Sponsored by:

Wiper washer/headlight washer motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 569 Posts
Question Wiper washer/headlight washer motor

My headlight washers work great with plenty of high pressure washing, but when I activite my wiper stalk controlling the windshield washers, I get nothing......fuses # 24 is okay for headlight and windshield washer circuit.............

Couple of questions -

1) Does the same motor operate the headlight washers and winshield washers?
2) I guess if YES to above quesiton that same motor operates both, it could be a "switch" within stalk mechanism? Anyone with experience on similar situation.....or advice on how to proceed before dealer visit?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.............
Old 10-07-2009, 02:28 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two washer motors and I'm not sure which is which but you can trace the washer lines and figure it out pretty easily. Both are on the forward side of the tank and accessible through the left side headlight cavity - having double jointed wrists helps with the access but otherwise it's a pretty easy DIY job. One note, when I replaced my headlight washer I found the pump has been superceeded with a later model pump that has a different electrical connection. I's not a big deal to change it, just make sure you have all the partsyou need before you start.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:58 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default Washer motor - windshield

I will focus on windshield washer motor area, as the headlights washer motor works fine. Thanks for the tips and motor info..........

I will trace the water lines and see what I can come up with..........my feeling is that it is a switch movement in the stalk, because I got them to work for a moment a few minutes ago when I moved the stalk to find a "sweet spot"....
Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM
sbarracl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my car, the driver side washer was not spraying. THe hose to the nozzle was kinked. Might look at that as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect 3 things...

1. Bad/intermittent electrical connector in your steering wheel stalk
2. Kink/blockage in the tubing (in the 'gap'/'tunnel' area of the underside of the hood)
3. The 'valves' in the tubing were installed the wrong way around

3. Can happen if you've had the hood re-sprayed and the techies put things back incorrectly.
2. Is likely but I wouldn't hang my hat on it.
1. Is more likely. You should be able to apply battery power to the motor (if you can get access to it) and, thus, isolate everything 'south' of the actual switch itself.

Personally, I'd take apart the stalk and check all the connections and clean them with WD-40/switchcleaner or just re-solder some of them 'just to be sure'. Since you're going to be 'jiggling' this area a lot, I'd make a point of flipping up *both* windscreen wipers AWAY from the windscreen glass so that you are just spraying windscreen fluid on the glass - and not constantly rubbing DRY wiper blade rubber (on the glass) every time you get a 'successful connection'.
Just remember, with the wiper blades flipped up, to NOT, NOT, NOT open the hood/trunk !!!

Bon chance!

Gerry
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default thanks for information

Thanks for the insight and sound advice............I will work on it later this week.....
Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default Conclusion........

Problem was the switch in the stalk control......whole assembly with turn signal, cruise control, wiper/washer, computer stalk has to be replaced as one part for $ 433.00 from Asheville Deal Porsche, which was less expensive than dealer in Atlanta who quoted $ 537.00....

Performance Products had part assembly listed as $ 467.00.........

Labor = $ 120.00.................

both pumps, relay, fuse, motors, all fine...

only negative....part take a week to receive in Asheville...........se la vie.....thanks for all the advice and suggestions................
Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Question Recurring issue - Question - design flaw?

g_murray was right with # 1 identified as the issue, BUT......

I replaced the stalk switch which was $ 400 since it is one piece that has all the stalk controls with it on the steering wheel assembly and now that one has possibly gone bad.....it is only pulling 7 volts which is not enough to trigger the water out of the jets when depressed toward driver.......tech said when stalk pulled very hard toward driver, almost breaking the stalk, it almost pulls 12 volts and washer jets work but not consistently, SO...another switch has been ordered....as this one may also be defective?

All other stuff is okay....Washer pumps/electronics are okay, lines are okay, fluid IS in the tank and not frozen (-50 degree solution), relay is okay (and replaced), fuse okay.....headlamp washers work okay...

Wonder if Porsche had a bad design in the stalk control for the washer trigger switch and this is a defect?

Have others that use the 993 as daily drivers (in the winter particularly) and use their windshield washers to clear their vision and have this issue? Garage queens probably don't use the wiper washers often, if at all......

Puzzling situation....................
Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course, there remains the zero cost DIY solution, assuming that headlight washing is not critical ... swap the connectors on the two pumps behind the headlight, and squirt the windshield with the headlight stroke on the stalk ...
Old 02-05-2010, 02:56 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Good idea, thanks......headlamp washers not that critical unless I am off roading!!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:20 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Default Finally fixed !!!!

Apparently the new switch was also bad after the original went and the third new one has done the trick!

It cost $ 400 for the part, $ 100 for labor and 3 visits to the dealer......

over a two month period waiting for the part a week each time....the part is composed of all the stalk switches so you have to remove steering wheel and replace the whole assembly with all stalks.....

problem was electrical with second new switch not carrying the voltage properly at 12-14 volts...was only pulling 7 volts and not enough to trigger the washer jets.......

Also...one Rlist member said the washer lines in the hood of 993 were heated..........not the case...........using minus 50 degree washer fluid does that trick to keep the water flowing.........
Old 02-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good that you sweated this one through!
My hood mounted washer nozzels are heated - not so the lines: you can see the wire harness to them when the hood is lifted ...
Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Thanks.....nozzles heated.....cool! I knew my mirrors were heated.....thx..

Quick Reply: Wiper washer/headlight washer motor