Vertex HID recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No.
As an OEM "as delivered" product, they would not be considered "aftermarket" and would be subject to a much different recall.

In essence, the DOT would have to claim that a car which was sold as US legal (i.e. OEM Litronics) was now no longer legal. AFAIK (after a quick search) that is not the case in this instance.
But why is any of that a reason to avoid aftermarket HIDs? Here’s my understanding:

1. There’s nothing wrong with Vertex HIDs. The “recall” is only a red-tape legal issue.
2. Vertex HIDs are essentially the same as OEM in terms of light scatter.
3. The “recall” is voluntary, meaning you don’t need to send them back. Hence it has zero affect on us.

Based on that, I see absolutely no reason to prefer OEM. If I’m wrong somewhere please let me know.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
But why is any of that a reason to avoid aftermarket HIDs? Here’s my understanding:

1. There’s nothing wrong with Vertex HIDs. The “recall” is only a red-tape legal issue.
2. Vertex HIDs are essentially the same as OEM in terms of light scatter.
3. The “recall” is voluntary, meaning you don’t need to send them back. Hence it has zero affect on us.

Based on that, I see absolutely no reason to prefer OEM. If I’m wrong somewhere please let me know.
You're correct.
It is simply a red-tape / legal /liability issue.

Again, you have altered the OEM configuration of the vehicle and if it is claimed that said modification was non DOT approved and furthermore was cited as the cause of an accident/claim, you know there will need to be liability assigned.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike J
We would all go with Litronics I am sure if they were not stupidly expensive...must be at least 10x the cost of the HID kits.
IIRC, the Litronics kit from Sunset Imports was ~ $2200 for my wife's Targa.
Just to make matters worse, they are becoming more difficult to source/locate.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
... if it is claimed that said modification was non DOT approved and furthermore was cited as the cause of an accident/claim, you know there will need to be liability assigned.
Ok, gotcha. I didn't know that's what you had in mind. I've heard that concern before, but I've always dismissed it as paranoia.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Ok, gotcha. I didn't know that's what you had in mind. I've heard that concern before, but I've always dismissed it as paranoia.
One man's paranoia is another man's lawsuit
Old 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you scratch the surface here my guess is that Vertex (or any of the other suppliers) didn't have the "proper" language on the package about it being appropriate for only certain cars and/or for "off road" use only. I agree with ltc's point but I think the real issue as far as the DOT is concerned is with people putting these in regular reflector lamps as opposed to the projection lens lamps that are standard on 993s. Sticking an HID in a regular halogen reflector does blind oncoming cars and I think it is quite fairly a legitimate safety issue. As far as our cars go, although I'm certainly no authority on these things I'm pretty confident that my upgraded lights are fine, even if not technically DOT approved - although I'm not so sure about the fogs as those never came with HID bulbs as stock.

You can really lose your mind about this stuff. The fact of the matter is that anyone who's modified their suspension is also subject to a certain amount of potential additional liability - "this accident was caused by you losing control due to your modified suspension...." I feel badly for Vertex but if they'd thought about it they probably could have avoided this by just putting an "off road only" sticker the box. I'm not a fan of regs by any means but we have them (as does any country short of some banana republic) so you just have to be smart about it and/or exercise some common sense. The same goes for us with any mod we do.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:43 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was comment many months ago about Vertex being "raided" for their HID kits. But nothing else ever came of it.

There is a projector lens in the fog housing as well as a horizon shield making the light shoot low and wide. I put HIDs in my fogs and there is no way it would bother oncoming traffic.

dave
Old 10-21-2009, 09:55 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
But our stock fogs are projector...
Correct - except the only difference is that inside the lens the top half is blocked off so to cut underneath the fog. But I was referring to the regular Halogen reflector type lights used on most cars and trucks. Have you ever noticed these cars and the jacked up 4x4 pick-up trucks with these regular lights and fogs converted with HID - extremely blinding - I completely agree they need to crack down on this.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
with all the problems in the world I'm sure glad the Obama govt is focused on the really important problems facing our nation!!!
Yeah, I'm sure that the minute Obama got into office he issued an executive order directing the strict enforcement of a federal safety standard on car headlamps...
Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Please try and keep politics (and Obama) out of this discussion.
We have a forum for that, P&C.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Vertex HID recall