Sponsored by:

tapping noise under load around 3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tapping noise under load around 3000 rpm

OK, so here is the best way for me to describe the sound. It is a very faint tapping sound around 2800 to 3300 rpm. I can only hear it when the car is under a little load. Above 3300rpm I can no longer hear it over the exhaust. I was thinking it may be a lifter but at idle my car does not have that much clatter, the right side is slightly louder.

After putting on my x-pipe I do have a very small exhaust leak and I do not run my engine tray

Thanks for any ideas or letting me know that I am nuts and everyone's 993 sounds the same.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I think an exhaust leak can cause the noise you describe.

When I had a lifter go out it was audable at idle and just got louder the higher rpms were. Had nothing to do with load on my car.

My axle when the CV went out makes a poping noise or clacking noise that gets louder the higher rpms and is very load dependant. Sounds totally different though.

Get someone in your car and jack up the back or put on lift. have them rev it up while you are listening and then apply the parking break slowly to add load to the motor and see where its comming from.

If it is a lifter then you can narrow down which one using a long screwdriver or a stethascope and see which cyllinder is louder and top/ intake or bottom exhaust lifter.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
I think an exhaust leak can cause the noise you describe.
+1

Andreas
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

ticking or tapping? If its high pitch "tick", exhaust makes sense... If its a lower metallic "tap" it could be a rod bearing (although I think that is pretty uncommon in these cars) and may warrant getting an expert to take a listen before further damage is done.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I hope it is not rod knock I think if it was it would be much louder, I can barely hear it.

Thanks again.
dto

Originally Posted by jscott82
ticking or tapping? If its high pitch "tick", exhaust makes sense... If its a lower metallic "tap" it could be a rod bearing (although I think that is pretty uncommon in these cars) and may warrant getting an expert to take a listen before further damage is done.

Quick Reply: tapping noise under load around 3000 rpm