993 Forum 1995-1998

getting airbox back on ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting airbox back on ?

anyone know how to get the airbox back on ? (I don't mean the cover I mean the actual box that bolts to the manifold)

at the rear the hole with rubber seal slips over the inlet that emerges back right of the engine bay. There is a hook or a bracket at the top of the filter box that would seem to clip up and over a tab thats on the end of the inlet pipe. But I cannot work out how to get that clip over the tab ? It looks like you could mate the two and then twist but I simplyu cannot rotate the airbox enough to clear the tab and pus it in all the way ?

any ideas woudl be appreciated
Old 10-02-2009, 01:29 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me guess, you have a Vram car. You've got to rotate the MAF to get the tab to lock the airbox to the MAF. See post # 11 in my VRAM conversion link in my sig for a description of the process.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 02:44 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jackal2513
anyone know how to get the airbox back on ? (I don't mean the cover I mean the actual box that bolts to the manifold)

at the rear the hole with rubber seal slips over the inlet that emerges back right of the engine bay. There is a hook or a bracket at the top of the filter box that would seem to clip up and over a tab thats on the end of the inlet pipe. But I cannot work out how to get that clip over the tab ? It looks like you could mate the two and then twist but I simplyu cannot rotate the airbox enough to clear the tab and pus it in all the way ?

any ideas woudl be appreciated
it's not fun.
i recommend you take all the bits of the VRAM, then practice the push-to-engage-hooks-then-spin-the-airbox-to lock-into-place maneuver several times outside the car where you have plenty of room.

Then you can crawl back into the engine bay and do the same maneuver in 1/10 the space.

cheers

Craig
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 PM
jackal2513
Racer

thnak very much guys, thats good of you

does anyone have a pic of the mass airfolw sensor and how its secured ?

everything is back on so I have no idea what to undo to loosen the MAF sensor and I certainly can't see anything

is it a hidden worm drive clip ?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:59 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jackal2513
thnak very much guys, thats good of you

does anyone have a pic of the mass airfolw sensor and how its secured ?

everything is back on so I have no idea what to undo to loosen the MAF sensor and I certainly can't see anything

is it a hidden worm drive clip ?
There's a hose clamp that secures the MAF to the bellow on the intake manifold. If the engine is in the car, you need to insert a long flexible 7mm nut driver to loosen in the clamp if you want to avoid removing the ICV. Once the the clamp is loose, rotate the MAF up to unlock the airbox or down to secure it.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
jackal2513
Racer

thanks joe

will take a look tomorrow when its light again
Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Jackal,

as Joe says there is a jubilee clip right at the top of the engine just under the sound mat. If you follow the metal pipe for the ICV you can just make it out. A 7mm socket on a wobble extension drive will loosen this off.

The non varioram MAF is held in place by two metal clips like some dizzy caps but the varioram version is held in place using a bayonet style mount. The airbox has two lugs on it with groves in them that bars on the MAF engage. An inch or so in circular movement

I loosen the MAF on the rubber elbow connected to the inlet manifold and disconnect the MAF connector (twist and pull). I then turn it upwards a bit. I then feed in the airbox and push it onto the MAF mouth firmly taking care not to disengage the rubber ring in the airbox. Using the wiring socket on the MAF you twist this to engage the bayonet connector in the airbox.

Tighten up the jubilee clip, reconnect the MAF and you're done.

If none of this works, move the AC pump off it's bracket and stick your arm under the v'ram and it all becomes much easier.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 PM
jackal2513
Racer

thanks Guards

isnt it possible to rotate said Jubilee clip so its facing outward, towards you ?
Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Fortunately Porsche thought of this. Fitted correctly, the worm drive bit on the Jubilee clip sits against a rubber stop built onto the rubber elbow connecting the MAF to the inlet manifold. It stops the jubilee clip rotating backwards where you can't get at it. Where it sits on the stop, it's at it's highest position (give or take) and best to get at with a socket. As long as you don't loosen it off too much you can tighten and loosen it with no problems. Pressing on it with a socket is not an issue as the stop holds it in place.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:53 PM
jackal2513
Racer

great stuff

i have plenty of bendy attachments so once i locate it it should be a doddle

thanks again all
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgfen
it's not fun.
i recommend you take all the bits of the VRAM...

I thought for sure you were going to finish this sentance "and pitch them in the dustbin"

-reiner

Quick Reply: getting airbox back on ?