Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sell the '97 C4S Aerokit "fixer"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:33 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sell the '97 C4S Aerokit "fixer"?

Instead of piling on this last thread I saw with the guy (and others) looking for the driver level car, I thought I'd throw this up on a separate thread.

Going to kind of be a stream of consciousness thing here, so bear with me.

'97 C4S with factory aerokit, Arctic Silver/Chestnut Brown. Pretty much every option--sport seats, AL/carbon shifter/handbrake, AL dials, digital sound, etc etc. Stickered for about $92K.

125K miles with 3 owners. Was driven from factory new 15K mi/yr by two owners until I found it on a used car lot in San Rafael with 99K on it. EVERY receipt from day one. 100% original paint as far as I can tell. Delivered locally, and always been a Bay Area car. Top end at Sonnen Porsche @ 75K from failed SAI. (I believe it was one of the first cars to run into this circa 2001, and Porsche comp'd the repair 50%.) Clutch was done at/about the same time (have to check). Really hasn't ever needed much in the way of repairs.

Only things I've done since I bought it 9/04 is drive it. Change the oil a couple of times, service the A/C, and install PSS-9's last January.

So, why sell? Honestly, the car has deteriorated cosmetically to the point I want to address it. Quit using it as a backup to the backup to the backup track car. Needs the nose painted. Scratch on the tail, scratch on the driver's door (both happening the same weekend putting it in/out of the trailer!). Needs tires--just had a blowout running over something on the freeway, so after throwing on the spare I basically drove it back home and stuck it in the backyard. Needs pads/rotors. Time for a 30K service.

All in all, it's at the cusp of "spend $5K on it and make it a nice street car again" or move it along to someone who wants a low price of entry and can take care of it himself. Then I take the proceeds of this plus moving along the RS America and end up with something "modern" like a 997 cab that we can use for a street cruiser. (No worries about me abandoning air cooleds, as I'll likely take the yellow car and the '73 racer to the grave.....probably because I'll kill myself IN one of them at the track.)

If you've gotten this far, you're asking yourself "what's the price?" OK, I'll put it at $32K as-is. Better, lower mileage cars out there for less/same money once this car is "fixed"? Probably. But I can assure a buyer he'll know what he's getting in this car.

Pictures? Sure, I can post some, but here's where I'll get funny. I absolutely will NOT consider selling this car to anyone who does not personally inspect it. I want to avoid even the slightest hint of buyer's remorse. Car is in Oakland in my back yard. It's drivable; just need to put a 996 hollow spoke on that has a 295 tire.

So..............bring the comments on! I think everyone here knows I've got a thick skin, and have been around these cars over 2/3 of my life. There isn't much I haven't seen or heard.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 197 Posts

Ken, based on your description I don't see a $32K car. Here's why:

A guy looking for a stock C4S will have to dump another 5K into it as you said. And for $37K there are a lot of turn-key cars.

A guy looking for a track car will not be tempted since the entry price is pretty high, considering all the other work that needs to be done. And he probably wouldn't start with a C4S base to begin with.

So my advice, if you really want to sell the car is, pretty it up and list it for more.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilko
Ken, based on your description I don't see a $32K car. Here's why:

A guy looking for a stock C4S will have to dump another 5K into it as you said. And for $37K there are a lot of turn-key cars.

A guy looking for a track car will not be tempted since the entry price is pretty high, considering all the other work that needs to be done. And he probably wouldn't start with a C4S base to begin with.

So my advice, if you really want to sell the car is, pretty it up and list it for more.
+1. I don't see a $32K car. I like an original car with original condition. If it had 125K miles and it is in perfect condition, then I can overlook the high mileage. But with other issues, scratches, etc... I think a $25-$27K is more realistic. Just my opinion...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Given your description I would agree with previous posts - here in D.C. metro area the car might bring $22K at most.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

I hear you guys, and that's fine. If anyone can document the sale of any widebody sub-$30K, please let me know. I'm curious to see what the pricing floor is, and if anyone can provide hard, factual documentation. I can tell you out here I have not ever, ever, ever, ever, ever seen a widebody with a clean title have an asking price under $30K. Ever. Now that's not a sales price.......

