Sponsored by:

Left locking motor on cab top won't latch

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left locking motor on cab top won't latch

When I raise the top and the two locking motors make contact with the windsheild frame, the left motor just stops...it won't rotate and catch. The right one has been stripped since I have had the car (old recall item), but now the left one is inop completely. Any thoughts?
brandon
Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A) Did you have the locking motor recall done to both motors?
B) Not sure if the fuse is L/R specific?
C) Toast?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just had this same problem. It was the microswitch. I didn't do the fix so I can't get much more technical than this but if you have questions, ask Robin.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Andre'
Instructor

Having a similiar problem - mine (left also) won't unlock! Before I had issues with the entire top just completely dying while opening/closing, and the locking motors didn't engage at all. Porsche says the roof needs to open and close in a single pass - I used to stop the roof when opening right in the middle to put a towel on the plastic rear window to prevent scratches (just got a new convertible top). But I'm still having issues, and Porsche can't find, or is unable to find anything that's wrong....

Seems like the older these cars get the more issues I'm having with the top!

Regards, Andre'
Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM
chet
Instructor

There seem to be a lot of things that can go wrong. I'm not sure what the logic path inside the controller is, but I know that occasionally nothing will happen when I try to latch the top, but if I press the button the other way to unlatch and then try to latch again it will work.

If nothing at all is happening, it can also be cold solder joints in the controller, or the sensor on the e-brake handle that tells the system whether you have the e-brake engaged.

There is a switch on each side that tells the system when the top is in contact with the windshield. I don't know whether those are supposed to work individually or as a unit. It doesn't seem logical that the system would let either side latch down if both sides aren't in contact, but I don't know. If the right side is spinning and the left isn't, it may be that the left side switch isn't engaged, or maybe the switch is broken.

If you have a multi-meter, you can take off the cover over the latching motors and test the electrical connections to try and track down the problem.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

The microswitch I was referring to is in the top on each side. They do act independently. I had one side that wasn't working that was replaced. Using a multi-meter is the way to go. I wasn't the one who did the work but the person who did diagnosed the problem that way.

Quick Reply: Left locking motor on cab top won't latch