Sponsored by:

Are we Porsche snobs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...some real tossers...993MAN
Perhaps it's not possible to generalize, but would you get the same attitudes in a major centre, like Wellington, or Auckland?
Old 10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People who know me, know that I replaced my passion for bikes with my 993 (like you, Rinty) and that I couldn't afford both. Jeeze, Im still making big payments on it. They are all happy for me.
People "on the street" think I am rich when they see me in the P-car. But then they see me get out in jeans, old tennis shoes and a tee shirt and suddenly I'm ok.
Most folks here in Portland could care less about a nice sports car so I don't get many looks, except the 12-17 year olds, girls included.
I must say, I REALLY hate it when someone refers to my car as a chick magnet!
Also, I do wear my PORSCHE hat often and I wear it proudly.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Perhaps it's not possible to generalize, but would you get the same attitudes in a major centre, like Wellington, or Auckland?
Probably not as bad, but it's still not great. New Zealanders are the inventors of the tall poppy syndrome. You are NOT allowed to do well here generally speaking. So many people just want to have a go for some reason.
I feel really sorry for Ferrari owners. No, not when it comes to a service cost, thats there own fault, but imagine trying to leave one of those in the street somewhere.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I typically say, "An old Beetle."

Andreas
Love this reply
Old 11-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Augustus Davies

Originally Posted by verhag
Frankly, I could care less what anyone thinks...other than me. I've waited 40 years for this and all I care about is hearing the sounds, feeling the car, and enjoying the drive, not to mention simply sitting and staring at it. Have you seen the "Are You Listening" ad...referencing the 993. That ad says it all.

Again, who cares what they thinks....?
I totally agree with you Denny...although I waited only 14 years....
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Denise993
Pro

I was driving down one of DC's busy two lane roads in stop go traffic with the top down on my car ... a truck full of guys are next to me off and on as each lane inches along ... they are all looking, staring and pointing ... I'm ignoring them, not trying to give them the impression that I'm interested ... then all of a sudden, one guy yells "Hey lady... we like your car!"

What an ego deflator!

... Oh, and I don't worry about telling anyone I drive a Porsche around here. Most people have no clue what it is and the ones who do drive something even more expensive ... A few weeks ago, I had brunch with an old friend and his new boyfriend. The boyfriend drives an Aston Martin DB9 ... I got a peek at it ... what a nice ride!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Denise993
I was driving down one of DC's busy two lane roads in stop go traffic with the top down on my car ... a truck full of guys are next to me off and on as each lane inches along ... they are all looking, staring and pointing ... I'm ignoring them, not trying to give them the impression that I'm interested ... then all of a sudden, one guy yells "Hey lady... we like your car!"
Classic.

Had a similar experience when I owned (for six months) an S2000 (dont do that). Was on the outer loop headed toward the Wilson Bridge in, what else, stop and go traffic.

Now, at the time, I came off a couple P-cars and a couple BMW M cars so when I went to register the S2000 I figured I'd make fun of myself a little bit and so I got a custom plate that read "NO TORK."

In the aforementioned traffic, there was also a pick up truck next to me, filled with guys looking, staring and pointing. I ignored them so as not to communicate interest (this is Washington, afterall...) and one of them eventually yells out "No Torque! Is that like the engine?"

Yes. Yes it is.

As far as P-car specific stuff... I would always tell people, when asked, that I drove a Volkswagon. I would then, of course, need to explain the particulars after a friend or co-worker snickered at the answer.

Ive never had an experience where I felt myself to be perceived negatively. In all honestly, if someone has an interest in the car, Im more than happy to foster that. I've let complete strangers sit in past cars at gas stations, etc, etc. Hell Ive even tossed the keys to a couple people I only "kinda" knew. It makes their day.

I know it made mine. The reason I got into P-cars in the first place is because many moons ago, at a Texaco gas station in northeastern Pennsylvania, a grey-haired gentleman named Al let a teenage punk sit in, and start, his beautiful, wide, menacing, black 1978 930.

I had a 944 Turbo a few years later and I can still feel the gear lever of that 930 in the palm of my right hand.

You either get it or you dont - its easy to tell who is who.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:22 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

In west Sweden-I have had one nice comment after another-had two offers for the car-plus admiring looks from new Porsche owners-I still get a great feeling at turning the key after almost 15 years-my 993 has lived in Hawaii, Oregon and now Sweden and I have never had a bad experience-also when I mention how old the car is-I always get a no" F*&@KING WAY"-love that-
Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a total "In the closet Porsche Owner"

I'm currently living in a lower income part of town so the second I get home the car goes right into the garage and the cover goes on it. It never gets parked on the driveway. My car is worth about 1/3 of the real estate value in this area.

I never talk about owning a Pcar unless someone brings it up first.

When I'm asked what I drive, I always mention my Audi A4.

I'm still awkward when someone says "nice car"

Someone always ask me how much the car was...how rude!

I always catch little kids shoving their arms into my air intake ducts. Why would any good parent let their kid shove an arm into a unknown hole in a car? Not to mention it's not your car????

It really peees me off....
Old 11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although, I'm new to the 993 world (recent purchase), I have had a 912 for several years. I feel no snobish-ness (is that a word), with the 912, and generally get a lot of comments (positive, of course) with this car. I have just had the 993 for a short period, and I do feel just a little reserved in this car, and notice that I don't receive as many comments, or "thumbs up" when driving this car.

I did have a person come along side in an M6 the other day, and ask what year car this was. When I told him he thought it looked good. Probably the reason he asked was that it had a temporary tag on it.

Going to the mountains this weekend, and will see what kind of comments and remarks I get there. This is an area that is used to Porsches and higher end cars.

But, I am past the point about worrying about being concerned.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not Porsche related but still relevant>

Ex's family was a bit competitive. Ex's cousin always "tried" too hard. Grandparents were constantly comparing boasting of his "accolades". Much like Uncle Leo's son Jeffery. Came into town one weekend with the Audi TT. We never made an issue of it or said a word. Grandmother came over to the Ex's parents home and compared how the cousin's Taurus was "sporty" like our car.

Quick Reply: Are we Porsche snobs?