Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we Porsche snobs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my neighborhood there are very few "exotic" cars and you could go a week driving around Vista without seeing another Porsche (maybe a few 944's). People tend to stare when I pull into Stater Brothers here. Then you go down the coast ten miles to Del Mar and 16 year old kids are driving new BMW's and I feel much less conspicuous.
The worst thing is getting basic services. I tried to get my tires balanced the other day and they would ask "what kind of car do you own." and I would reply "does it matter?, I've got 17" aluminum rims.". Shops will try and charge double for services once they find out what kind of car it is.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was slightly concerned with this when I bought the car. I actually avoided driving it to work for a couple of weeks because I wondered what image it might project to people in the company above my pay grade.

One of my co-workers was in town from Florida and he saw me get out of the car in the morning. When I saw him in the building later that day he said to me, and these are his exact words "I didn't know you drive an Iron *****." I had never heard that before, but it didn't sound like something I should aspire to. I still don't know what exactly that means as some female co-workers entered the room two seconds after he said it and I thought it to not be the best subject to get into at the time. I have not seen him since that day as he only flies into our office once every two months or so, and generally is not on my side of the 300,000 square foot building.

As for the others in the office I just watered it down by pointing out that at least 50% of the cars out in the parking lot cost their owners more than this one cost me since there is a nice assortment of BMW's MB's, Land Rovers, Lexuses etc. in the lot. With that and the "It's my High School dream car" statement and the fact that many of the people I work with I have worked with for the past 10 years and they know my personality and what my previous cars were I don't get any heat over it.

Nick
Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 AM
sturco
Intermediate

Gee...I never thought of myself as a "snobby" type, more of a "lucky" type. I do find though that mini vans always want to race you. My neighbor though has a $125K Fountain sitting at his dock & he thinks I'm nuts driving a Porsche. I guess I feel the same way about him when I'm in my Boston Whaler ! It's all in the perception & I agree, I don't really care. Took too long to get here.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

The first day I brought the car home, my neighbor came over and said that he was proud to life next to a guy that owned a Porsche. My DD was a VW Golf TDI.
Fast forward, I moved to Germany and took the car with me. Since 1987 I owned a 1303 Super (Dung) Beetle Cabrio. Even though I had a Type 4 engine installed, for the people that don't know, it's the engie of a 914 fit into a beetle, I would get cut off in traffic, had fast VW vans tailgate at 100mph etc.
Other cars wouldn't get out of the way when in the left lane on the Autobahn or do move over and step on the gas just enough so I couldn't pass, you get the picture.
I sold it to make room for the 993. So now I don't have any of the above trouble and aggravations on the road anymore. Everybody in Germany knows what a Porsche looks like. I don't get tailgated, haven't been cut off yet. Actually it's like this now. I pull up behind a slower car and they move over, even though I don't get pushy, I never do. Most people overjudge my speed because they move over and then find out I'm not passing fast enough and then get stuck behind a truck or whatever. Sometimes I step on it so they don't have to slow down because they were nice to me.
I never had such a relaxed driving experience ever.
I love drving the car and the comment about it being a beetle is right on. None of my friends treat me differently since I have the car.
Only one thing changed, some of my friends also have convertibles but ever since I drive the Porsche, they don't want to participate going on drives as much anymore. It's more their wifes or GF's seem to have that idea that we will be going on a race rather then a nice drive through the local hills.
The stares are always present too although I haven't had any bad experience yet.
One time at a gas station, a BMW Z4 pulled up at the pump next to me. I was about to leave and the guy and his son come up to me and he explained to the little guy that he needed to listen to the engine to start because those engines have the best sound, sound like they're angry even at idle.
And it sure did, thanks to those Fabspeeds.
I really just wanted to comment on the similarities between my old super beetle and the 993 and my thoughts just kept taking off. Sorry for the long post.
Ed
Old 10-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Great posts...I love reading these stories! I can so relate. Keep the stories coming...
Old 10-30-2009, 02:40 PM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
And yes, many in SoCal chose their Porsche over their living accommodations, which I consider absolutely bizarre behavior but we have all types, don't we?
+1
Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Away for the week, just catching up here via Delta's free wi-fi @ 35K ft........

Restating what I've posted several times before. Grew up in the Bay Area, Porsches never really were a big deal. Sure, the trophy wife who drove Dr. hubby's '76 Turbo at jogging pace up on Skyline Blvd (Oakland) would get harassed by us in high school. (Sweet revenge to have ended up with its trashed engine after she ran it out of oil and he parked the car for 10 years. He dumped her, too.)

So I get that '68 911 in 1980 just out of high school. Jealousy? I suppose. But I didn't give a ____ since I was taking it straight to the track. I wanted the "most" more-than-4 cylinder car I could get for $6K. Having the abomination-of-parts that constituted the "rebuilt engine" blow up on me 3 months into my ownership put the autocross/time trial visions on hold.

