C4S Tire Question - Different front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:31 AM
nshanny
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4S Tire Question - Different front and rear

Hi there,

I recently had to change my rear tires as they were gone. They used to be the Bridgestone S-03 front and rear, but the S-03s are no longer available. The shop replaced the rears with S-02s, which was fine, but then they called and indicated that they needed to replace the fronts as well since the front/rear had to have the same tread pattern. It turns out that the S-02 and S-03 had different tread patterns.

The shop indicated that this had to be done only because this was a C4 due to the viscous coupling link between front and rear. Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks
Nick
Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it is important to keep the same tread pattern on all 4 for proper performance. I have read this many times on many forums and by car manufacturers like Goodyear and Michelin. I can't comment on the C4S mechanical issues but it makes sense.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nshanny
...It turns out that the S-02 and S-03 had different tread patterns....The shop indicated that this had to be done only because this was a C4 due to the viscous coupling link between front and rear....
No the viscous coupling is the reason why the ratios of the overall diameters need to be within a certain difference.

The reason why you ideally want to keep the tread pattern from one model of tires is that the front and rears were designed to work together, which arguably is a bigger issue with Porsches than "normal" cars given the weight distribution and nuances of 911 handling. There is no hard rule that you can't use different tire brands or makes but you need to be aware that it is not optimal. A few people have done this and report that there were negative effects. If you don't drive too aggressively then it SHOULD be OK but just remember that it wasn't designed that way.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 578 Posts

Hi there,

I recently had to change my rear tires as they were gone. They used to be the Bridgestone S-03 front and rear, but the S-03s are no longer available. The shop replaced the rears with S-02s, which was fine, but then they called and indicated that they needed to replace the fronts as well since the front/rear had to have the same tread pattern. It turns out that the S-02 and S-03 had different tread patterns.

The shop indicated that this had to be done only because this was a C4 due to the viscous coupling link between front and rear. Anyone heard of this before?

Thanks
Nick
i'll not comment on the tread pattern issue, but i will tell you that IMO the front - rear tire diameter differential should be < 4%.

have fun
Old 10-19-2009, 04:40 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

FWIW - I have had diff Michellin Pilot Sport tire tread patterns front/rear for two years now and have had no issues whatsoever. This includes drivng in the rain in a spirited manner..
Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi there,

Thanks
Nick
I had the exact same issue, used Bridgestone RE050s for the rear since their pattern was a lot closer to the S03 than the S02. No issues and several AX events in about 1 year until I wore out the rears & fronts.

The requirement of similar (<5% IIRC) F/R rolling radius for C4 & C4S is real. But if you're using the original sized tires you should be OK.

I know this topic has been beaten to death before, so some searching here can net you more inputs quickly.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:01 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Yes, the <5% IIRC F/R rolling radius for C4 & C4S is real.. The tire vendor should have the specs to ensure you will be OK. For the Michelins PS tires I have with diff tread pattern, they are within tolerance.. You can tell if they are not because if > ~ 5% IIRC F/R rolling radius the ABS will not funtion.

Easy to check in a wet parking lot at slow speed by hiting the brakes hard ... I "accidentally" checked mine last year when someone didn't look while backing out of a parking space (after a rain) and I had to jam my brakes on to stop from hitting them.

Quick Reply: C4S Tire Question - Different front and rear