Sponsored by:

Any member to visit a 993 at @ Escondido, CA

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:10 PM
foonzoo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any member to visit a 993 at @ Escondido, CA

I almost found an agreement on a silver 993 with the dealer 'Unique Automotive Ltd', located at Escondido, CA, near San Diego.

As I live in the Bay Area, I would really appreciate if a R-member could stop by and have a deep look before I take my flight ticket. I am particularly interested about the engine & clutch condition (visible leak, synchro, etc.)

Thanks in advance !
Old 10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by foonzoo
I almost found an agreement on a silver 993 with the dealer 'Unique Automotive Ltd', located at Escondido, CA, near San Diego.

As I live in the Bay Area, I would really appreciate if a R-member could stop by and have a deep look before I take my flight ticket. I am particularly interested about the engine & clutch condition (visible leak, synchro, etc.)

Thanks in advance !
i ride by their shop nearly every weekend.
they are a used car dealer located in a large auto mall.
if you get to the point of requesting a PPI, consider using all german auto, they are ~ 1 mile away.
you might also use collision plus inc, (760.432.2085) ask for ryan hensch, if you want a body / paint ppi, he is ~ 200 meters from unique.
i can't stop by to help, sorry, i'm flying to japan and will be away for the next 2 weeks

craig
Old 10-16-2009, 03:48 PM
foonzoo
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice!

All German Auto is the shop that maintained the car by the past so this is good to know. I should perhaps consider another shop for the ppi anyway...

When do you come back from Japan ? I might not be able to see the car before October 28th anyway...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

Marc, you have a PM.

Eric
Old 10-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm friends with a highly qualified Porsche tech who wouldn't mind stopping by if your not in too much of a hurry (he's racing this weekend). I'd even tag along. If your schedule accommodates next week PM me.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:52 PM
foonzoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
If your schedule accommodates next week PM me.
Your help is very much appreciated, you have a PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:48 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be leary of anything at Unique. I have never bought anything from them, but I think they specialize in buying stuff at auction, duct taping it together and getting it out the door. I would take Flat-6 Performance's offer and have as many eyes look at the car as possible before making a decision.
If I am in the area I will check it out and post as well.
Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 AM
foonzoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I would be leary of anything at Unique. I have never bought anything from them, but I think they specialize in buying stuff at auction, duct taping it together and getting it out the door. I would take Flat-6 Performance's offer and have as many eyes look at the car as possible before making a decision.
If I am in the area I will check it out and post as well.
Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice chaoscreature the more eyes I will get, the happier I will be !
Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Foonzoo,
I swung by Unique and checked out the car this afternoon. Overall it looked like a fairly decent car for the price relative to other cars for sale in the area. That being said, I think you can do better.
I did not drive the car but I did rev the engine and play with all the *****. It has an aftermarket stereo and aftermarket gauges, and the "premium sound" option.
The paint looked good, no obvious signs of repair work, but I didn't lift the carpets. All of the body gaps were even so if it was repaired it was done well. The salesman told me that the car originally had a racing front apron with some sort of air dam or spoiler in the front. He also stated that he sold the car to the previous owner about two years ago for $33k, but that owner passed away. The heir to the car is selling it on commision.
THe muffler looks like a straight pipe past the stock cats. The exhaust tips have a perforated inner core and I think some glass packing. It sounds pretty good. Loud at idle, but smooths out a little.
The shifter felt really strange and is not stock. It felt like it was made out of rubber. You could move it around and twist the shifter ball around. Not very confidence inspiring.
I am NOT a porsche expert, but I have a feeling the car was tracked heavily (or driver hard), and then some of the race parts were removed to make the car look stock again. No evidence to back this up other than the removal of the front spoiler, but its just a gut feeling.
Please get a good PPI, from someone other than German Auto (just because they are neighbors).
I hope this helps. Good Luck!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:46 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

I also stopped by alone. Every car has a price but there a couple of red flags here that would make me walk immediately (this is just me though). It was built in April 1994. A VERY early build 993. I've had 1st hand experience with an early build new Porsche model and wouldn't buy another as a result. There are literally no service records on hand but there was a failed CA SMOG in 2002 with no explanation as to what type of repair if any resolved it. The mufflers are a question mark and I agree seem more like straight pipes and some custom glace pack ends (not bad necessarily but odd nevertheless) and when I pointed out that the engine hatch release was inop the sales guy said "no you just have to pull it really hard". FWIW once open he had to hold it up for me as the shocks were shot too. The aftermarket "aluminum look" gauges look...well, not factory for sure; clutch pedal was very stiff, less than fluid movement.

