Sponsored by:

Colgan bra install problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Colgan bra install problem

I picked up a Colgan bra for my WB from a someone who had a 993tt. I can not close my trunk lid with bra installed. There are two 6" tube shaped pieces sewn in that must fit between the frame and the main rubber lid seal and this is what is causing the problem. I am wandering if my trunk closure is too tight to begin with . Is there an adjustment to the compression of the trunk lid in the lock mechanism?
Old 11-06-2009, 05:09 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I have a 'custom colgan bra' too.
Those two 'tubes' are connected to the LOWER part of the bra - i.e. the piece that fits over the bumper/front quarter panels.
If you can't close your hood, coz "they're in the way" -- then go down to the front wheel-wells and UN-CLIP those 'bendable' c-shaped pieces so that the bra-fabric is now 'free and flapping' where it lies just in front of your front tires.
With me?
OK, now pull the bra-fabric WAY over the front quarter panels - i.e. IN towards the trunk - so that those 'tubes' can now lie DEEP into the grooves (which is actually a water channel) beside the rubber trunk gasket.
See if you can close the trunk/hood -- you SHOULD!
If you can (and you should) then simply go back to the front of both front wheel-wells and RE-secure those clips.
Remember, you do ONE CLIP ON ONE SIDE at a time. Yes, that means you do the top on the left-wheel and then walk around and do the top one of the right wheel, then walk back around to the left wheel and do the 2nd. (middle) clip, then walk around to the right wheel and do its second (middle) clip, then walk back to the left wheel and secure its 3rd. (lowest) clip then walk around to the right wheel and (finally) secure its 3rd. and lowest clip.
You should NOW have the lower part of the bra pretty damn tight against the front of your car.
Don't forget to get down on your knees - by the front lic. plate, and secure that 'elastic bit' - which is attached to the 'mesh'. It terminates in a little black plastic 'hook' which you pull towards the rear of the car and into a 'special' cut-out -- don't worry you'll find it -- you may need a flashlight tho' coz the hole is 'small'.
The front of our cars are rock-magnets - coz they're so low. You'll find that your Colgan Bra will save your bacon on many 'drives'. Been there done that.
After you go out for a drive -- stop the car and check for 'tightness'. You may find that you'll need to re-position and 'press-again' on those front wheel-well securing points. This is normal.
I've driven in the rain with my bra on (never thought I'd type THAT!) and it's no biggie. If you drive thru' a friggin' deluge then, when you get home, do take it off so that it can dry out.
I personally put a wallop of good carnauba wax on the front of the car *prior* to putting on the separate hood and front-bumper parts - so that the paint is well protected. I've found that a 'line of dust' tends to accumulate underneath the felt on the top-part -- just north of the hood-badge -- so slide a microfiber cloth under there every so often just to keep it 'clean'. The construction and attention to detail (esp. the 'felt') shows that a lot of thought was put into these bras. I've been using mine, now, for geez, 2+ years and have had NO scratches or 'lines'. Keep the bra 'tight' on the car (and I mean tight!) and you'll minimize any 'paint scratching problems'.
Gerry
Old 11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
got*ki
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also the bras normally come with a simple washer to add to the trunk latch to allow for adjustment clearance.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g_murray
Hi,
I have a 'custom colgan bra' too.
Those two 'tubes' are connected to the LOWER part of the bra - i.e. the piece that fits over the bumper/front quarter panels.
If you can't close your hood, coz "they're in the way" -- then go down to the front wheel-wells and UN-CLIP those 'bendable' c-shaped pieces so that the bra-fabric is now 'free and flapping' where it lies just in front of your front tires.
With me?
OK, now pull the bra-fabric WAY over the front quarter panels - i.e. IN towards the trunk - so that those 'tubes' can now lie DEEP into the grooves (which is actually a water channel) beside the rubber trunk gasket.
See if you can close the trunk/hood -- you SHOULD!
If you can (and you should) then simply go back to the front of both front wheel-wells and RE-secure those clips.
Remember, you do ONE CLIP ON ONE SIDE at a time. Yes, that means you do the top on the left-wheel and then walk around and do the top one of the right wheel, then walk back around to the left wheel and do the 2nd. (middle) clip, then walk around to the right wheel and do its second (middle) clip, then walk back to the left wheel and secure its 3rd. (lowest) clip then walk around to the right wheel and (finally) secure its 3rd. and lowest clip.
You should NOW have the lower part of the bra pretty damn tight against the front of your car.
Don't forget to get down on your knees - by the front lic. plate, and secure that 'elastic bit' - which is attached to the 'mesh'. It terminates in a little black plastic 'hook' which you pull towards the rear of the car and into a 'special' cut-out -- don't worry you'll find it -- you may need a flashlight tho' coz the hole is 'small'.
The front of our cars are rock-magnets - coz they're so low. You'll find that your Colgan Bra will save your bacon on many 'drives'. Been there done that.
After you go out for a drive -- stop the car and check for 'tightness'. You may find that you'll need to re-position and 'press-again' on those front wheel-well securing points. This is normal.
I've driven in the rain with my bra on (never thought I'd type THAT!) and it's no biggie. If you drive thru' a friggin' deluge then, when you get home, do take it off so that it can dry out.
I personally put a wallop of good carnauba wax on the front of the car *prior* to putting on the separate hood and front-bumper parts - so that the paint is well protected. I've found that a 'line of dust' tends to accumulate underneath the felt on the top-part -- just north of the hood-badge -- so slide a microfiber cloth under there every so often just to keep it 'clean'. The construction and attention to detail (esp. the 'felt') shows that a lot of thought was put into these bras. I've been using mine, now, for geez, 2+ years and have had NO scratches or 'lines'. Keep the bra 'tight' on the car (and I mean tight!) and you'll minimize any 'paint scratching problems'.
Gerry
Thanks again Gerry. I figured it all out. I had to adjust the locking mechanism to raise the hood a bit and your instructions were very helpful.
BTW, I thought you were getting out of the 993??
Cheers,
Greg
Old 11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Heyo,
Glad to hear you got it worked out. I didn't have to adjust the locking mechanism on mine - but, by Jebus, it DID require a very FORCEFUL push down (on the hood) to get it to close and close properly. You can't be wimpy - you just have to be 'decisive' and push/press down on the hood to get it latch/close. A TIGHT bra is a bra that will behave like a second skin and protect the front of the car and NOT flap about when you are 'at speed'.
If you're the type who (frequently) 'grinds' the bottom front of your car (on kerbs or whatever) then that 'bungee' bit, that secures the mesh part to the bottom-front of the car, will NOT last long.
If you 'dress' the colgan bra - e.g. use a very good vinyl product (Meguairs/Mothers etc.) then it will actually become 'shiny' - though with a white car you might want to let it stay 'matt'. Your call. Personally I use 303 aerospace protectant on mine coz it makes it 'shiny' and also is a good UV protectant too.
Me ...getting out of the 993 ? ....naaaaah, u must be mixing me up with someone else. I waited 47 years for this car (in this condition) to come onto my radar screen - - so trust me -- they're gonna bury me in it! (and hopefully I'll live way into my 90's!)
Latah,
G.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g_murray
I waited 47 years for this car (in this condition) to come onto my radar screen - - so trust me -- they're gonna bury me in it! (and hopefully I'll live way into my 90's!)
Latah,
G.
Not a good idea to leave that bra on the car for more than a few weeks at a time. If you've got a good finish on the 993 and plan to keep it, spring for the 3M or equivalent shield. It's very good - and it's permanent protection for the car. Hood, headlights, rear view mirrors, the whole deal. Get a professional to install it. You won't look back.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dan in Florida
Not a good idea to leave that bra on the car for more than a few weeks at a time. If you've got a good finish on the 993 and plan to keep it, spring for the 3M or equivalent shield. It's very good - and it's permanent protection for the car. Hood, headlights, rear view mirrors, the whole deal. Get a professional to install it. You won't look back.

