993 Forum 1995-1998

The Making of My Blue Monster ** Update Oct 26 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news: the blue monster will be ready to picked up tomorrow afternoon

Bad news: it SNOWED here yesterday, and unless the roads are dry by tomorrow afternoon, I am contemplating to wait another day
Old 12-06-2009, 10:41 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Dam - reading this thread on the edge of my seat.
You got any dyno figures man ?
So very interested in the difference in power with the turbos.
Car looks nice too.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Dam - reading this thread on the edge of my seat.
You got any dyno figures man ?
So very interested in the difference in power with the turbos.
Car looks nice too.
Yes, car looks great. The tail works better on a NB with a dark color, I think. I've heard folks say this standard kit is good for 400+ hp/380lbs torque but not sure where the measurement is taken. Is there a kit that mounts the intercooler someplace else lower to eliminate the need for a turbo tail? There's an RL'r here from the Netherlands, I think, with a dark blue Targa that has a Turbo setup that mounted the intercooler aft of the engine somehow. Must be a tight fit. I wonder if it's the same size/capacity/functionality as the top mount setup. Anyone know?

Last edited by JPP; 12-06-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:41 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

If I added a supercharger to the car, I would not require a wing of any kind. I would then have a perfect "sleeper" ( I would have changed the lic plate to read "zzzz" )

When I did my research about adding power "TheOtherEric" provided a lot of research about Supercharger vs Turbo. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23616 I decided to go ahead with the turbo solution.

Unfortunately, because the intercooler is such an integral part of the turbo set up, I had no other choice but to add the turbo wing.

Also, the protomotive turbo kit set-up is different than "poob0yw's" set up https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23616 which has his intercoolers where the muffler cans are; the same location where Promotive has its turbos.

I still haven't seen the OEM turbo wing on a NB in person, but I hope its not too "bling." I liked "Arena993" turbo wing on his rivi blue cab (I don't think he has it anymore, which worries me ) https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=23616

I will also find a place where I can dyno the car to be sure what the final HP this kit produces and report back.

But for now, I can't wait just to get my beast back in the cage, it has been too long.

Last edited by tjangi; 12-06-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Some think the turbo wing is too much for a NB car, but in your instance it is necessary to house the intercooler. So there is no "bling factor"....it's totally functional. I can't wait to see the hp numbers!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FisterD
Some think the turbo wing is too much for a NB car, but in your instance it is necessary to house the intercooler. So there is no "bling factor"....it's totally functional. I can't wait to see the hp numbers!
I agree, form follows function and on midnight blue, the tail is totally understated. The Targa I mentioned is owned by Rl'r 'jorl' from Norway. His system was done by Lotec in Germany. It has a water cooled intercooler system with a small radiator mounted behind the front bumper pumping water to a small intercooler attached to the engine fan shroud and tucked aft of the engine.

You can just see the brackets and intercooler at the bottom edge of the photo.
Here's the company that makes the kits:
http://www.t-t-p.de/english/964-993.php
It would be interesting to see what kinds of impact the different designs have on the life/durability/power of the engine and turbo system. Does Porsche use water cooled intercoolers in the 996/997 turbo design?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:41 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

How did I miss this? AWESOME! Can't wait to hear your driving impressions. And, of course, MORE PICS!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

So I picked up the monster today. First impressions:

1. The turbos are doing their job. The power is definitely noticeable. I have not gone all out yet, but it you can feel the boost kick in ard 4 k upwards. I can pretty much reach from say 50 mph to 100 mph in a matter of a few seconds, its that powerful. I am also still getting used to the new noises that is being created by the turbo and waste gates. It sounds like having orchestra instruments playing in the back.

2. The WEVO (or other brands) motor mounts are a must if you have a SSK and GR installed IMHO. The shifting becomes 1,000x better. The downside of it, the rear rattles and shakes a bit more, but heck, this is a beast not a kitty cat

3. The H+R super cup coilovers with the thicker H+R sways (24 and 26 mm) are a significant improvement over the MO30s. The car handles better and rides softer than on the HD setup.

4. The exhaust sounds great, it is very similar to the Fister stage II growl. I was very worried for not having the exhaust sound that I have gotten accustomed to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28l_X6dYs4

5. The turbo wing doesn't look as bad on a NB as I initially thought. I like it.

6. The three spoke steering wheel is an improvement of the four spoke stock wheel. It provides a nicer driving experience.

In summary, I am very satisfied with the turbo upgrade and the additional mods. It is just AWESOME!!!
Attached Images       

Last edited by tjangi; 12-08-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Car looks awesome, Tjangi. Can't wait to read more driving reports. From the sounds of the weather headed your way, winter is definitely here, so be careful with all that torque ...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

While I was there I saw this super wide Pcar (it WAS a 1995 993 NB) with a rear width of 3.5 inches wider than the WB panels. It has a 12 inch wide rim with room for even wider rims. It is giving me ideas that I really don't need at the moment (or loooong time) Must stay away from these shops...
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice - Blue beast is sweet.
Wevo's are on my list - did you get black or blue's ?

So up until 4k rpm the car drives exactly the same hey. Is the increase in power worth the cost ? How much faster would you say the car is on initial feel ?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Congrats bro! I knew it would happen today because of our conversation on Saturday. Now let's move on to the RS door panels and the recaros
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Car looks awesome, Tjangi. Can't wait to read more driving reports. From the sounds of the weather headed your way, winter is definitely here, so be careful with all that torque ...
Tks. I know, that is the downside of living on this side of the country

Wevo's are on my list - did you get black or blue's ?
Black as they are a touch softer than the Blues

So up until 4k rpm the car drives exactly the same hey. Is the increase in power worth the cost ? How much faster would you say the car is on initial feel ?
Yes, the car is NA until the Turbos kick in. So I could cruise without the Turbos ever kicking in. The car is definitely more responsive. There is a tiny little lag when you hit the gas pedal, until the Turbos kick in, and then you take off. Is the power worth the cost? For me it was.

RS door panels and the recaros
It never ends does it???
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Gappy - the car looks great! It was a pleasure to speak to you today and talk shop. Can't wait to see it in person once the winter is over and roads clean up. Talk to you soon.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great project! I love the look of the wing/tail. The car has a nice stance and does not look "over done".

Quick Reply: The Making of My Blue Monster ** Update Oct 26 2010