Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

BBS E88's - the order is going in! Final input?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by David-993-C2
+ Matt Lane

Hello. I was hoping you could help.

I'm new to the forum and just stumbled across this thread. I appreciate it's from a while back but I'm going through the same thing now and would love to know where you netted out.

I'm toying with the idea of another set of wheels for my narrow bodied 993 C2 - mainly for road, occasionally for track. Worth noting my car has been set up like an RS.

I like the idea of a set of BBS E88 Racing wheels but not sure whether to go for Front 8x 18 et49 / Rear 10x 18 et53 or Front 8x 18 et52 / Rear 10x 18 et65 (which are the same offsets as speed lines & turbo twists for narrow bodies cars)?

Also would love to know what you recommend for tyres. I hear that Toyo R888 tyres are a good for road and track - and presumably 235 front / 265 rear are advisable on 8x 18 / 10x 18?

Also, I've read that these wheels are not road approved and have limited corrosion protection so will need cleaning every time after use - or can they be clear anodised for additional protection?

As you know they cost a bit so just want to get this right before ordering.

Would really appreciate your thoughts and look for discussing further.

Cheers
David
Hi David, glad to help if I can.

For the fronts, if your dilemma is between a 49 and 52 ET on an 8 inch wheel, 49 would sit just 3mm outboard from stock which is hardly noticeable. Can't imagine any issues - sound like a good choice.

With a half inch more total width, my 8.5 ET 57 is 1.35mm outboard and fits with room to spare, but I get some rub on the inside due to it being a full 11.35mm inboard. But that's on an 8.5 rim...

My 10 inch rears were built to ET 63, 2 mm outboard from stock. Could I fit an ET 53 with a further full cm outboard? Don't know.

ET 65 is safe and a no brainer. ET 63 is/was evidently also available with BBS.

Fitment of ET 53 would probably depend on how much negative camber you have and are committed to run prospectively. I think 63/65 is a safe choice.

As for tires... if more street than track, I'd go with a Direzza, R1, Super Sport etc. before getting into an R-comp (and a lousy one at that with eth R888). NT-01 is a good tire, but I wouldn't want to drive much on the street with them.

Best,

Matt
Old 04-03-2015, 05:00 AM
David-993-C2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Matt, really appreciate it.

‘Safe and no brainer’ sounds good to me, :-)

Just so that I'm super clear:

Front 8x 18 et49 sits just 3mm outboard from stock*, so no problems there. Want to avoid any rubbing issues, so happy to pass on 8.5x, even if 8x look a little 'sucked in'. Unless of course there's an 8.5x rim with an offset less than 57 to avoid any inboard contact, but I'm guessing if there is you would have specified?

For rears 10x 18, also sounds sensible. About the offset, I’ll see if et65 is available, same as stock*, if not I'll go for et63, which like you say is only 2 mm outboard from stock, so no problems there also. Great.

(*Speed lines & turbo twists in n/b o/s would be 8ET52 and 10ET65 x18)

And thanks for recommendation on tyres - I’m currently running on Michelin Pilot Super Sport’s and like how they perform so happy to get another set if recommended (since I'll be using E88s mainly for street use, with a track day a few times a year) - would you stick to factory sizes, 18x225 and 18x265? And if so, what profiles do you use / recommend?

And do you have any photos of your 993 on your E88s? Did you go for gold in the end?

Thanks again
David

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi David, glad to help if I can.

For the fronts, if your dilemma is between a 49 and 52 ET on an 8 inch wheel, 49 would sit just 3mm outboard from stock which is hardly noticeable. Can't imagine any issues - sound like a good choice.

With a half inch more total width, my 8.5 ET 57 is 1.35mm outboard and fits with room to spare, but I get some rub on the inside due to it being a full 11.35mm inboard. But that's on an 8.5 rim...

My 10 inch rears were built to ET 63, 2 mm outboard from stock. Could I fit an ET 53 with a further full cm outboard? Don't know.

ET 65 is safe and a no brainer. ET 63 is/was evidently also available with BBS.

Fitment of ET 53 would probably depend on how much negative camber you have and are committed to run prospectively. I think 63/65 is a safe choice.

As for tires... if more street than track, I'd go with a Direzza, R1, Super Sport etc. before getting into an R-comp (and a lousy one at that with eth R888). NT-01 is a good tire, but I wouldn't want to drive much on the street with them.

Best,

Matt

Quick Reply: BBS E88's - the order is going in! Final input?