Can't comment on drive as after many questions posed (they couldn't answer) they declined to let me drive it as I did not seem like an enthusiastic buyer (true). As noted above, there's been a nose swap at some point.

That said All German Auto has a good reputation so it's possible the mechanicals are sound and a PPI might not find anything but....clearly the consignor is not a Porsche enthusiast nor is the dealer. The latter are also morons as anyone with reputable highline sales experience knows the value of either service records or at least SOME notes made from their consignor (who is not getting his money's worth here). They could easily obtain the records from All German who are right down the street from them but they haven't bothered (after clearly many have asked them) or don't care which for me would make them the last guys I'd buy any car from either.

It might still be a good buy for your intended use and budget but since you're not local and can have a positive gut check yourself upon 1st hand inspection (such that you pay the $$$$ for a proper PPI)....i'd say you can do better.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Eric in SD
Rennlist Member

I too looked at this 993. The white or silver gauges are not my cup of tea but I assumed they were factory. Would someone go to that much trouble to change the faces? Perhaps.

I didn't notice the front end change, only that the front bumper didn't have the pitting you would expect with that vintage. There is a bra in the trunk the former owner used. The exterior and paint is very good.

The wheels (Fikse) and exhaust are different, but the tires are near new PS-2's.

I agree that the dealer is second class. But what happened to all the documentation that is in the photos on their web site? They seemed too busy to find them for me. The sooner this car leaves their hands the better.

I have never heard that early build dates are a problem for the 993. The 996 and Boxster, yes, but not the 993. And the 4/94 build date is not that early, just something to be aware of. This could be a find or it could be a turkey, only a PPI will tell for sure. Black Forest in SD is a good for a second opinion. For under $300 they will do a full PPI and leakdown.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:46 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

The 1995 993 launched in the USA in April 1994 the same month this car was built. I'd say that qualifies as early for the US version (UK launch Oct 93) but Eric is right there are not specifically known issues with early 993's other than the issues with all 993's (valve guides). Early enough that it may also have been a press car since it's 1st in service date wasn't until July according to the book stamp. Without records no one can say and who knows if the many TSB updates were performed or not. I agree Black Forrest would be the best choice for the PPI.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:47 AM
foonzoo
Rennlist Member

Thanks you all for your time, this is very nice to read these comments.

I agree the situation is not ideal, me living 600 miles away. But this is the model / year / color combo I am looking for, and near my budget...

I will contact Black Forest for the ppi. Have anyone already done a ppi close to Escondido ?

Thanks again !
Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 AM
foonzoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
I agree Black Forrest would be the best choice for the PPI.
Go for Black Forest then Anyone in particular I should talk to when I'll call these guys ?

I keep you posted.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
foonzoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I have a feeling the car was tracked heavily (or driver hard), and then some of the race parts were removed to make the car look stock again. No evidence to back this up other than the removal of the front spoiler, but its just a gut feeling.
I start also to have this feeling (nose swap / the rear spoiler is defintely not stock since it looks like the C2S or C4S one, so maybe there was also a rear spoiler at some point / aftermarket exhaust system / big red break & Fikse rims, etc.).

If this car has been tracked at some point, what should I expect ? Should I really care and pass my way or is it still possible to have a good daily driver at the end of the day ?

As a reminder, I am not looking to a super-performant P-car, and just having a nice looking silver 993, reliable and fun, will satisfy my days for a long time...

Quick Reply: Any member to visit a 993 at @ Escondido, CA