Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Getting desperate! Is a C2S with a tiptronic transmission worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,381 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
What happens with Tip trans when you spin at speed? -- rolling backwards and such.
when you let off the gas, the torque coverter should unlock, and nothing happens.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:24 PM
turbobooost
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BELIEVE IT !!! THE VALUES OF THE 10K AND UNDER 993 "S" CARS ARE STRONG !! BUT IT TAKES THE RIGHT COLOR,OPTIONS AND CONDITION OF COURSE TO PULL THE BIG MONEY REGARDLESS OF THE 12 YEAR OLD AGE BRACKET...OWNING ONE OF THE LAST AIR COOLED WIDE BODY CARS IS THE MIND SET..
Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
What happens with Tip trans when you spin at speed? -- rolling backwards and such.

Speaking of rolling backwards; that would be the main reason for a Tip in S.F.

(-%

tino
Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by turbobooost
BELIEVE IT !!! THE VALUES OF THE 10K AND UNDER 993 "S" CARS ARE STRONG !! BUT IT TAKES THE RIGHT COLOR,OPTIONS AND CONDITION OF COURSE TO PULL THE BIG MONEY REGARDLESS OF THE 12 YEAR OLD AGE BRACKET...OWNING ONE OF THE LAST AIR COOLED WIDE BODY CARS IS THE MIND SET..
Yeah, well that's all fine if you want to spend big $$ for a collector car or garage queen.

But if you do spend that $$ and actually use the car, then after you put on 10-20k more miles the value goes back down to the current street value rate of the 30-40k cars. It's almost like buying a new 997 (or any other expensive car) and watching it depreciate faster than a speeding bullet. Unless you park it and rarely drive it.

I'm guessing most here on RL are users and not collectors.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:22 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
when you let off the gas, the torque coverter should unlock, and nothing happens.
wrong,
this is the answer people say when they have never driven a 993 tiptronic.
and there have been loads of biased answers on this thread, without having tried a 993 tiptronic.

In any gear, above 8 kilometers per hour, torque converter is locked, unless whilst shifting.
In a 993 tiptronic, if you accelerate in first gear to 5000 rpm for example, and let off the gas, the car decelerates IN GEAR exactly as a manual gearbox with clutch released, until under 8 kmph, just before it starts to stall.
Contrary to what most who never tried a 993 tip imagine, when you are in fourth gear at low speed, and let off the gas, the car doesn't go in a pseudo Neutral gear as other automatic cars. It is NOT as if you stepped on the clutch. It stays in gear decelerating. In fourth, it decelerates until just when it is going to stall, it retrogrades down to third, and then second, etc. Thus converter locked.
There is one case where the converter stays locked under 8 kmph, it is under lateral acceleration, which brings us to the question.

If you spin, I would say it will react as a manual box in gear, and will lock the rear wheels from rolling backwards if converter still locked.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:24 AM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by Canyon56

I'm guessing most here on RL are users and not collectors.
I am probably one of them, a user. Give me a 1996-98 C2S or C4S with the factory aero kit, sport seats, good color and maintenance like valve guide, clutch has been done with less than 50K miles, clean records and in very good condition, between 36K to $40K, I will be all over it!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,381 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
wrong,
this is the answer people say when they have never driven a 993 tiptronic.
and there have been loads of biased answers on this thread, without having tried a 993 tiptronic.

In any gear, above 8 kilometers per hour, torque converter is locked, unless whilst shifting.
In a 993 tiptronic, if you accelerate in first gear to 5000 rpm for example, and let off the gas, the car decelerates IN GEAR exactly as a manual gearbox with clutch released, until under 8 kmph, just before it starts to stall.
Contrary to what most who never tried a 993 tip imagine, when you are in fourth gear at low speed, and let off the gas, the car doesn't go in a pseudo Neutral gear as other automatic cars. It is NOT as if you stepped on the clutch. It stays in gear decelerating. In fourth, it decelerates until just when it is going to stall, it retrogrades down to third, and then second, etc. Thus converter locked.
There is one case where the converter stays locked under 8 kmph, it is under lateral acceleration, which brings us to the question.

If you spin, I would say it will react as a manual box in gear, and will lock the rear wheels from rolling backwards if converter still locked.
Ok, I stand corrected, although that is pretty unusual for an automatic.

that said, why so defensive? You didn't buy the enthusiasts choice, and I'm sure you had your reasons for it.

Its ok man...as long as you like it.

Quick Reply: Getting desperate! Is a C2S with a tiptronic transmission worth it?