Sponsored by:

Window Seals

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Window Seals

When changing rear quarter window seals and rear window seal purely for cosmetic reasons, 1. how hard are they to switch out? and 2. do you need to replace the inner and outer seals on the rear window?

Or does the rear window still stay in place and you would simply replace the outer seal? Same for the front windshield, can you replace just the outer seal without screwing up the placement/fitment of the windshield?

TIA
Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 PM
SinVancouver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oooh.. good question.. I want to know as well
Old 11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
rol607
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For the front and rear window, the outer seal (cosmetic part you see) can be removed without removing the glass. The cross section of the seal is shaped like a "T" that has a barb at the bottom of it. That barb fits into a plastic channel that is attached to the glass when the glass is made. If you are removing an old seal from old glass, be careful because those pieces (the rubber seal and the plastic) will be brittle and could crack or break off. Just go slow. I'm not sure how the rear quarter window seals work. I'd be interested to find out.
John
Old 11-16-2009, 11:42 AM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jhummel68
For the front and rear window, the outer seal (cosmetic part you see) can be removed without removing the glass. The cross section of the seal is shaped like a "T" that has a barb at the bottom of it. That barb fits into a plastic channel that is attached to the glass when the glass is made. If you are removing an old seal from old glass, be careful because those pieces (the rubber seal and the plastic) will be brittle and could crack or break off. Just go slow. I'm not sure how the rear quarter window seals work. I'd be interested to find out.
John

Thanks John. Maybe someone can let us know about the rear quarter windows?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:51 AM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

IIRC the quarter window is a single seal and the whole window comes out. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but hope this link helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...quarter+window

Last edited by rsr91128; 11-16-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jhummel68
If you are removing an old seal from old glass, be careful because those pieces (the rubber seal and the plastic) will be brittle and could crack or break off.
John
I read recently that the possibility of damage to the inner seal/channel and future leaking under the outer seal causing rust problems is high if any damage occurs. If the plastic is part of the glass, does that mean if it's damaged, the entire window needs to be replaced?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:21 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Had the car in for service today and they replaced the front outer seal of the windshield with no problem.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:22 AM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPP
I read recently that the possibility of damage to the inner seal/channel and future leaking under the outer seal causing rust problems is high if any damage occurs. If the plastic is part of the glass, does that mean if it's damaged, the entire window needs to be replaced?
If there is a small piece of plastic that breaks off I'm guessing you would be OK as long as the seal remains in position. This seal is more cosmetic than water proof. It will keep some water out of that area but it is not the primary seal to keep water out of the inside of the car. The "glue" is what really seals the glass and keeps the water from getting in the car. My rear glass is original from the factory and the outer seal does allow water under it but it doesn't get in the car. Every time I wash the car I lift the bottom corners of the seal (front and rear glass) and hold a towel there to wick the water out. I also use a popsicle stick to hold the seal off the paint so any moisture will dry. So far zero rust but I am keeping an eye on it.
John

Quick Reply: Window Seals