Semi OT: Orange County Traffic School Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi OT: Orange County Traffic School Question

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can tell me more about the 12 hour traffic school option in So Cal/OC, the court websites have very little info on the topic.

Facts:

yes, I'm a jackass for getting a second ticket within the 18 months period which means I'm ineligible for the regular traffic school.

no, I will not be contesting the ticket because I am at fault.

So I would very much appreciate info from anyone who has been to the court and asked/begged for the 12 hour option from the judge and the out come of their court appearance, as well as where to go and what the class is like.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Sorry you won't be fighting it; personally, I think that's a bad idea. I always fight tickets, and am successful about 40% of the time. Not great odds, but better than 0% by not fighting it. At least you're trying for 12 hour traffic school, because if it ends up on your DMV record, it will cost you dearly: an average of a $2400 hike in your insurance premiums over 3 years.

I have gone to 12 hour traffic school many times, and it's a pretty easy affair. All you need to do is appear before the judge and request it. Unless your ticket was for something egregious, like reckless driving or exhibition of speed, it's a no brainer; the judge will grant it 99% of the time. After all, they charge you to go to traffic school, so it's extra revenue for them. And these days, most traffic enforcement is all about revenue, not safety.

A few things though: you must appear before the judge and request it. You cannot just mail it in. That means usually you need to contest the ticket, as that's the only way you'll end up in front of the judge. Also, 12 hour traffic school must be completed in person; you cannot do it online, like 8 hour traffic school. I usually do the Improv Traffic School, only because sometimes the comedians are actually semi-funny.

Something else most people don't know, and the courts never tell you: you can go to traffic school as many times as the judge will allow. In theory, you could go to traffic school, say, 100 times over an 18 month period if the judge grants it.

I had a bad period a while back where I got 4 moving violations in a 6 month period. I beat one in court, and I went to traffic school on the rest of them, and none appeared on my DMV record.

Since you're not contesting the ticket, I won't bother to share on how to get out of tickets, but there are many secrets the courts don't tell you on how to beat tickets that I've learned over the years.

Personally, my feeling is that these days, since most traffic enforcement now focuses more on revenue that safety, the system is there to game you and take your money, so I choose to game the system back.

Good luck with your ticket.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I completed an online traffic school last year. I don't know if the course is different from the one you have to take if you get another ticket within 18months. I don't see why it would.

If it is the same thing, then that website was the cheapest I found: www.gototrafficschool.com

Here is a referral code that will save you $2 off the course: XMA-EM7-C53
I'll get some money too!

Cheers,
Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Im currently going thru a bad patch of tickets as well. First ticket got in 7/09 for 75 in a 65. Im fighting it with trial by written declaration since the court house is 200 miles from the house. Still no verdict, but I sent in my paperwork last month.

2nd ticket just a few weeks ago, 53 in a 40. Wasnt the fastest car in the group, but definitely the fanciest so I got the ticket. I havent gotten the paperwork, but since its local I plan on going in front of the judge.

I heard that online traffic school is only available if you get the ticket close to home. My wife got a ticket in SJ and we are in SD and online wasnt an option 4 years ago. Is that still true?

Im with goofball, the system is there just to collect money. I heard a trick is to overpay the bail by a buck or 2 just to force the court to issue a refund which costs them $$. With my first ticket, Ive sent 2 certified letters and still no verdict 4 months later. I wish everyone exercised the system like this. I want them to work for their money.

BTW, my first ticket for 10 over was $214!! Thank you Kern Co. I guess someone has to pay for the brand new court house with all the mahogany!

Im hoping that school is an option for either one of these tickets.... I really dont want jacked up rates on insurance right now...
Old 11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I had a bad period a while back where I got 4 moving violations in a 6 month period. I beat one in court, and I went to traffic school on the rest of them, and none appeared on my DMV record.
I requested and was granted traffic school for a 2nd violation in 18 months. Still received the point on my record. Needless to say, I felt extremely mislead and was steamed beyond imagination. Wonder of I did soemthing wrong on my end?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I requested and was granted traffic school for a 2nd violation in 18 months. Still received the point on my record. Needless to say, I felt extremely mislead and was steamed beyond imagination. Wonder of I did soemthing wrong on my end?
I thought that was the whole point of going to the 12 hour traffic school, to get the points off. From what I was read, the DMV will record the ticket on the public record as dismissed by traffic school, which the insurance company may or may not see.

Does that mean besides asking for the 12 hour traffic school, I also need to ask the judge to take the points off?

It would suck big time to waste the time and money on traffic school AND end up with the points recorded....

Thanks guys for the inputs so far!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Last I found was that if you got a ticket in OC, no online traffic school. LA was ok. The one I attended in Fullerton was so strict. The instructor actually locked couple of people out when they didn't show up a few minutes after lunch.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Originally Posted by hn
Last I found was that if you got a ticket in OC, no online traffic school. LA was ok. The one I attended in Fullerton was so strict. The instructor actually locked couple of people out when they didn't show up a few minutes after lunch.
The on-line option started this past August for the 8 hour school. But the 12 hour school option is not mentioned on the OC courts website, which is why I am asking the nice folks of Rennlist.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know if they still have them or allow them, but I went to one of the comedy ones a long time ago, sure it cost a little bit more (about $10 or so) but we had a great "instructor". Basically 8 hours of laughing.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the online TS option is a county by county option - and it's the county where you receive the ticket that counts. Some allow it and some don't. Since it appears to be more available now it probably pays to check even if the option wasn't available a year or two ago.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:27 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cy7878
The on-line option started this past August for the 8 hour school. But the 12 hour school option is not mentioned on the OC courts website, which is why I am asking the nice folks of Rennlist.
Nice to know. thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

OK - I hope Im not hijacking this thread but I have a few questions. My situation:
~ ticket 1 speeding - 6 months ago - fighting with TWD since the court house is 200 mi from home. Did not take school.
~ ticket 2 speeding - 1 month ago - court appearance date on 1/11/10. Online school is option since I did not do it on ticket 1. BTW, I requested traffic school option on my TWD for ticket 1.

I believe my options are (A) show up for court date and plead not guilty and beg for fine reduction and traffic school. Pay some amount on the day Im in court - hopefully less. (B) Pay extortion fee to court to "allow" me to attend traffic school on/before 1/11 and mail/present the traffic school completion certificate to court.

Are those the 2 basic options I have now? Im planning to call the court house and ask for extension to drag out the 1/11 date to sometime later into 2010 - legalese for continuance. Maybe the officer will have less chance of showing at a later date?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
cy7878
Instructor

so the outcome in case 1 is still pending? even after 6 months?
Old 12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cy7878
so the outcome in case 1 is still pending? even after 6 months?
Yes - I tried every way imaginable to slow this one down! I requested maximum continuance, corresponded 2x via certified letter for TBD documents and statements. Are you implying that my strategy on ticket #2 should wait until #1 is resolved? If so, you may have a good point. I will request maximum continuance on #2 due to financial hardship to buy some time either way.

I WANT THE COURTS TO WORK FO' THE MONEY!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:45 PM
cy7878
Instructor

So I finally called the OC Court House this AM to ask about the 12 hour school option and was told it is no longer allowed, as of Aug 09. I plan to head down to the night court tonite to watch people fight/beg/whatever about their tickets.

Since I now have nothing to lose by fighting a ticket, I'm going to give it a go.
Moral issues aside, any suggestions on what to do (court procedures, writing a declaration, special hand gestures), who to call (OC traffic/crim attorneys, friends of friends' second cousin) are appreciated.

cy

Quick Reply: Semi OT: Orange County Traffic School Question