Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great picture thread.
Thanks for posting guys,
chuck
Old 10-18-2009, 12:30 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

So... when 'accidents' like that occur are there repercussions for the drivers? I was surprised that the video's don't have any after race interviews with the Flying Lizard driver (was it Patrick Long or does he drive for them still?).
Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
So... when 'accidents' like that occur are there repercussions for the drivers? I was surprised that the video's don't have any after race interviews with the Flying Lizard driver (was it Patrick Long or does he drive for them still?).
Did a little digging and answered my own questions. Drivers were Patrick Long and Joerg Bergmeister, Bergmeister brought the car in to finish. Sounds like the Corvette driver was definitely using "all of the track" ... Here's the re-cap from the Flying Lizard website:

"[sic] With two laps to go, both cars were neck and neck on the front straight with the No. 3 on the inside when the No. 3 suddenly went off track, short cutting through pit lane to overtake Joerg, which is not allowed by IMSA rules. Race control notified the cars to switch positions and Joerg retook the lead.

Starting the final lap, it was clear that both drivers were giving it everything they had to cross the finish line first. It came down to the last hundred yards: the two cars flew through Turn 11, the No. 45 in the lead, when the No. 3 Corvette made contact with the rear of the No. 45, allowing him to get next to the No. 45 on the inside going down the front straight. As they neared the finish line, the No. 3, now nearly touching the inside wall, but still slightly behind the No. 45, pushed to overtake the No. 45 on the inside. The No. 3 moved to go past the No. 45, but without enough room to maneuver, the two cars made contact, sending the No. 3 spinning across the track in front of the No. 45, with a hard impact into the far concrete wall. The No. 45 took the win, with the No. 3 second. The No. 44 finished fifth in GT2.

Bergmeister said, "It definitely was not the way that I wanted to finish out the race. I hope that Jan (Magnussen) is OK and I am sorry that the race ended in contact. A huge thank you to the team: this race was won in the pits. I'm honored to be part of the 100th Porsche win and my second championship in a row with Flying Lizard."
"

What I don't understand is how the number 3 Corvette came in second? Did the driver get out of the car and run across the finish line?

Quick Reply: Le Mans pics.....