I know that the clear bra's are the way to go now, and it doesn't interrupt the design of the car, but the Colgan bra was also a nostalgic thing for me. This was the only thing in town before the 993 hit the scene. Yes also know that there were clear bra's in 1997 however they weren't all what they are now. So I decided to go retro and I think it looks cool on White. I called Colgan and they are sending me the mirror covers as well. There is something sexy about not exposing everything that is sweet and round.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Hi Dan,
I agree -- and, trust me, when I know the car is gonna be 'sitting' for an extended period - I take the whole kit-n-kaboodle off so as to 'air it out' and let the paint 'breathe'. Yes, it's a "piece-of-work" putting it back on again (esp. single person) - but I prefer to do that that be Lazy-Boy and just let it sit in the garage with a muzzle. :-)
...plus it gives u an opportunity to vacuum the felt-inside of the bra and also dust off the front bumper/hood area and even put yet another wallop of protective wax all over the 'nose' ...for the NEXT time you put it (the bra) on.
Gerry
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a colgan bra on the way, I got a set of instructions from Colgan, so I am SO looking forward to this (track event this weekend).
Is it necessary to remove the plastic liner piece (I don't know how else to describe it) that covers the latch mechanism in order to adjust the mechanism to raise it to give the hood more room to close once I have the bra in place ?
I'm fairly clear on all the steps to install it from reading the instructions, but the latch mechanism doesn't look accessible to me (at least not as accessible as the one on the 911SC I had).

