Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Getting desperate! Is a C2S with a tiptronic transmission worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
There is a fascinating article in this month's Excellence about a conversion project on a 964, done by a guy in the Northwest.

It is a formidable undertaking,
Thread hijack ...

Reading that article got me thinking along those lines again. I've done projects more involved than that.

I'm 'sorta' watching for a 6 speed cab at the right price. I'd swap the trans and sell the cab with the tip for $6 to $8k less (full disclosure of course)? Or I might be able to convince my wife to keep the cab and sell her Boxster. I'd just have to pay for new wear items, new clutch/LWF, short shift, ... .

I know, I know, it would likely cost less to sell my car as is and buy a 6 speed. But ownership of a Porsche is rarely about the most cost effective solution.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:19 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imho, an auto box on an E55 is a totally different sort of animal than a tip on a 993. I wouldn't compare your past experience with the E55 to a 993.

Patience is a virtue. I find that when I'm NOT looking for a car, the right one comes along. Maybe stop thinking about buying one and let it come to you

As has been already pointed out, there is no real shortage in 993s. Take your time, because during that time you will also learn more about the 993, and understood a lot more about your own personal needs and desires.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by red96m3
If what I have read so far, the tiptronic transmission is a regular automatic with manual shift buttons, similar to my E55 perhaps.
Nah...I have the older E55, the feel is plenty different. The torque makes all the difference, you have to wind up the 993. In the E it's always on.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:44 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 61 Posts

Not if you want a manual it's not..

Most of us spent months and months looking for the right car.. Be patient.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:50 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't forget that your friends will make fun of you behind your back if you buy a Tip. That isn't a joke.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:53 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the inputs. I will try to stay on the path of getting the right car (think.... aero kit and sport seats, and right color)... Just some cars are there are so close...

If what I have read so far, the tiptronic transmission is a regular automatic with manual shift buttons, similar to my E55 perhaps.

I can drive both transmission type. I guess I am getting sway by a car's pricing.

Here are some previous cars I owned before:
2005 MB E55 AMG - auto (current)
1996 C4S - manual (mileage was getting close to 100K before I sold it)
2004 BMW E46 M3 Convertible - manual
2002 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Dinan S3R 462HP - SMG transmission
1999 BMW E36 M3 Coupe - Dinan S3 350HP - manual
2001 BMW E39 M5 - manual
1998 BMW E36 M3 Sedan - manual
1999 BMW E36 M3 Coupe - manual
2001 BMW M Roadster - manual
2004 Honda S2000 - manual
1988 BMW E30 M3 - manual
1997 Acura NSX - manual
1988/1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged - manual and auto
1991 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - manual
After looking at your list ^....Turbo or nothing.....
Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't let desperation force you into buying a tip if that is not what you started out looking for. Desperation is dangerous when spending this kind of money.
chuck
Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 AM
speedy88
Banned

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
After looking at your list ^....Turbo or nothing.....
That's was I was thinking before (flew down to San Diego this summer to pick one up but was very disappointed), but since then I purchased another home and in the middle of remodeling. So, a 993 C2S or C4S will be just fine! I must be getting old, fast and speed is not on the top of my list anymore. Just looking for something original, rare and with timeless lines. I guess with some of the cars out there, 0-60MPH in low 4 seconds doesn't seem quick enough! 0-60 in 3.3-3.4 seconds for GTR, Z06/ZR1, and maybe a tweaked 993 turbo.

Please PM or email me if you see a nice, original C2S or C4S with a factory aero kit and sport seats. Hoping to pay in the high 30s to 40s for one. Mileage is not a huge item if service records are up to date.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM
tctung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, Tip is better than manual if used as daily drive. Also, with a Tip you can learn trail braking (left foot braking) and use it on mountain roads.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 1,776 Posts

I must be getting old, fast and speed is not on the top of my list anymore. Just looking for something original, rare and with timeless lines.

Hoping to pay in the high 30s to 40s for one. Mileage is not a huge item if service records are up to date.

