OT: Panamera vs. Aston Rapide

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:53 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Lightbulb

Following Flying Finn's lead: flattering photos for this discussion, which has been largely based on appearance...

Originally Posted by curve lover
From the discerning journalism of 993C4S.com (PorschePurist):

...flattering angle of a shiny new Porsche family member?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

A lot of emotion here. As far as I am concerned the Aston Vntage is a better looking car than the 911. I own a 911 because there is more to a car than its looks.
The Rapide is stunning, by far the nicest looking 4 door sedan. On the other hand is it a better car? I doubt it and time will tell.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

There were some hilarious descriptions early in this thread, "...dung beetle and Rosie O'Donnell." Priceless.

Cars are very personal, that's why I'm glad there are so many out there. To paraphrase what they say about love (it goes for cars too),

There's one out there for everyone.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:33 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Any tuners making plans for the Aston Martin Rapide?

Originally Posted by motorward.com
Wide body will cost you around 200,000 euros. But that’s just for the body kit!
However, even this extreme makeover fails to turn the Panamera into something visually desirable.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say get a Range Rover Sport.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default 3-minute Rapide testing video

Originally Posted by motorward.com

Here’s the first official promo video released by the company which also showcases some of the tests it’s been through.

The Rapide uses a 6.0 liter V12 engine developing 470 hp which gives the car the ability to hit over 300km/h top speed.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

2Many Cars-- Curious if you were at this SanFran event...
Originally Posted by BrianZuk

Brian records the all new Aston Martin Rapide at the San Francisco Launch Party.

Video shows the exterior, interior, engine, and more of this stunning new sport sedan that is not scheduled to go on sale until late 2010!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvk0l...layer_embedded
Old 07-11-2010, 01:32 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars

I just got a thorough look at the new Aston Rapide in the flesh.
IMHO the Rapide is just a stunning car in the flesh with an interior that feels as much like a sports car as a GT.
Irvine, CA:
Originally Posted by speedAndMotion.blogspot.com

The Cars & Coffee gathering on 6/12/10 was one of the typical summer events – a huge turnout of everything from muscle cars to exotics, from backyard projects to TV show makeovers.
The mix of show cars was certainly eclectic, if a bit biased towards rear-engined models thanks to the huge Porsche Club turnout this week.

The PCA was gathering early before heading down en masse to the nearby Dana Point Concours later in the day. Besides the plethora of 911 models, there were plenty of Boxsters and Caymans, 356 and 914 models and even a rare limited edition Design Series 3 Cayenne ...and then there were the two show-stoppers. Aston Martin brought out their new Rapide 4-door, a west-coast debut.
Last, but certainly not least, there was the 1958 Ferrari 250 GT TdF Scaglietti '1 Louvre' Coupe. A gorgeous rare race car, one of just 84 TdFs ever built, this one is particularly stunning.

^^ Photography © 2010 Frank Filipponio.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:33 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars

I found the Rapide looks great in photos and doesn't disappoint in person.
Irvine, CA's June 19:
Originally Posted by http://speedAndMotion.blogspot.com

BEST CARS AND COFFEE...EVAH!

^^ Photography © 2010 Frank Filipponio.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:46 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, but I will take Maserati Quattroporte over any of the two.
Panamera-Rosie O'donnell's butt is a killer deal for me, other than that I like the car design overall.(Yes! I'm biase!!!)
Rapide-Over priced for being Aston Martin, at that price point buyer will be picking Bentley handsdown, Also from some of the pics, rear seating area seems a bit tight...IMO.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM
fineito
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

To me, the Rapide is the more appealing car aesthetically compared to the Panamera but, as f8vr993 hints at, it comes at a cost to the comfort of some rear seat passengers. I am tall (6'4") and the rear seat of the Rapide is just not a comfortable place for me to be. No problems with the rear seat of the Panamera, however.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

AutoBlog.com's Mar'10 "First Drive: 2010 Aston Martin Rapide is always ready for its close-up."
Originally Posted by AutoBlog

The Aston Martin Rapide is a sports car first, a sedan second.

