porsche enthusiasts all over the world.

But just reading how the Euro-zone, and now the Arab-zone (amongst others) are reeling under this aweful economy, I cannot help but wonder if there are adverse impacts to a company like Ruf. Seems like even VERY rich folks are scaling back all over.

I knew the Bahrain Ruf Center opened and closed within a very short time, and sales of all various brands of supercars are WAAAAY down. Even Porsche suffered badly and had to seek shelter with VW (failed financial bets I know, but still a tragedy). I just hope that Ruf can hang in there through these terrible times and come out standing strong when the ill winds finally blew over.

Best wishes to Ruf, Pfaffenhausen and Dallas. Happy holidays and peace to all.

CP

Last edited by CP; 12-16-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I expect that RUF's roots in servicing "regular" Porsches and owners will keep them in business through the hard times.

The Dallas shop is making some smart diversification decisions by hiring the best Ferrari mechanic in the region and by offering other performance modification brands. And they have a robust Porsche repair business too. I think that the worst is over for them, or at least that is what I observe when I visit the shop.

At least I hope that I am correct...
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I work directly for, and very closely with, a billionaire on the Forbes 400 list. The people with real money are deal shopping right now. If they want a RUF, they will buy one without regard to the economy.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RUF has been through the creation of the European Union (EURO) and many economic downturns in his worldwide markets so this is just a bump in the road. A smart business owner closes operations that aren't profitable and lean out the ones that are.
This global toilet flushing will only make the smart and strong better.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I am sure a man like Alois Ruf, with all his ample millions at his disposal, with get through this current economic malaise with no problem.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Glad to see you folks' take on it. I feel a lot better now.

CP
Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I work directly for, and very closely with, a billionaire on the Forbes 400 list. The people with real money are deal shopping right now. If they want a RUF, they will buy one without regard to the economy.
Ruf, Hatteras, Patek-Phillipe, Gulfstream, Perazzi...these brands will all do fine.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm sure they'll be fine. They've been around for a good while and been through economic downturns. Here to stay (hopefully).
Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they will probably be okay, as well. Somewhat of a niche market, but as mentioned they have been around forever, have a very dedicated following and have made some smart moves in the way of diversification.

I wish them and other small tuners (like Sharkwerks) the best!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I visited Ruf in Pfaffenhausen, they had several cars there that are stored there year round for when their foreign owners feel the need for speed and fly in to stretch their cars' legs for a few a days. Those kinds of owners aren't going to be hawking their toys anytime soon. Though I have to wonder how many folks within reasonable driving distance of Ruf take their cars there for regular service. Last time I was there was in 2004 and I think their hourly rate was around 70 Euros, which sounds almost cheap.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 530 Posts

If the economy doesn't get Ruf Dallas, their poor customer service will...I've left them two messages this week trying to buy a set of 18 inch wheels and they still haven't even bothered to contact me!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to agree with Falcondrvr - very esoteric audience, and well heeled at that. Such a small market that the impact is probably felt much different than it is in the mass market.

dave

PS - hey Rick, I'll bet your rich people know my rich people...
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

all the tuners everywhere are feeling it... the high end services are likely to fare better... perhaps one way to look at this type of business is to examine the luxury boat industry... or not.

Quick Reply: Just Wondering: Can Ruf Survive This Economy?