Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Install Parrot RKI 8400, finished

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 AM
The Eagle
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the write up with pics, very usefull.

~ The Eagle ~
---------------------

'96 Polar Silver/Black C4S, manual, litronics, LED's in the positioning lights, alu/leather shifter & handbrake,
silver face gauges with alu rings, "GT" sport seats, full leather interior, motor sound airbox, stainless door sills,
front protection bar, with split rear grill and layered with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax

'92 Carrera 2 (Sold)
'89 Carrera 3.2 (Sold)
Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....great job on the install...thanks for the pics and description/pics of your solution....I may have to seriously consider getting one of these!!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a cool video on it:

http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/ha...parrot-rki8400

No association.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job, its a clean look for our cars.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Hi Ed. It has been sometime now, since you installed your parrot. Impressions/ feedback etc will be greatly appreciated. Particularly, I'm interested in how the phone features perform. TIA
Regards
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Quick feedback,
I found out that the antenna cable that comes from the Parrot is switched a bit later then the head unit itself. So when you turn on the Parrot, it first boots up and then turns the radio on. Right then is when I got a knack through all the speakers because that's the cable that I used to turn on the Nokia amp. I eliminated that knack by using the yellow switched + cable to turn on the amp. So now the Parrot and the amp turn on at the same time.
The phone mode has 3 ways to make a call. Either by turning the **** in the phone book mode until you find the right address, by voice activation or the dial pad. I have a standard Nokia 6500 classic phone and the Parrot has a problem when there are 2 phone numbers in one name. You can select the name and it stalls because it gets confused. It then sits there for 20sec. and reboots. I contacted Parrot about it and they look into it but no solution yet.
The voice activation works great, although you have to exactly know how you named that contact. For example Jimmy hm or Jimmy cell will have to be pronounced right otherwise no connection.
As for the person on the other end, they can always tell when they're on the speaker phone because it sounds tinny. They understand perfectly well, just seems off a bit.
The overall sound has improved a bit but I tend to believe it's the equilizer adjustment. I can now easily distort the stock speakers by cranking in too much bass. I will eventually upgrade speakers and amp but for now it's OK.
Using my Ipod classic, I got some 40 gb on it and the Parrot can't replicate all the same features the I pod has. If you turn the dial **** too fast, it eventually quits responding. It then always reboots and you start over.
There are software updates that you have to load from the home PC to a memory stick and then go to the car and download it. Even if you use the Parrot wizard, it has a problem recognizing the name in the head unit. The update setting stays inactive until you get the file name right. I had to call customer service 4 times until they got it right. Now I know what the file name has to look like but I hated the fact that I had to go back and forth for too many times until I got it done.
Those are my impressions sofar. Other then that, it has performed fine. I would like to have full buttons on the dial pad instead of small tabs and a remote so it's easier to jog. A smaller dial **** would be good too so it's easier to use the buttons on top of the dial.
Hope that helped.
I would be interested to hear about other people that installed it. How did you solve the fitment into the dash?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:55 PM
einreb92
Instructor

So when you are rolling along listening to music, there is no problem with the auto switchover to phone and volume compensation? Can you clearly hear the phone ring? Can you tell me a bit more about how and why you placed the dual mikes? I can't picture how you ran the wire.
Thanks for letting me pick your brain. It sounds to me like it was a good choice, but all things considered not a great one. Is that correct?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hello einreb,
I purchased it because I got it dirt cheap, it was a show sample. I happened to see it at my friends audio/video store. I liked the color match to my classic grey dash so I took it.
I placed the microphones there because I have a cab. The wind noice around the A pillar with the top and windows done doesn't work very well. The wires go straight down the steering column for about 4" then go across the center by the heater ducts. It's easy, no fishing around for any holes. There are adjustments for ringtones, volume of rings and sensitivity etc.
I can say that using a phone with my car will only work while driving somewhat slow and low rpms. Anything over 100mph is a bit difficult with the top closed of course. Yes, it's legal, I live in Germany now.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default parrot

I had my installer put the exact same unit in my 993, he said no hassles at all.

i have used the bluetooth alot, it works great!

i listen to my favorites on my IPOD . all the info can be seen.
LOVE IT!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:48 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any more updates on these?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
arenared911cab
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Arena, did you do the install yourself, and do you have any pics or more detailed comments opinions on the product/fitment?

Also, anybody know of simular alternatives, ones with IPOD storage?

Looking to get one too!

Quick Reply: Install Parrot RKI 8400, finished