Even to the uninitiated openly-gazing public, the Rapide is purely an Aston Martin. The family resemblance – to the DB9, DBS and Vantage – is unquestioned thanks to Aston's world-renowned and incredibly sexy, sleek silhouette. The designers have done such a noble job hiding the extra 12 inches of length and two inches of height that only on second glance do most realize that this isn't another coupe. Regardless, in a compliment to the designer, most will still believe the Rapide is a stretched variant of the DB9. In truth, all of the body panels on the sedan are new – none of the sheetmetal is shared.

Originally Posted by AutoBlog

We must mention the stereo as the Aston Martin Rapide has the best mobile audio system we have ever heard – hands down.

Yes, it is standard equipment. Credit the Danish Bang & Olufsen team with engineering a 1,000-watt system that pumps auditory bliss out of 15 strategically-placed speakers throughout the cabin (the system is officially called the "1000 W BeoSound Rapide"). Not only does the custom setup include those two ultra-cool "Acoustic Lenses" that rise like dueling conductors out of the dashboard, but the electronics actually monitor each seatbelt to determine how many occupants are in the vehicle (and where they are sitting) so that the sound may be tailored perfectly within the cabin's acoustic chambers – now, that is cool.

With our iPhone plugged into the system, we had Rush's Tom Sawyer blaring so loudly that you would have sworn Geddy Lee was wailing at us inches away, Alex Lifeson was strumming in the passenger seat and Neil Peart was hanging out in the rear hatch smashing a full complement of drums. Our ears rang for hours that night.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Good article on these 2 in the new Car and Driver
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ra_turbo-video

Just read it at the gym, yesterday. I know this is a revived old thread but the timing was uncanny.

I got in a Panamera at the dealer recently and sat in the back seat. I was blown away. Sitting in the back seat of a Porsche family car... too cool! All the switches and buttons, it looked awesome from the back seat. I hope to own one in 10 years when they're $29k )
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ra_turbo-video

I got in a Panamera at the dealer recently. I hope to own one in 10 years when they're $29k )
Steve-- Might want to set your sites upon the new 6-cylinder version, which might be down to $29k even faster

Thanks for the link to the above video. Mag feature's direct link:
"2010 Aston Martin Rapide vs. 2010 Porsche Panamera Turbo - Comparison Tests:
The Color of Real Money: Maximum speed meets maximum elegance. With seating for four, no waiting
"
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
The Panamera is a better high-performStrekance vehicle.
But the Rapide is a better execution of what a car like this should be—all that cachet, curb appeal, that raw emotional draw.

The Porsche is Strekbetter equipped, more capable, cheaper, and faster.
But the Aston is cooler. And Strekultimately, that’s what this kind of buyer, I imagine, is after.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:43 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"Review: 2010 Aston Martin Rapide is a modern day Femme Fatale"
Calling the all-new Rapide beautiful is akin to saying water is wet. Its allure is so instantly obvious, so fist-bitingly apparent that the point is moot. Still, until the car was parked in my driveway, just how pretty (fine, stunning) wasn't clear. When in traffic other cars look like refrigerators and washing machines. When parked it's like a Rodin on four wheels. The Rapide, then, is the ultimate case, of pictures not doing a car justice. I spent perhaps thirty minutes staring at nothing but the Aston's curvaceous front fender. During that time I had no thoughts of anything else.
Like any great femme fatale worth her ill-gotten diamonds, the Rapide floods your mind with a lake of irrationality. Kiss logic goodbye. And that's okay. As of 2010, no car is as sensual, as erotic, as wordlessly desirable, as flat out cool. Which leads to my final point: Forget about the gumshoes. If James Bond's love interests would stop dying, the Aston Martin Rapide is undoubtedly the car he would use to drop the kids off at soccer practice. Lucky brats.

Quick Reply: OT: Panamera vs. Aston Rapide