Thanks.
Now you're talkin'. I would skip the C4S and go straight to a C2S. Your price range is spot-on but I would look as high as high $40s, especially if you're set on the Aero Kit and sports seats (sought after and expensive options). The hunt is half the fun.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

No one really answered your original question. The SMG transmissions on modern cars is essentially a manual transmission with an electronic clutch. There is no clutch pedal to change gears. Insead, paddle levers on the steering wheel do the gear changes. The time for a gear change varies a whole lot. On current F1 cars, I think I recall reading gear changes are done in approx .1 sec. On my 993 with Tip, it takes more like 1 second. The best of the current "road car SMG's" probably take .3 seconds, almost as fast as you can shift a manual. I think the current 997 Turbo with its current implementation of the Tiptronic (or maybe it's now an SMG) is faster then the manual (to 60 mph) because the SMG/Tip can shift faster than you can manually.

The other point is when you come to stop, if the SMG does not have a torque converter, then it has to declutch in order to have the engine run while the car is at a stop.

Modern SMG's also "blip" the throttle to match the engine speed when you select a lower gear. And it matches the engine speed "exactly" so there is no lurch (either back or forward) when the lower gear is engaged.

I can tell you driving around greater Seattle, the Tip makes the car much more enjoyable than with a manual. I've owned both types of cars in Seattle and now having owned a 993/Tip, I would never go back to a manual for everyday use.

Don't let the folks here assault your manhood if you decide to buy a Tip. Current F1 drivers only use SMG transmissions. And they are definately not wimps. It's simply a matter of what makes you faster.

Regarding the "delay" in a 993 Tip in shifting, the 1 second it takes to shift up (for some reason, I find downshifts are much faster) is something you ajust to within a few shifts. On downshifting, I find I have to "blip" the throttle to match engine speed to the lower gear. You can let the transmission do it for you, but I like to do it manually.

If you search on transmissions problems on, for example, the PCA national web site, you will find many references to the Tip being "rock solid". Lots of comments from independent mechanics who post there such as: "I've never had one go bad".
Old 10-15-2009, 01:21 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
No one really answered your original question. The SMG transmissions on modern cars is essentially a manual transmission with an electronic clutch. There is no clutch pedal to change gears. Insead, paddle levers on the steering wheel do the gear changes. The time for a gear change varies a whole lot. On current F1 cars, I think I recall reading gear changes are done in approx .1 sec. On my 993 with Tip, it takes more like 1 second. The best of the current "road car SMG's" probably take .3 seconds, almost as fast as you can shift a manual. I think the current 997 Turbo with its current implementation of the Tiptronic (or maybe it's now an SMG) is faster then the manual (to 60 mph) because the SMG/Tip can shift faster than you can manually.

The other point is when you come to stop, if the SMG does not have a torque converter, then it has to declutch in order to have the engine run while the car is at a stop.

Modern SMG's also "blip" the throttle to match the engine speed when you select a lower gear. And it matches the engine speed "exactly" so there is no lurch (either back or forward) when the lower gear is engaged.

I can tell you driving around greater Seattle, the Tip makes the car much more enjoyable than with a manual. I've owned both types of cars in Seattle and now having owned a 993/Tip, I would never go back to a manual for everyday use.

Don't let the folks here assault your manhood if you decide to buy a Tip. Current F1 drivers only use SMG transmissions. And they are definately not wimps. It's simply a matter of what makes you faster.

Regarding the "delay" in a 993 Tip in shifting, the 1 second it takes to shift up (for some reason, I find downshifts are much faster) is something you ajust to within a few shifts. On downshifting, I find I have to "blip" the throttle to match engine speed to the lower gear. You can let the transmission do it for you, but I like to do it manually.

If you search on transmissions problems on, for example, the PCA national web site, you will find many references to the Tip being "rock solid". Lots of comments from independent mechanics who post there such as: "I've never had one go bad".
hmmm..you make me want to go drive my car...it's been over a month...
Old 10-15-2009, 01:47 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
... On current F1 cars, I think I recall reading gear changes are done in approx .1 sec. On my 993 with Tip, it takes more like 1 second. The best of the current "road car SMG's" probably take .3 seconds, almost as fast as you can shift a manual.
It's actually 25ms, or .025 sec. But it should be pretty fast considering the gearbox on an F1 car runs $185K.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:00 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

My buddy bought one against advice, got bored and had a bitch reselling due to the Tip. Just say no
Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Dan V
Race Car

You'll never be the next Hans Stuck if you don't have a clutch pedal in your 993. Do you really want to go through life not being Hans Stuck? Seriously...

Quick Reply: Getting desperate! Is a C2S with a tiptronic transmission worth it?