I've replied and sent pictures to the 4 who have requested further info so far. If nothing happens, it's really no big deal. Once I told my wife I posted this, she kinda started also wondering what $20+K more for a newer car was really going to get us.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I hear you guys, and that's fine. If anyone can document the sale of any widebody sub-$30K, please let me know. ...

I have to agree with the above comments... $22k sounds about right.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:34 AM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple of people here have purchased mid-mileage C4s's with no issues for $29k, $30k, and $32k ... I would love to say who... and I know it is easy to just "say this" blankly... but if they are reading this post, I would ask them to confirm... or at the very least, pm Ken directly

thanks
Old 11-12-2009, 02:53 AM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you guys, and that's fine. If anyone can document the sale of any widebody sub-$30K, please let me know. I'm curious to see what the pricing floor is, and if anyone can provide hard, factual documentation. I can tell you out here I have not ever, ever, ever, ever, ever seen a widebody with a clean title have an asking price under $30K. Ever. Now that's not a sales price.......

I've replied and sent pictures to the 4 who have requested further info so far. If nothing happens, it's really no big deal. Once I told my wife I posted this, she kinda started also wondering what $20+K more for a newer car was really going to get us.
I brought my 1996 C4S w/88K miles from Kuni BMW in Oregon under 30K about 6 months ago. Close to perfect condition. Interior looks like new. Clean title. I sold it about 2 months ago. Now looking for a lower mileage C2S or C4S with an aerokit and sport seats.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,987 Likes on 1,772 Posts

Hey Ken, I won't provide an opinion but will give you some food for thought:

I bought a 96 C4S with 80k mi, less than 10k on top-end, clutch and service and a 1" stack of bills from the PO for $32k in the spring of 2007 when prices were still flying high. Chris (DACH, 993inNC) paid $27k for his 93k mi C4S in 2004. There's also a recent member who paid $39k for a C4S with 25k mi.

More pricing info: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...y-pinslys.html

If you don't need to sell it now, have you thought about selling it next spring when it can command better value?

Last edited by Wilder; 11-12-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 213 Posts

EVERY receipt from day one. 100% original paint as far as I can tell. Delivered locally, and always been a Bay Area car. Top end at Sonnen Porsche @ 75K from failed SAI. (I believe it was one of the first cars to run into this circa 2001, and Porsche comp'd the repair 50%.) Clutch was done at/about the same time (have to check). Really hasn't ever needed much in the way of repairs.

All in all, it's at the cusp of "spend $5K on it and make it a nice street car again" .
^^^^
Old 11-12-2009, 12:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I purchased my C4S for a little over $30K. It has lots of goodies - LWF, PSS9, plus a ton of cosmetic upgrades - Euro bumpers, 996 3-spoke steering wheel, etc, etc. Leak down was great. I have to take care of a couple of maintenance items and a chipped Turbo S front lip.

Food for thought: http://www.intlcarcenter.com/web/141...1%20Carrera-4S

I passed on this car at $28,000. It sold at near that mark 2 days later.

Again, if you want to maximize your profit, fix it up and offer it at $37K. There is definitely a market for your car, just not in its current state.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Know what the ultimate result is after putting Karen's butt in the seat of a 997? What, exactly, does an extra $20K+ get us? So that pretty much settles things.

But in closing, consider: 1. I never said the selling price would be $32K (if you search some threads, you'll see I valued the car at $25-27K), and 2. I have not seen a Bay Area widebody sell for less than $30K (not that one hasn't, just that I have not heard of one and personally I don't care what happens in flyover country or the other coast......we don't have winter here and I know what my low mileage '92 C4 coming out of NY looked like underneath at 6 years old).
Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

You asked:
If anyone can document the sale of any widebody sub-$30K, please let me know.
I did. You can rationalize it any way you want. If I were you I'd just keep the car. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Sell the '97 C4S Aerokit "fixer"?