Sponsored by:

Commission replica RS swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:41 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
Prices of RS swaybars are pretty silly....$1400 or so?

Would it be that hard to commission an exact replica? I live in metro Detroit sorrounded by prototype shops without much business these days. Actually, there are shops in town that do nothing but make swaybars. I just can't imagine it would be that tough given the right specs (shape, material, etc). Im pretty sure there's no tooling invloved. I believe it's a matter of programming the bending machine to shape the tube to the spec.

Of course, I'm not the guy to lead the build of the spec, but I can certainly shop it around.

Any thoughts? Or is this a waste of time?...

Superb Idea.
good luck sorting this out.
I'd buy a set for ~ $600.

Originally Posted by Justin Keenan
I don't want to say waste of time, but unless you need RS bars, there are plenty of good after market bars out there.
all that i've been able to find are far too large a diameter for anything but a dedicated big track car.

cheers

Craig
Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. That's why I've been thinking about this. A quick google search reveals several "made to measure" sway bar manufacturers. However, minimums are high. Like 25 units.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you allowed to replicate something like this to RS specs? I would think a patent (or patent law)would apply or it would probably have been done. No lawyer here just thinking out loud. P-car guy speaking, if a set were available I would be in line as well.

Mike
Old 10-03-2009, 07:13 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having lumbered through the patent process over the past couple years, its very unlikely.

Way too much overlap with relative and related applications. If Porsche had invented this style of anti-roll device, then everyone with this type of device would have to license the patent.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Having lumbered through the patent process over the past couple years, its very unlikely.

Way too much overlap with relative and related applications. If Porsche had invented this style of anti-roll device, then everyone with this type of device would have to license the patent.
Thanks for the clarification. You never know.

Mike
Old 10-05-2009, 07:59 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Are RS sways the only adjustable ones out there? I was told that with a lowered car you need to have the RS style that goes under the bottom arm, is that not true? i have ROW's and TRG links with the Pss9
s and it seems to be working OK although I feel like it should be handling better with the shocks turned all the way to stiff.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
On a lowered car you have to use curved rear drop links, oem RS are the only ones i've been able to find
That's usually true, but it depends on the shocks. More exactly, it depends on how low your drop link mount goes. On Motons or JRZ shocks, you can use short straight Tarett drop links and still reach every hole on RS bars for a car at RS height. Works for me.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

I have the TRG sways and have been very happy with them and with the performance that I have gotten out of them. No noise, no loosening collar issues, nada. If anything, the rear bar is a bit bigger than I prefer for my car's set up (can't make ther bar any softer), but someone else's car might like the bigger bar if they are running softer springs than what I have on my Motons.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 270 Posts

I had TRG's and they clunked around. Later switched to RS bars, which I should have done from the get-go.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Evan Fullerton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to have them made why not make RSR spec at 25mm front and either 21mm or 19mm rear? I have RSR bars on my car.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
That's usually true, but it depends on the shocks. More exactly, it depends on how low your drop link mount goes. On Motons or JRZ shocks, you can use short straight Tarett drop links and still reach every hole on RS bars for a car at RS height. Works for me.
You mean like this Moton equipped 993, I can't see straights working here either.

Yours must be different from anything i've ever seen
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
You mean like this Moton equipped 993, I can't see straights working here either.

Yours must be different from anything i've ever seen
Just lower his drop link mount about 1" or 2" and he could use a straight link. You can see there's plenty of room to lower it. My setup is exactly like his except my drop link mount is a bit lower.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Just lower his drop link mount about 1" or 2" and he could use a straight link. You can see there's plenty of room to lower it. My setup is exactly like his except my drop link mount is a bit lower.
The issue becomes the fact that the lower the swaybar shock mount the higher the horizontal component causing the mount to rototate. Like lots of other things, It may work but isn't necessarily good practice
Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark - You forgot to caveat that your car is essentially a race car and sees minimal street use

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I have the TRG sways and have been very happy with them and with the performance that I have gotten out of them. No noise, no loosening collar issues, nada. If anything, the rear bar is a bit bigger than I prefer for my car's set up (can't make ther bar any softer), but someone else's car might like the bigger bar if they are running softer springs than what I have on my Motons.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:45 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 589 Posts

Yes. That's why I've been thinking about this. A quick google search reveals several "made to measure" sway bar manufacturers. However, minimums are high. Like 25 units.
bump?

Quick Reply: Commission replica RS swaybars?