Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1st DE, Any tips or reccomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's Laguna. If there's any other brake @ 2, turn @ 1, mid apex every single turn track in existence, let me know.

I see it's SVR running, and that means you'll likely have the whole instructor crew filled with GGR and Coastal people. Just listen and do what they tell you. You'll be going slower than you do on a spirited drive on a twisty backroad.

That said, Laguna absolutely kills brakes. But since there's no chance you'll be anywhere near the car's limits, as long as you're 1/2+ on pad with reasonably fresh fluid all will be fine. Excellent reminder on tire pressure. I couldn't recommend in any competent way what a street tire needs.

Most of all, understand things are going to go quick. 20-25 minute sessions, likely 2 passing zones (front straight, and 4-5, maybe 5-6 and 6-7......but maybe not for the novices), and (unless they bent over and paid huge $$$) 25 cars on the track will mean a lot to comprehend. Then factor in a two driver car.

And it's probably going to be chilly in the AM. Hopefully not damp to start out, nor foggy to delay things.

You'll wonder why you waited so long to do this!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As an instructor I'd like to embellish you with my brilliance

The way you can make this the most enjoyable experience possible is to put everything out of your mind once in the car and on the track.
If you get a really good instructor, they will teach you everything you'll need to know (at least for the w/e)
Put everything you know about street driving out of your head. Don't over think what you are being told and don't think ahead of what the instructor is teaching. Do ONLY what the instructor tells you and WHEN. Forget about car set up, and mods for going fast, tweaking tire pressures etc. If this is your first attempt at anything like this, a good instructor will teach you from A to Z safely and hopefully in an enjoyable manor.

Remember, 2 hands on the wheel at all times (unless shifting and @ 10 / 2) keep your awareness up, your eyes always moving (know where you are and whats around you). If you begin to spin, look where you want to go and not where you are going. Concrete barriers backed by dirt hills DO NOT MOVE, so don't hit them (ask me how I know). And against previous mentions, I am a believer in "in a spin, plant right foot on the floor and steer it out" and not "both feet in" (but again, do whatever your instructor says)

Good luck, report back, shinny side up and have a great time!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Good advice. Check your ego at the door, listen to your instructor and have fun.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's get this "spinning" thing out of the poor guy's head, OK? First time out, in the extremely unlikely event he even gets the car a bit out of shape it's the instructor's fault. Period.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
993inNC
Race Car

No I know, that wasn't necessarily directed to him at this juncture, but my advice non the less. If ever there were a track to spin Laguna could be it. Its like VIR, lots of elevation change, very technical etc....

He'll be fine. Green students don't usually go fast enough anyway. If he spins and was fast, well bravo to him for getting there so quick I'd be proud to have a student spin if he/she really progressed and was driving hard and just had an oops moment. Might as well get that aspect of the education over early This is supposed to be high performance driver ed, not tip toe around the race track school.....no?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Have fun and drive within your limits, especially if this is your first time. Laguna Seca can bite pretty hard if you go off at certain sections. Enjoy!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Check your ego at the door, listen to your instructor and have fun.
Great advice, Mark.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 PM
deoxford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Relax
2. Relax
3. Just take it all in , there will be more info then you will remember so don't stress
4.Listen ...Really Listen to your instructor

Before the event , get a good tech done and print out a check list with " must have supplies for the track "
And just have a good time , I have more friends from PCA then I ever thought I would .
Some of us have done our first DE's together and been pushing each other since

One more thing

Open a extra saving account .......
Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

1. Look well down the track (look where you want to go).
2. You need to learn how to move slow to go fast (smooth inputs)
3. Have fun
4. Check brake pads prior to event
Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I'll add all the stuff that isn't being said.

1. Bring plenty of water, snacks & gatorade. You sue a lot more energy out there then you would think.
2. Bring a easy up, chair, or other comfort thing
3. If you got driving shoes, also bring running shoes
4. bring basic tools, a towel, blanket to lay on & a air pump
5. Park close to the restrooms, nothing worse then walking a mile to take a pee.
6. Put your helmet in the car the night before, it's very easy to forget.
7. Go to bed early the night before, it's a long day.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Post Go to the Northern California ....

Racing Club web site. They have comprehensive info about how to get ready for a DE...they are running a DE there this Friday; I'll be there...love that track. My car's tranny ate a 3rd gear synchro last time I was there in August, got one day in out of 3 then back on the trailer.

Have fresh brake fluid with the brakes bled, have lots of brake pad.....

If you want to see how the track can be driven, look to U Tube for driving videos. Don't attempt this.

The Cork Screw is an absolute blast, like dropping down in a 7 story elevator. Have fun, stay safe and keep the shinny side up!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Racing Club web site. They have comprehensive info about how to get ready for a DE...they are running a DE there this Friday; I'll be there...love that track. My car's tranny ate a 3rd gear synchro last time I was there in August, got one day in out of 3 then back on the trailer.

Have fresh brake fluid with the brakes bled, have lots of brake pad.....

If you want to see how the track can be driven, look to U Tube for driving videos. Don't attempt this.

The Cork Screw is an absolute blast, like dropping down in a 7 story elevator. Have fun, stay safe and keep the shinny side up!
Hey, Martin!!!!

How are you? I haven't seen you in several years, so I hope you are doing well. Are you still the king of the 993s at the POC? Have a great Holiday season, Martin.

Rich
Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun!
The first few track weekends are really exhausting. Get a good nights sleep before hand.
Pete
Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
bart1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I'll add all the stuff that isn't being said.

1. Bring plenty of water, snacks & gatorade. You sue a lot more energy out there then you would think.
2. Bring a easy up, chair, or other comfort thing
3. If you got driving shoes, also bring running shoes
4. bring basic tools, a towel, blanket to lay on & a air pump
5. Park close to the restrooms, nothing worse then walking a mile to take a pee.
6. Put your helmet in the car the night before, it's very easy to forget.
7. Go to bed early the night before, it's a long day.
Good pointers. That's the kind of stuff on the list I attached earlier.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Safemoney
Racer

Slow in...Fast out

When you're going into the corners...don't let up off the gas...it'll make it!

Have a blast!

Quick Reply: 1st DE, Any tips or reccomendations?