Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: JIC Cross Competition Coilovers (NB 993)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:08 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default FS: JIC Cross Competition Coilovers (NB 993)

Up for sale are my JIC Cross Competition coilovers for my narrow body 993. These were purchased at the beginning of last season. Since that time, I have participated in approximately 12 DE events and have put maybe 1500 street miles on the car (mostly driving to and from the track). My initial intention was to create a hybrid street-track car, but as is usually the case, I’ve fallen off the slippery slope. I participated in my first club race last month at NJMP and I'm taking the car to the point of no return. Asking $2,000 plus shipping (retail cost is $3,400).

I have been incredibly impressed with this setup… very comfortable (albeit stiff) on the street and incredibly fast on the track. In fact, I currently hold the G-class track record at Thunderbolt with this setup (Yes, Mark Lee didn’t show up for the race…. But a record is a record). Here’s a taste of them on track last month: http://www.vimeo.com/6389756

I will be glad to leave the spring perches as is, which should make installation a breeze, as ride-height should be perfect (just a smidge below RS height). I’ll also be glad to share my alignment specs and adjustment settings for a variety of east-coast tracks (and comfortable settings for the street). I’ve had a number of very competent racers and coaches drive with me in this car, including Chris Cervelli last weekend, who was very impressed with the setup and said the following: “… whoever designed those shocks/springs did a good job”.

I typically run very close to the middle of the adjustment range (not like PSS9s, where everyone runs at full stiff, negating any practical value of fine-tuning your adjustments). Every click results in perceptable changes in handling with extremely well-engineered digressive dampening characteristics. The current springs are 8kg front (450 lbs/in) and 11 kg reear (620 lbs/in). This is a very nice compromise for those of you that want to dominate on the track, and still be able to take a sunday cruise on the street. I actually had a nice time driving the 7 hours (400 miles) to VIR last year.

The setup includes front camber plates and rear upper mounts. I will also include the TRG extra long rear sway bar drop brackets that are required if you run RS sway bars. The setup is still on the car, as I’m awaiting a purchaser before I commit to removing them. I will include detailed pictures after removal and before shipping. Please PM me if you’d like additional pictures or information.

Asking $2,000 plus shipping (CONUS only, payment expected via Paypal within 24 hours, first with commitment to buy wins, not first with questions)

For more information, please visit the JIC website http://cross-na.com/ViewProduct1.asp...0&CarMakeID=14

Last edited by ninjabones; 11-01-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

A great suspension upgrade for someone!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:38 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What are you putting on the car as a replacement?
Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
What are you putting on the car as a replacement?
That's a good question... not entirely sure yet. However, I'm going to go pretty crazy with spring rates, making the car pretty much unstreetable.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the props, Glen. Not to sound overly modest, but I'm only somewhat quick. When I can beat all of the H and I cars in my 993, I'll consider myself to be really fast. I definitely have a ways to go. if I can do better than two track events a year, maybe the process will be . . . quicker.

JIC's are very, very capable. John Haas turns incredibly fast times in his JIC-equipped 993.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks Mark.

I like the JIC's and their service is great. I emailed regarding a rebuild this off season and later that day I got an email back with prices and options for spring rates and revalving. Bonus is the camber plates came with. Once Mr. Lee is successful in guiding a certain rule change through PCA, I can unpin them!!

That said, Glen, I'd be interested in knowing why you would want to change unless you are going with $12000.00 Penske's or something. I'd email or call Jon at Cross and tell him what spring rates you are thinking about. Revalving what you have will be a ton cheaper. tech@jic-magic.com
Old 10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

I have spoken with John at JIC (actually was on the phone with him earlier today for like 20 minutes discussing options and how we'd set-up these shocks if I were to respring and revalve)... yes, the service at JIC has been incredible.

The cheapest option for me right now would be to revalve/respring and go for it... however, I'm a geek about tweeking and fidgeting with set-up. The idea of remote reservoir triples is appealing to me, and I have an opportunity on some high end triples that I may not be able to pass on. Only downside is that I'd have to buy new camber plates since the JICs are specific for their piston diameters. Again, one of the great bargains with this JIC set-up is the camber plates and rear mounts are included.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Total bargoon indeed
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
That's a good question... not entirely sure yet. However, I'm going to go pretty crazy with spring rates, making the car pretty much unstreetable.
Are the tracks you run on smmoth enough to go for the crazier spring rates? Are you heading towards 993 Cup type rates?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:36 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
Are the tracks you run on smmoth enough to go for the crazier spring rates? Are you heading towards 993 Cup type rates?
Unfortunately, choosing spring rates for a track car is as much of an art as a science. Having spoken with several very knowledgeble guys for recommendations (including Peter Dawe, Chris Cervelli, Bill Dougherty and Don ***), I got three different recommendations (and some were very surprising).

Obviously, the ideal situation is to have a spring/tuning set-up for each track and for different track conditions (i.e. rain)... but the limit of my resources dictates one set-up that will necessarily be a compromise to handle a variety of tracks and conditions.

But back to the point of this thread.... anyone going to buy these things? If not, I guess my choice will be easy (back to John at JIC for stiffer springs and revalve)
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a nice deal! Someone should snap that up!
Old 10-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

If you don't mind my asking, how much stiffer would these "feel" on street compared to HD/Euro M030?

Reason I ask is my setup is not stiff by any means, but still manages to handle road imperfections rather poorly. Kinda like jack of all trades, master of none.

Wondering if the JIC's wouldn't be much worse on the street, and offer a quantum leap improvement on track.

Matt
Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
If you don't mind my asking, how much stiffer would these "feel" on street compared to HD/Euro M030?

Reason I ask is my setup is not stiff by any means, but still manages to handle road imperfections rather poorly. Kinda like jack of all trades, master of none.

Wondering if the JIC's wouldn't be much worse on the street, and offer a quantum leap improvement on track.

Matt
My 993 cab had the M030 set-up on it, so I'm very familiar with the difference. I actually found the M030 set-up to be pretty harsh on the street. At 4 clicks from full soft front and rear, my coupe actually felt more comfortable on the street than my cab did (that is until I added monoballs and solid tranny/motor mounts). As I mentioned in my initial post, I made the 7 hour trip to VIR last season without any complaints. However, at 11 front / 13 rear, it's a completely different story and it will knock your fillings out. That's the beauty of an adjustable system... you can set it exactly at your comfort level.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Matt

Glen and I have identical cars except mine has HDs and his has the JICs. I've driven both cars and I can say that when the JICS are set to a softer setting they are better on low speed bumps etc than my HDs.

Jeff
Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Thanks Jeff (and Glen). This would be a no-brainer had I not installled my HD's 2 seasons ago. The cost of replacement, alignment and corner balance is prohibitive (for me) at this point.

Otherwise, we'd have a deal!

Best,

Matt

Quick Reply: FS: JIC Cross Competition Coilovers (NB 993)