Always have done my best, young or middle-aged, to be an ambassador for the 911. If not the brand as a whole. As with others, lots of "your Honda cost more", or "it's 12, 15, 30 years old and has 100K, 150K, 250K miles". Or I can ultimately trump with talking about owning shops or otherwise being involved with the cars to make a living. Telling racing stories and showing pictures is also effective; accenting a 911 conversation with a picture of the Radical or 910 has never failed to get the most clueless anti-Porsche guy (and yes, always a guy) to shut up.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The perception of Porsche ownership doesn't go away even if the car is nearly 15 years old, which mine is. My closest friends are happy for me because they are car people and understand. However my wife and I do not live near any family and we won't tell them that we own one. They would wonder where we got our money. Ignorance. We don't need the aggravation. They are not car people and would not understand in one hundred years. If they visit I will park the car at my neighbor's house. Pretty sad unfortunately. My wife never understood the adoration either and just thought I wanted to be a 'showoff' until we test drove a BMW Z3 3.0L which is basically her car now. Now she gets it. Handling, the exhiliration of driving, etc... I finally own my 993 and I'm happy. It makes me feel great! Just so many years of wanting one and I finally did it before all the nice ones disappear. What other people think is their problem. If they think I am a snob, fine. My tombstone could read "Smart with his money" or "Loved his wife and a Porsche 993 owner". I choose the latter.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Jake G
Rennlist Member

Smile

I am a "Car Guy" through and through. I grew up going to old car shows and participating in car club events. I did my first ground up restoration on a 1968 Mustang Convertible, which I drove to high school on nice days and showed on the weekends. I have worked hard my entire life (37 Years Old) and have owned countless really cool cars that have been on my car bucket list. It wasn't until this past summer that I was having trouble selling my 1930 Ford roadster streetrod, when a guy offered me a trade on my current 993 P-car. I fell in love with the entire driving experience that all of you have. Am I a Porsche guy? I don't know. When I drive my Honda minivan, I am a minivan guy. When I drive my Shelby AC Cobra, I am a Cobra guy. So I guess I am a Porsche guy when I drive the Porsche. All of the cars that I have owned over the years are more than cars to me, they are an expession of me. I am scared to admit that after a fresh detail on the wife's Odyssey....I still look back at it as I walk away and admire it as I approach it. She does not share my sickness. What she does share is the love of the Porsche....She says that it is her favorite car we have ever owned and she loves to drive it. I could care less what others think about my obsession with cars or how big my garage is. The car hobby is one of my escapes and I have more friends than I can count because of it. Although I do see the difference in the Porsche cars, I think it is more about the passion of great cars to me.

My 2 cents, Jake
Old 10-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,176 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake G
I am a "Car Guy" through and through. I grew up going to old car shows and participating in car club events. I did my first ground up restoration on a 1968 Mustang Convertible, which I drove to high school on nice days and showed on the weekends. I have worked hard my entire life (37 Years Old) and have owned countless really cool cars that have been on my car bucket list. It wasn't until this past summer that I was having trouble selling my 1930 Ford roadster streetrod, when a guy offered me a trade on my current 993 P-car. I fell in love with the entire driving experience that all of you have. Am I a Porsche guy? I don't know. When I drive my Honda minivan, I am a minivan guy. When I drive my Shelby AC Cobra, I am a Cobra guy. So I guess I am a Porsche guy when I drive the Porsche. All of the cars that I have owned over the years are more than cars to me, they are an expession of me. I am scared to admit that after a fresh detail on the wife's Odyssey....I still look back at it as I walk away and admire it as I approach it. She does not share my sickness. What she does share is the love of the Porsche....She says that it is her favorite car we have ever owned and she loves to drive it. I could care less what others think about my obsession with cars or how big my garage is. The car hobby is one of my escapes and I have more friends than I can count because of it. Although I do see the difference in the Porsche cars, I think it is more about the passion of great cars to me.

My 2 cents, Jake
Great post Jake. Hope you make it out to some of the RL and/or PCA meets/tours next season.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Rinty
Drifting

I'm careful with whom I tell...Adrienne
Likewise. I take it on a person by person basis. My friends and relatives know I'm a gearhead, so they're happy for me, and they know the car is a replacement for the bikes I rode for many years. The neighbourhood has lots of fine cars, so that's not a problem.

But where I have to be real careful, is with my clients, even if they're enthusiasts.

I have noticed that more than a few people use the car as an ice breaker, in conversation.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:01 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Living in a hick town in NZ is always going to get people taking. Most hate the fact I drive a nice car, plus I own a business so I am automatically deemed a rich bastard. If only they knew.
The petrol station "I used to go to" pissed me off one day. I filled it up and the fat useless moron with an IQ of about 3 says to me "it's costs a lot to look cool ay bro".
It sucks to reward yourself for the hard work to get the toys doesn't it.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Rinty
Drifting

993 Man:

I haven't been to NZ for a number of years, but when I was there, the Kiwi's (whom I love) were a conservative lot.

So the jealousy is part of the price of P-car ownership of living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
993 Man:

I haven't been to NZ for a number of years, but when I was there, the Kiwi's (whom I love) were a conservative lot.

So the jealousy is part of the price of P-car ownership of living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world?
Canada's not that bad from what i hear. But yes, it's a nice country and all that but there are some real tossers here as well. You want them? It'll help us
Old 10-30-2009, 11:39 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Canada's not that bad from what i hear. But yes, it's a nice country and all that but there are some real tossers here as well. You want them? It'll help us
No we're all loaded up here. In fact we're waaay over-stocked!

Quick Reply: Are we Porsche snobs?