Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buy in US or Germany??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I paid USD 30K for my pristine97 993 cab with 56K on it and had it shipped to Germany. I also took a job in Germany. I'd pay EURO 40K for the same model here. Take one from the US and bring it with you, sell it here when you're done and take the money home. If the Dollar stays weak, you can add a few thousand and buy a 997 used. Unless you stick with air cooled, maybe a turbo might come along for a bit extra.
Good luck deciding.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EckFe1, what did shipping cost?

Man you count go wrong with a forum that pursuades you to buy a porsche.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:35 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Hawgdriver,
Avenger6 is totally on the money.
A work colleague bought a 2008 997 C4S from Cars International (http://www.cars-intl.com/) he got a good deal. He did the factory pick-up, they don't give you the car, they present the cars--he thought it was a very cool experience.

Buying here IMHO is a bad option. Basically you will pay the same in Euros as in USD (a car that would cost $30,000 in the US would cost 30,000 Euro here).

Remember you will be authorized to ship one car here on your orders. A really slick move would be to purchase your 993 in the US and ship it at Gov't expense. Once you get here purchase a new BMW (Minis are a great deal) from the US Military dealer here. The cost of the new car includes the return shipping to the US.

Take care,
--Joe
Old 10-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Hawg,
Wait a minute, I thought fighter pilots HAD to drive Corvettes...
--Joe
Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
Hawg,
Wait a minute, I thought fighter pilots HAD to drive Corvettes...
--Joe
He's not a fighter pilot.... He flies a plane that actually gets involved in the REAL fight on the ground! We grunts LOVE that plane and the dudes who steer them.... they'll mix it up with anybody!

And he most likely isn't the best looking dude either.... seems only the pretty boys with the perfect hair are the ones in the F-16's....

Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I paid $ 2200.- incl. harbor cost, customs papers etc. Remember, I purchased the car in Dollars, moved to Germany and now earn Euros. The Euro is around 40% stronger now compared to the $. I didn't have to pay VAT and import tax because it was considered moving goods.
I'm not selling the car and won't move back anytime soon so I'm not really making any money on it. Your side is different, as you propably still get paid in USD but have to spend EURO's. You can only benefit if you buy in the US first, bring the car with you and sell it in Germany. Who knows where the Dollar will be in a few years. Maybe even worse then now?
Just a thought to consider.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the prices of 993's in Germany...

http://home.mobile.de/home/fahrzeuge...ortwagen.html?

http://cms4.roock.de/site/
Old 10-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexl911
Yeah, times 1.5 and climbing because exchange rate sux. (Though we could then remove 19% because we don't have to pay the MWST/VAT)

Interesting that the Roock site has a 996 GT3 for less than some of the "plain" 993s cost.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Unhappy Avenger6?

Originally Posted by Avenger6
He's not a fighter pilot.... He flies a plane that actually gets involved in the REAL fight on the ground! We grunts LOVE that plane and the dudes who steer them.... they'll mix it up with anybody!

And he most likely isn't the best looking dude either.... seems only the pretty boys with the perfect hair are the ones in the F-16's....

Avenger6,

I can't believe you just called me ugly. We are the last of the true Attack-Fighter pilots. And you are correct, I am no Tom cruise...about 1 foot taller and 100lbs heavier!

Most the guys do drive corvettes but I don't like having what everyone else has. I have gone through 3 BMW...all 3 series and no M's So, now it is time for a Porsche.

My wife said if I pick this job in Germany I can finally get my 911. Of course, now that her dream of moving there is getting closer she is changing her tune and saying I should buy it in Germany since they are cheaper. This is my AMMO that she is incorrect So thanks for all the inputs...keep them coming. And thanks to all the fellas on the ground doing God's work to keep us a free country!
Old 11-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Hawgdriver - All in good fun! I am an Army tanker, we are not exactly known for our handsomeness, either.

Yeah, the only way it makes sense to buy here is either you are ordering new or you are getting a 996 (Maybe Boxsters) or an older 911 that is in crappy shape. For all other cars, costs and selection are cheaper CONUS.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Hawgdriver - All in good fun! I am an Army tanker, we are not exactly known for our handsomeness, either.

Yeah, the only way it makes sense to buy here is either you are ordering new or you are getting a 996 (Maybe Boxsters) or an older 911 that is in crappy shape. For all other cars, costs and selection are cheaper CONUS.
No worries at all....my dad and sister are Army. My sis is in JBAD right now doing the Nurse gig. So did you get your car in the states or in GE?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Hawgdriver,
Did you take the job in Ramstein?

I bought mine in the California from Truspeed. If you ship it over here make sure you go through the inspection with the VPC. My car picked up about $7000+ in damages on the way over. The shipper paid for the repairs but if I hadn't looked over carefully I might not of caught everything.

--Joe
Old 11-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Hawgdriver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Floodj
Hawgdriver,
Did you take the job in Ramstein?

I bought mine in the California from Truspeed. If you ship it over here make sure you go through the inspection with the VPC. My car picked up about $7000+ in damages on the way over. The shipper paid for the repairs but if I hadn't looked over carefully I might not of caught everything.

--Joe
Thinking about a job at USAFE...what do you do???
Old 11-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawgdriver:

BMW's are fine, but you're used to a high performance machine where the power is behind you.

And in Germany you can take it out on the autobahn or the 'Ring for its exercise.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Avenger6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hawgdriver
No worries at all....my dad and sister are Army. My sis is in JBAD right now doing the Nurse gig. So did you get your car in the states or in GE?

I bought mine in U.S. and shipped it using VPC. Was pretty nervous about it. It was absolutely FILTHY on the outside, apparently caught in storms going across U.S. No damage, though they had killed the battery not knowing how to manage the alarm/drive block.

VPC is much better than they used to be, but still, you aren't the paying customer, so the service and care can be spotty. I actually had the most damage on my Montero when I brought it back from Germany. They effed up the taillight and rear bumper cover. No sheet metal damage so I took their max cash on the spot, did the repairs myself (except the paint on the bumper cover) and came out a little ahead.

I'd just call USAA, max the insurance (they have separate shipping insurance available) and remember that, short of them dropping it in the ocean or the ship sinking, any damage will likely be minor and cosmetic.

Other choice is paying about $2000 for shipping privately, and I don't even know how you will get the car picked from the port, since when the come for .mil people, they are handled separately, with no customs or import taxes. You'd have to figure out how that would work.