993 Forum 1995-1998

Couple questions: Mats and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Jim W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions: Mats and bumper

1) I have a fitted carpet mat that goes down over the OEM half vinyl/carpet mat on the drivers side. That one is secured in place with a floor mounted post and plastic cap but nothing keeps the 'overmat' from moving forward and creeping up over the bottom of the gas pedal. It bugs me but I like having it for the extra protection of the under mat. (And it looks better) How do you keep it in place without moving?
2) I have a euro rear bumper (without bumperettes) and a pop out plug cover for tow hook to right of plate but under the plug is just flat aluminum plate, no hole. I assume that euro models actually have a hole drilled here??? Can that be done one our cars? Any reason I can't drilll and thread a hole myself?
Thanks in advance!
Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 09:00 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim W
1) I have a fitted carpet mat that goes down over the OEM half vinyl/carpet mat on the drivers side. How do you keep it in place without moving?
Jim
I have the same setup. I bought a mat set (what you called the "overmat") from the dealer a few months ago and placed them, as you did, over the carpet that has the plastic hold down screw. The package included four grippers with a long, sharp hook to insert into the installed carpet at the rear corners of the two front mats. I'd rate the fastening system 5 on a scale of 10. It avoids the major slippage you mentioned but the carpet moves around too much for my taste. I have thought about looking for some other fastening arrangement but it's not a top priority.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:07 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

re. the mats issue, Lloyd Mats have the hole that the OE carpet does and come with a longer plastic "nut" to secure them.
They stay in place very well. If you need/want new mats, they are a great mat.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I remove all of the carpet mats out of the car and only put them back in when I'm out on a date or know that I'll have more than myself in the car. In their place I am using the thick rubber Weathertech mats made specifically for the 993 from Automotion.
http://www.automotion.com/product.as...dept%5Fid=4816
I find these easy to remove to clean and they hold moisture/water from seeping into the carpet/mats.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with Harlan, I use the Rennline track mats.
--Joe

Quick Reply: Couple questions: Mats and bumper