Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid lifter conversion questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Solid lifter conversion questions...

Since it's time to replace the stock lifters I thought I would convert the rocker arms to RSR using this kit.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/984/

Because I am going with GT2 EVO cams at rebuild time this makes more sense than wasting money on lifters that I am going to toss in the next 6-18 months.

My question is how will the quides be lubricated since most of the oil came from the bleed off of the lifters. I know the 964 uses a different spary bar. I wonder if that needs to be changed?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 382 Posts

Oil is supplied from the oil gallery in the head, #6, thru the internal rocker gallery to the lifter reservoir, #7. As long as the rockers have the galleries then oil gets to the valve head. Most of these conversion kits start w/ 993 rockers and modify them for the screw adjusters. But I'd ask Patrick to be sure.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Spoke to the guys at patrick motorsports. They said oil is no longer supplied to the valve tip like the hydraulic style. He said it should not be a problem because thats the way the factory has been doing it since the 2.7 days.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:15 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow, that price looks a little on the heavy side to me... Go over to pelican, buy a set of solid rockers, send them to someone to have them rebushed (& cam contact surface dressed) with no hole and groove the inside for oil flow and I think you're set. ...total maybe something in the $500 or so range.

I've heard of some folks limiting the oil flow to rockers by smaller hole in cam tower or shaft Maybe others can comment on this.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Wow, that price looks a little on the heavy side to me... Go over to pelican, buy a set of solid rockers, send them to someone to have them rebushed (& cam contact surface dressed) with no hole and groove the inside for oil flow and I think you're set. ...total maybe something in the $500 or so range.

I've heard of some folks limiting the oil flow to rockers by smaller hole in cam tower or shaft Maybe others can comment on this.
The good news is they are $200.00 cheaper over at Pelican than Patrick for the kit.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item16

The bad news I don't see being able to buy the solid rockers by themselfs for doing what you are talking about.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 AM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

...forgot one thing, you also need to have the width set too and I think set OD of bushing to OD of 993 rocker (i forget if rocker pins are same dia as old ones).

The rocker arms are really not so hard to find as there tons of them out there. Let me know if you'd like help to find'm.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:24 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoeMag
...forgot one thing, you also need to have the width set too and I think set OD of bushing to OD of 993 rocker (i forget if rocker pins are same dia as old ones).

The rocker arms are really not so hard to find as there tons of them out there. Let me know if you'd like help to find'm.
While the kit is pricy I do like the 993 style over the 964 style. Looking at the cost of new hydraulic rockers the kit is not that bad. I have seen guys modify the stock rockers and add adjustable feet and block off the oil hole feeding the tip. I have seen 964 rockers adapted to the 993 shafts. So I have to ask what is the cost savings after machine work etc vs the kit price and what is the comprimise? Depending on that delta and knowing I am trying to build someing pretty extavagent I am still leaning towords the kit.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Give John Dougherty a call... His site is below. Tell him you're going to send him a 993 rocker and you want him to rebush a set of solid rockers (no hole), size the bushing to the 993 rocker, put in oil groove and make the solid rockers the width of your 993, and resurface cam contact area.

http://www.drcamshafts.com/

I had him do that and it was <$300. ...I think he only had the change the width on a few of my entire set.

He also has used rockers to, i'd ask him to price those... I'll ping a few folks to see used market going rate for set.

Here's pic of what they'll look like.

btw, what do you mean by you're building something "pretty extravagent"?

Last edited by JoeMag; 12-23-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Thanks Joe!!

See the below link for a peak at what I am working on. My car is at the top of the page and the specs are 3 posts down.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ome-in-11.html
Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 AM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I found this thread, and was curious at what point would this be a beneficial option. I have a 3.6 project with RS intake valves, and RS cams, but it will be a perky street car, not track. Is this something usually done on high rev engines only, or maybe something I should consider?
Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
Emerald
Old 10-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth the shop that built my car did the solid lifter conversion, super cup cams, 964 timing chain sprockets, RSR headers, a cone filter on a V-ram intake, and reprogrammed the computer for 100 octane and a 7400RPM revlimit. Everything else is stock, down to the rod bolts (hope that doesn't bite me) with 57,000 miles and it laid down 315hp at the wheels. The disclaimer on that figure is the car has BBS e88 wheels (super light) and a 11pound 5.5" clutch and flywheel out of a 997RSR, and solid motor mounts. From what I have been told, the weight of the rotational parts can have a large effect on dyno readings. I have not driven the car yet ( just bought it already done this way) so can't comment beyond what parts someone else seemed to think it needed to be competitive and reliable for endurance racing.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by e3photo
So I found this thread, and was curious at what point would this be a beneficial option. I have a 3.6 project with RS intake valves, and RS cams, but it will be a perky street car, not track. Is this something usually done on high rev engines only, or maybe something I should consider?
Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
Emerald
Hi Emerald,

JMHO, but I would not use the adjustable rockers on a street car with stock or RS cams. They really are intended for engines that operate continually above 6500,...especially 7K+.

Its nice not to need valve adjustments every 10K or so.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:55 AM
ford_jj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile very clear

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Oil is supplied from the oil gallery in the head, #6, thru the internal rocker gallery to the lifter reservoir, #7. As long as the rockers have the galleries then oil gets to the valve head. Most of these conversion kits start w/ 993 rockers and modify them for the screw adjusters. But I'd ask Patrick to be sure.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:22 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Steve -- Thanks for jumping in with the "real experience knowledge"...
Old 10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Steve,

That's pretty much all I need to know.

Cheers,
Emerald

Quick Reply: Solid lifter conversion questions...