Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy in US or Germany??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am an Army Transportation Officer, currently stationed in Heidelberg.

When I picked up my car at the VPC I could tell it was F'ed up as I walked up to it. Somehow they put twin dents in the roof near the sunroof, a six inch scratch in the sunroof itself, did some curb rash on both back rims, and dinged up the front bumper cover. Needless to say, I didn't take the $1000 on the spot cash settlement. I got one estimate from a local body shop (unfortunately the Porsche Zentrum folks are a$$hole$), sent it to the carrier and had the money in about 45 days. I am now in the process of getting everything fixed. So while the bottom line is my car was damaged, the carrier did fund the repairs.
--Joe
Old 11-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Andre'
Instructor

Being from Germany, and being familiar with the prices for a 993 in good condition and low miles (that's going to be hard find anyway) you'll pay a fortune for your dream car!

993's are getting hard to find in Germany, and prices are still in the EURO 30K+ range for good ones - anticipate spending at least $45K ($1.50 per EURO) not including shipping and any applicable taxes in the US. Another reason why I wouldn't buy a car in Germany is the fact WE JUST LOVE TO USE SALT to prevent our roads from freezing over - nothing else to say!

My best advice; find a car in the US preferebly from the Southwest with low miles. Good luck!

Andre'
Old 11-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andre'
Being from Germany, and being familiar with the prices for a 993 in good condition and low miles (that's going to be hard find anyway) you'll pay a fortune for your dream car!

993's are getting hard to find in Germany, and prices are still in the EURO 30K+ range for good ones - anticipate spending at least $45K ($1.50 per EURO) not including shipping and any applicable taxes in the US. Another reason why I wouldn't buy a car in Germany is the fact WE JUST LOVE TO USE SALT to prevent our roads from freezing over - nothing else to say!

My best advice; find a car in the US preferebly from the Southwest with low miles. Good luck!

Andre'
Having been spoiled with the desert climate for the last 4 years I hadn't thought about the salt/ice. My best option may be to wait until I get back to the states to make a purchase. Its so hard not to make an impulse purchase after looking at all your gorgeous cars.

Cheers,
Old 11-09-2009, 07:51 AM
Andre'
Instructor

The only true advantage (just jumped my brain) of buying a Euro spec car is the G50/20 transmission with a shorter gear ratio (US spec G50/21). Hope I didn't srew up the transmission codes...

Maybe you can find one that hasn't been driven in winter time - some folks have license plates that are seasonal. But still - the $ exchange rate is going to hurt!

Andre'
Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

No, say it isn't so! After all the work we did to convince you to buy one and ship it!
What Andre says is true, but the bottomline is owning and driving a Porsche in Germany is awesome. It is a great time to buy, the market is low and tons of folks are selling.

If it gets rusty over the winter, then you can sell it before you leave Germany.

--Joe
Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Andre'
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floodj
No, say it isn't so! After all the work we did to convince you to buy one and ship it!
What Andre says is true, but the bottomline is owning and driving a Porsche in Germany is awesome. It is a great time to buy, the market is low and tons of folks are selling.

If it gets rusty over the winter, then you can sell it before you leave Germany.

--Joe

I was under the impression he wanted to buy one and ship over to the US! Sure, buy one and have fun! And fun you will have - my wedding car was a 993 in GT2 look with around 320 bhp that I was able to drive for 4 days. It will be getting addicting...

But prices are not low! These cars will maintain their value if taken good care off, and money spent will not be lost.