THANKS in advance
Old 11-08-2010, 11:40 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
I have a colgan bra on the way, I got a set of instructions from Colgan, so I am SO looking forward to this (track event this weekend).
Is it necessary to remove the plastic liner piece (I don't know how else to describe it) that covers the latch mechanism in order to adjust the mechanism to raise it to give the hood more room to close once I have the bra in place ?
I'm fairly clear on all the steps to install it from reading the instructions, but the latch mechanism doesn't look accessible to me (at least not as accessible as the one on the 911SC I had).

THANKS in advance
David if I can recall the bra goes under the hood and had a cut out for the hood latch, I cant remeber exactly but when I layed it all out it looked pretty self explanatory as to where everything would clip on to. Maybe another set of hands would be helpful but from the look of it Colgan really made a good product for the 993 it literally covers the entire front end only the headlights are exposed.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Any pics?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

ok, I give, I have everything done except for the little bungee under the fender piece, I cannot find the tiny hole where the hook goes... maybe I should just cut the bungee part off ?

by the way, I had some velcro strips to glue to the trunk inside sheet metal for the velcro pieces that attach to the fender piece behind the headlights (and go between the sheetmetal and the trunk liner rubber strip, so it's on tight....

I managed to get the trunk lid shut with a firm push but I have NO clue how to adjust the latch mechanism. Did a earlier post say there are washers that would go on the trunk lid part to bring the trunk part of the latch mechanism lower (allow the trunk lid to be open just a bit more with bra on ?)

There are no washers with this bra (Chris it came today, you had mentioned a trunk fender cover ?
Check is on the way to you
Old 11-09-2010, 09:08 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

ok, I give, I have everything done except for the little bungee under the fender piece, I cannot find the tiny hole where the hook goes... maybe I should just cut the bungee part off ?

by the way, I had some velcro strips to glue to the trunk inside sheet metal for the velcro pieces that attach to the fender piece behind the headlights (and go between the sheetmetal and the trunk liner rubber strip, so it's on tight....

I managed to get the trunk lid shut with a firm push but I have NO clue how to adjust the latch mechanism. Did a earlier post say there are washers that would go on the trunk lid part to bring the trunk part of the latch mechanism lower (allow the trunk lid to be open just a bit more with bra on ?)

There are no washers with this bra (Chris it came today, you had mentioned a trunk fender cover ?
Check is on the way to you
Maybe that loose piece was part of the front bra? Its squarish in shape with two straps on it. I thought it was for the engine lid once I looked at it but maybe it was for the front. I never even opened that package up so I'm not familiar with that bra at all. Sorry if I mislead you. I thought it was a separate piece.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Maybe that loose piece was part of the front bra? Its squarish in shape with two straps on it. I thought it was for the engine lid once I looked at it but maybe it was for the front. I never even opened that package up so I'm not familiar with that bra at all. Sorry if I mislead you. I thought it was a separate piece.
No problem at all, the squarish piece with the two straps are for the hood (trunk lid). the bigger pain in the butt piece is for the fender, but THANK YOU, it's nice to have a bag to put it all in.

So now I actually have two 2-piece bras, but that's just fine. I'll keep the extra, and try to get another of the fabric nylon/velcro attachment pieces made. buying yours allowed me to get the thing ready for the track, I taped the spots on the fender and trunklid where the trailing edge of the bra will lie, and taped around the front wheelwells. Tomorrow night I'll tape the front of the rear fenders and around the rear wheel wells.

Now if I can just figure out where the hook on the bungee on bottom center goes...
Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

No problem at all, the squarish piece with the two straps are for the hood (trunk lid). the bigger pain in the butt piece is for the fender, but THANK YOU, it's nice to have a bag to put it all in.

So now I actually have two 2-piece bras, but that's just fine. I'll keep the extra, and try to get another of the fabric nylon/velcro attachment pieces made. buying yours allowed me to get the thing ready for the track, I taped the spots on the fender and trunklid where the trailing edge of the bra will lie, and taped around the front wheelwells. Tomorrow night I'll tape the front of the rear fenders and around the rear wheel wells.

Now if I can just figure out where the hook on the bungee on bottom center goes...
Dave if it's not the one you were looking for don't feel the need to have to pay for it. I totally understand. Just write the check out for the shipping amount. I'd rather you not have to pay for it if it wasn't what you were looking for. Just keep it and use it for whatever you can get out of it.
If you still have to tape everything up thats no fun.

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 11-09-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: addendum

Quick Reply: Colgan bra install problem