TomTom in-car i-Phone cradle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_993
Jon Paul,

Just picked up the mount after seeing your post. How did you route the power cable and are you using the cig plug or did you hardwire it in?
I am a novice at stereo installation, so I paid a local shop $45 to hardwire the power cable into the car (see post #8 for pictures and other audio cables I bought from Crutchfield to make it all work), they routed through the dash between the upper pad and the instrument surround next to the clock.

Originally Posted by ggg1ggg
So can you get TomTom voice directions over bluetooth through your head unit? If so, does music mute when it's giving directions?
Yes and yes. You need to tap into your stereo for audio either in the front with a standard pin jack or, if it doesn't have that, in the back like I did (see post #8 for pic's of cables I got through Crutchfield).
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Tomtom mount just to get lap times on the track, with Harry's LapTimer.
It works pretty well, the GPS from the tomtom mount is much more accurate than the one in the iphone (especially 3G).
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, the Tom Tom app is on sale for $39.99 at the moment ...

Would love to hear from others who have it installed; my Alpine head unit has an iPod cable but not sure how all this interfaces together. I need to order the mount now.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
FYI, the Tom Tom app is on sale for $39.99 at the moment ...

Would love to hear from others who have it installed; my Alpine head unit has an iPod cable but not sure how all this interfaces together. I need to order the mount now.
That's a great deal. After using the mount, I'd give the Navigation App an A and the hands-free calling feature a C (it's hard to hear the caller and they hear alot of car noise). It would be better if the hands-free calls came in over the stereo like the Navigation voice/iTunes does.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Checked in with the iphone app store via my 3G iphone and there the TomTom U.S.A. app priced at $39.99. If purchaced today May 3rd 2010 the $39.99 would have a $20.00 discount, so all toll $19.99 for the Tom Tom navi application.

The useful Tom Tom iphone auto mount seems to be priced at $99.00 as a stand alone mount. My guess is the mounts enhanced GPS antenna function is worth the $99. admission; together a nice package.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 505 Likes on 348 Posts

I picked up the mount a little over a month ago and subsequently bought the TomTom Navi App. So far, the combination has been great. I also downloaded the NAVI APP to my wife's iPhone and she loves having it on there (just in case). The mount works great in the 993 (on the clock) and I use it on the windshield of my Audi. The Audi is much quieter inside and the "hands free" works much better....no surprise.

I haven't tried it yet, but a friend suggested that I attached the audio cable to the top jack where the headset would attach and plug into AUX IN of my stereo to hear calls over stereo. Haven't tried yet...haven't really had to. All in all, the convenience of the mount, charging, iPod, and Nav all combine with an occasional call is great.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the $20 discount is reflected in the $39 price, the app is normally $59.

The statement from my iTunes account when I bought it yesterday was $39 plus tax.

Also note that the $99 mount is for the iPod Touch, the iPhone mount is $119, presumably for the hands-free phone option.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Also note that the $99 mount is for the iPod Touch, the iPhone mount is $119, presumably for the hands-free phone option.
So true, I totally screwed the order up; ipod touch vs iphone.

Quick Reply: TomTom in-car i-Phone cradle